ISU press conference about band situation

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
That was easily the post of the year on here, and Fact #3 is very much fact.

The problem is not the mentality of "do not break ranks" here.

The problem was trying to ramrod through a packed crowd.

I do not remember trying to do that in high school or college. Probably a reason for that.

People pull down their pants and **** in the middle of the street. Fact.

That doesn’t make it a necessary activity.

• Dumb
Reactions: Sigmapolis

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
That video shows a complete clusterfuck. But if an ISU fan assaulted a member of Iowa's marching band, and wasn't acting in reasonable self-defense, I want them expelled/banned/arrested.

Staying in rank makes sense, I get that. But just because Barta is using the term assault, let's not jump to conclusions. The video obviously shows the band pushing their way into the crowd. Under those circumstances, it would not surprise me to see some pushing back. Is that assault or just standing your ground in a crowded area?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
That was easily the post of the year on here, and Fact #3 is very much fact.

The problem is not the mentality of "do not break ranks" here.

The problem was trying to ramrod through a packed crowd.

I do not remember trying to do that in high school or college. Probably a reason for that.

And I agree. The concept of not "breaking ranks" is fine and dandy. But marching bands, as far as I know, weren't created for the purpose of piling their way through crowded areas. So I don't think you can use that rationale to justify what they did.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Staying in rank makes sense, I get that. But just because Barta is using the term assault, let's not jump to conclusions. The video obviously shows the band pushing their way into the crowd. Under those circumstances, it would not surprise me to see some pushing back. Is that assault or just standing your ground in a crowded area?

Exactly. Let's also keep in mind they haven't exactly had a history of being straight forward or honest throughout this debacle.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Are they 10? Do we need to line them all up along a wall and pat their heads for a count? Know where the bus is. Walk to bus. If not on bus when time to leave you are an adult figure it out.
Moving any group requires that stuff. And I enjoy bands at games. They're effective super fans.
But there were some band members that thought they were in some battle hardened military grade tactical unit. That was annoying in my years, and it sounds like it's worse now.

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010

We don't even know for certain that a band member was assaulted. We certainly don't know who did it, or what the specific circumstances were.

If someone was getting pushed, and they "pushed back," could that be reasonable self defense? Sure. But maybe an angry ISU fan just saw an Iowa band member in a situation they never should have been in and decided to get a little revenge. At this point, it's all speculation.

• Agree
Reactions: somecyguy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
And I agree. The concept of not "breaking ranks" is fine and dandy. But marching bands, as far as I know, weren't created for the purpose of piling their way through crowded areas. So I don't think you can use that rational to justify what they did.

A public uni band is not in the military. They have no ranks. Disrespectful to the armed forces.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Can we all just stop to think, The TOE might not know East From West.....so when they were told to go out the East gate they thought the West gate was the East gate.......Can they be that stupid......
Its either:
Stupidity.....Negligence....or....them being Antagonizing D bags doing it on purpose.

Honestly... any of those actually could be the case. And now crying foul is all they can do, because they know they can't actually report anything because they are just as much to blame if not more than those they are trying blame.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Can we all just stop to think, The TOE might not know East From West.....so when they were told to go out the East gate they thought the West gate was the East gate.......Can they be that stupid......
Its either:
Stupidity.....Negligence....or....them being Antagonizing D bags doing it on purpose.

Honestly... any of those actually could be the case. And now crying foul is all they can do, because they know they can't actually report anything because they are just as much to blame if not more than those they are trying blame.

True they are "The Team out East" and at the same time "University of Illinois - Chicago West Campus"

I can see where they would get confused

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
And I agree. The concept of not "breaking ranks" is fine and dandy. But marching bands, as far as I know, weren't created for the purpose of piling their way through crowded areas. So I don't think you can use that rationale to justify what they did.

This is why I am looking at whoever led them into the crowd.

The rank-and-file HMB probably did what they were told to do.

You have no control of where you are doing upfront from "J" rank.

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010

I'm not justifying what the Iowa band's leadership did. What they did was negligent/reckless (which was fact #2). But the band's members are just following orders. Some of them might have even realized what a stupid, terrible decision it was while it was happening. But if they had broken ranks at that point, they would have just exposed themselves to even more danger.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I'm not justifying what the Iowa band's leadership did. What they did was negligent/reckless (which was fact #2). But the band's members are just following orders. Some of them might have even realized what a stupid, terrible decision it was while it was happening. But if they had broken ranks at that point, they would have just exposed themselves to even more danger.

Regardless of what hawk fans, administration, and media want you to believe, Ames isn't a god damn war zone. These are young adults, not 10 year olds. They can handle their own and would have made it to the bus fine. Nobody is asking these kids to go absurdly out of their line. Letting others mingle through the area would not have displaced them far from each other.

• Winner
Reactions: g4ce

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
So after reading the majority of the comments and after being in the midst of this mess, I will say this:

I didn’t witness the band playing the fight song on their way out. Is it possible that they did, as I wanted to wait for the crowd to clear a little more prior to leaving. I also didn’t witness any of the alleged conduct either. Everything appeared to be fairly cordial.

When we walked down the hill to exit, it was as congested if not more than usual for those waiting to leave. This was mainly attributed to the band marching in formation out of the stadium 4-6 across and they stayed in that formation literally to their bus which created a weird cross roads where the band had to go left and the fans had to disperse to their vehicles (literally any direction other than south).

While the band was leaving they were chanting a variety of what I would call “silly band chants”. None that I heard were offensive or poking fun at fans. What was annoying AF was that they were in formation, marching into a crowd, which from my angle, should NEVER happen. This activity was compounded by them doing various marching tricks where they would turn, stop, turnaround, continue. Again, NOTHING that should be done in a crowd. Seeing this, I adjusted my patience as we weren’t moving very fast to begin with and tried to give them their room.

Hearing that they were advised to go out the east side and instead followed the crowd really irks me as they could have done everything they wanted to do and avoided it all. That is the definition of reckless.

At least the ISUCFB”V”MB demonstrates common sense to break up and walk out as individuals instead of the entire band marching out together.

Last edited:

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
I guess this comes back to my ignorance about marching bands. I had no idea that drunk idiots infiltrating the ranks of a marching band was such an issue. Shame on me.

I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but do you ever watch the ISU Marching Band enter or leave the stadium at Jack Trice? That is the normal behavior for a marching band before and after a football game. Entering and leaving the stadium is a performance that is watched by thousands of people. This is normal college marching band practice.

What the Iowa band did that is not normal or appropriate is that they forced their way through an area that was fully and completely crowded. That was a bad decision and is what caused all the problems in the first place. Again, that was the fault of their leadership who put them in a bad position.

You keep wanting to put this in context of the team - the equivalent would the team making sure no one crosses their path between the Bergstrom and the stadium, or from the bus to the Bergstrom. They have security making sure they have plenty of space and those walks are part of the show they put on for fans that day. No, they don't go out in a football formation but what they do is carefully controlled and they don't allow fans to just walk through the middle of them.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I know this is posted previously in the thread, but this is just absurd.

Christ almighty. They ought to sack his ass for incompetence. It's a hell of a trick to have both IU and Iowa State supporters both pissed off at you over the same incident for different reasons.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Yeah, as a band member you put a certain level of trust into leadership that you are being taken the appropriate places in the appropriate way at the appropriate times. You often have no idea where you're headed or how to get back.

A little easier here given the buses are right outside, but there are definitely some venues where if i'd gotten separated from the group i would have had no idea where i was going.

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup