Re-al Deal

CnG

Jul 18, 2019
Tom Manning needs to find a way to get Re-al (deal) Mitchell on the field, and I don't mean in special situation, I mean every series. He's too much of a special athlete to use only in mop up action. Whether as a flanker back taking a reverse with a run pass option, in the wildcat, or even as a dual running back, he needs to be out there. My fear is that if he's not utilized, we'll lose him to transfer.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Yeah he looked good but not sure if all of that can be assessed by a fan from a couple series versus what a team of highly paid coaches see every day.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Agree. Re-al has got starting potential. Thought about that too if he doesn’t get more snaps. Can you blame him? I like the guy...

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
Tom Manning needs to find a way to get Re-al (deal) Mitchell on the field, and I don't mean in special situation, I mean every series. He's too much of a special athlete to use only in mop up action. Whether as a flanker back taking a reverse with a run pass option, in the wildcat, or even as a dual running back, he needs to be out there. My fear is that if he's not utilized, we'll lose him to transfer.
Welcome to the big leagues, where depth means you run the risk of losing guys that aren't playing.

Re-al is our back up QB, and to put him in harm's way too much could really screw things up if God forbid, Purdy gets hurt. You want a special package that gets run once or twice a game? OK, but a position change would increase the chances of losing him, IMO. He's a QB.

Purdy gets 6 TD's and 500+ yards and we're enamored with his backup. That's some crazy **** right there.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
You cannot get Mitchell hurt. If you get him hurt then you have to neuter your offensive plan with Purdy to keep him extra safe.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Welcome to the big leagues, where depth means you run the risk of losing guys that aren't playing.

Re-al is our back up QB, and to put him in harm's way too much could really screw things up if God forbid, Purdy gets hurt. You want a special package that gets run once or twice a game? OK, but a position change would increase the chances of losing him, IMO. He's a QB.

Purdy gets 6 TD's and 500+ yards and we're enamored with his backup. That's some crazy **** right there.
Should be a Lanning situation, except in less obvious spots. Not necessarily on 3rd or 4th and short, but more redzone and beginning of the drive situations. Anything to keep the defense on its heels.

It's pretty chicken **** to not play him, just because you're worried about a Purdy injury. In order to be in real deep **** Purdy and Real would have to be injured.

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
With Easton Dean apparently moving to tight end, that leaves us with 3 QBs on the team. No one really knows how good John Kolar is except that he was not good enough to beat out some very talented QBs at OSU. I think Re-Al has to stay at backup QB for at least this season. LikeCampbell says he is one play away from being our starting QB. Maybe next year if Bowman and Dekkers are as good as advertised then they can think about having him change positions - if he wants to.

Not that I wish anything bad t happen to Purdy, but I kind of hope that he gets to show his talents either here or elsewhere. He was a top 30 QB his junior year in HS and keeps getting beat out by other supremely talented players on his team.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
You cannot get Mitchell hurt. If you get him hurt then you have to neuter your offensive plan with Purdy to keep him extra safe.
It's even worse to not play Real, just because you're worried if he gets hurt, then you have to be conservative with Purdy. You play them both the most as possible to help you win.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I don't think we've gone an entire season with the same QB since Arnaud. Re-Al's greatest value to us is a healthy and prepared backup QB. A gadget play here and there is fine, but the reality is he is backing up one of the best, most efficient QBs in all of the NCAA. There should be no set of circumstances that Brock is taken off the field in favor of Re-Al.

• Winner
Reactions: Naddafinga

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Bench Purdy to play Re-Al. Purdy has a RS to transfer with. Then Purdy can transfer. Re-Al had his first real game experience last week against a Sun Belt Conference team in mop up duty. Let’s keep it in perspective.

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
Should be a Lanning situation, except in less obvious spots. Not necessarily on 3rd or 4th and short, but more redzone and beginning of the drive situations. Anything to keep the defense on its heels.

It's pretty chicken **** to not play him, just because you're worried about a Purdy injury. In order to be in real deep **** Purdy and Real would have to be injured.
I guess Saban is a chicken**** then for not getting Hurts on the field in some way, shape, or form? Should have moved him to WR?
It's the same situation, just less recruiting stars.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I guess Saban is a chicken**** then for not getting Hurts on the field in some way, shape, or form? Should have moved him to WR?
It's the same situation, just less recruiting stars.
Alabama is Alabama. They have other 5 star recruits at WR and RB, and all over the field. Alabama, playing their game, with the best man at QB, can beat anyone in the country. I'm not certain Iowa St, playing their game, with the best possible man at QB, can beat everyone in the Big 12.

However, if you occasionally play unorthodox, with your best athletes possible, then you have a chance to even the playing field, like against Oklahoma two years ago.

Having said all this, I would be fine with not even using him in these situations, until the Oklahoma or Texas game. But I do think its a loss to not use him at all, just because you're worried about injury.

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy