How did the reserve linemen do on Saturday?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Hard to follow specific linemen on the replays, at least it is for me. Obviously there was not a huge drop off from the starters, but at some point in time ULM didn't have their hearts in the game anymore.

Asking about offensive and defensive lines. Going to have to replace a lot of guy next year.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
If Nwangu cannot stay healthy, and the evidence is he cant, then I really want one of Hall or Brock to get a crack as the every down guy. You could see on Saturday the physical limitations of Lang and Croney, both fairly pedestrian YPC numbers, and what Hall and Brock brought to the field. I know one needs to RS, but the other can hopefully lock down this job.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
If Nwangu cannot stay healthy, and the evidence is he cant, then I really want one of Hall or Brock to get a crack as the every down guy. You could see on Saturday the physical limitations of Lang and Croney, both fairly pedestrian YPC numbers, and what Hall and Brock brought to the field. I know one needs to RS, but the other can hopefully lock down this job.

I like Hall alot but Jirehl is who I really like. He looks a bit bigger than Hall and showed good skills when he was in.

They will be a lethal 1 -2 punch.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
He had some nice runs with the second unit against a beat down Sun Belt team, but Hall hasn’t been better than Croney or Lang imo.

I can see the hope in a freshman improving faster than others, but his pass blocking may not allow for that and Lang hasn’t had much more game action.

• Agree
Reactions: burn587

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
He had some nice runs with the second unit against a beat down Sun Belt team, but Hall hasn’t been better than Croney or Lang imo.

I can see the hope in a freshman improving faster than others, but his pass blocking may not allow for that and Lang hasn’t had much more game action.
I understand it is the details these two need to get right before they will see the field. Like I said I hope one of them gets it, because even though they are a step slow to the line and they don't read the defense like the upperclassman, they are still producing. Hall is one of the only recent backs I can remember that looks like he has pro measurable out of the box.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I understand it is the details these two need to get right before they will see the field. Like I said I hope one of them gets it, because even though they are a step slow to the line and they don't read the defense like the upperclassman, they are still producing. Hall is one of the only recent backs I can remember that looks like he has pro measurable out of the box.
He looks the part, which makes one hope a rapid improvement is possible.

Imo they’d overlook the pass blocking if Hall had otherwise been playing a lot better than the rest. They’re all bruising the backs of the OL and hesitating way too much. Brock is the only one that hasn’t, but he’s only played in a very favorable position.

Agree, they’re producing. Exciting to think there is even more production there if it’s just an experience problem.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
The whole second unit looked good. But at that point they were playing against sunbelt 2nd teamers so nothing to get too excited about from them or the RBs at that time.

On a separate note kene hall and brock look dramatically better than corner and Lang by a long shot. Croney cannot make anyone miss and has missed some giant cut back lanes. Same with Lang. Both of them have seemed so set on running the play to the exact spot they are leaving major yards out there. Kene healthy looks really good but we only get that for 3-4 plays a game it seems

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Kene's speed is immediately noticeable and I think he is running much more like how he returns kicks. He is much more decisive. I hope he can get healthy because he is very explosive in our offense. I really liked Jirehl's play on Saturday. He was really quick to the hole and he seemed to have a really good feel for finding the hole. He played like a guy with a lot to prove. His vision reminded me a little of DM.

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
Kene runs like a faster Mike Warren but also goes down very easy just like Mike did. Love the kid. He hits the hole quickly and when the OL makes space he can can fly. The past two years a running back like that had no chance with our OL. Kene looks great. That’s a credit to the improvement to our OL in my opinion.

Reactions: Aclone

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011

On the season Lang is at 4.4 yards per carry and Hall is at 4.8 not much of a difference.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I'm interested to see how the second group of linemen did also. I hope to watch the game back and focus on the group.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I can't tell you who it should be, or who is better. I think Kene, Lang, and Croney all have strengths and weaknesses for sure.

But I do think ANYONE would be better if they could get 15-20 carries and get some feel and momentum, instead of single digit carries. CMC is giving them all a chance, but it's inhibiting the ability of any of them to really get into the flow of the game.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
I can't tell you who it should be, or who is better. I think Kene, Lang, and Croney all have strengths and weaknesses for sure.

But I do think ANYONE would be better if they could get 15-20 carries and get some feel and momentum, instead of single digit carries. CMC is giving them all a chance, but it's inhibiting the ability of any of them to really get into the flow of the game.

I think so far it should be Kene but he cant stay healthy. We were sure spoiled with DM and his vision the last few years.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman