Iowa State and Iowa issue joint statement on marching bands

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Like I've said before.... there's no way this turns out well for Barta... and probably Harreld too.

I can't see any scenario where this works out for Barta at all. Such a tool.

If by this you mean Barta is going to be publicly humiliated, that's already happened. I mean, I doubt he feels any shame for himself, but even Iowa-friendly media and fans have turned on him for how he's handled this.

But if you mean he's going to suffer some meaningful consequence as a result of this, such as a punishment or firing, I'd be stunned if that happened. There's no way anyone in Iowa City gives ISU that kind of satisfaction.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
And that language used sounds like what all 18-22 year olds use these days.

That line really stood out to me. No kids talk like that, especially when around other kids their age.

You listen here, kind sir, I implore you to not lie thy hands upon me! Results of such a travesty will surely end in fisticuffs!

KneeGusto

May 13, 2006
S̶q̶u̶a̶w̶ Ioway Creek
I'm old. In 1982 I was in the ISUCF'V'MB and we went to Kinnick. We were lucky to come home with a full set of teeth. Directors complained about the uniform dry cleaning bill from all the hot dogs thrown at us and grass stains from being knocked down by iowa fans.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

That line really stood out to me. No kids talk like that, especially when around other kids their age.

“I think you mistook my beer for yours, my good sir. Now if you’ll be kind enough step outside this fine establishment, we can settle this with a game of Trivial Pursuit, we wouldn’t want this to end in fisticuffs.”

~ that dude in a bar fight.

• Agree
Reactions: Cat Stevens

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
"A fan shoved me out of his way as we were marching in formation back to the buses. He decided to cut through the band and shoved me out of his way. I yelled, 'Do not put your hands on me, sir' and he yelled back, "**** you."

This is the **** Iowa fans are up in arms about.

So, a drunk pushed his way through the band? Really? Compared to some of the horror stories of how ISU band members have been treated in Iowa City for the past 30 years this seems pretty tame. I know it seem very personal to the person involved, but hardly worthy of the idiotic response from Barta.

I and hopefully most ISU fans would not condone this action. Same goes for most Iowa fans. As usual it is just a few asshats that cause all the problems.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I'll actually disagree with this.

The best place for their band to be is separated from the crowd and having them go down to the field does that. Pretty sure that's been standard procedure.

But they could also take the asphalt path around the perimeter of the field to the NW corner instead of just going straight across the field itself. And that's probably the point that was trying to be made (if we are to believe that someone from ISU told them to "get off the field").

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone and kingcy

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
But they could also take the asphalt path around the perimeter of the field to the NW corner instead of just going straight across the field itself. And that's probably the point that was trying to be made (if we are to believe that someone from ISU told them to "get off the field").

But there's no reason for that.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
With no fans in the stadium, and the grounds crew trying to work on the playing surface, the best route for 250-300 people wanting to leave is the hard surface around the outside.

Other than the fact that its pretty routine in the past for the bands to go on the field after the game.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.

Neckbeards talk like that regardless of age. Same dudes who hit on girls by calling them "m'lady" and throw a fit about chicks not wanting a "nice guy" like them when they get turned down time and time again.

• Funny
Reactions: Gunnerclone

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I must be living in bizarro world. We are simultaneously getting trashed as a fan base by the U of Iowa Satterfields and the Rapelor Bears.

I never thought it would be possible to top the "thug transfer" comments from the fans of Anthony Hubbard's team, yet here we are.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Back to the broken ribs...when was this reported? Unless they were rushed to Mary Greeley, they would have likely don’t an x-ray back in Iowa City, likely on Sunday, and at the earliest in the ER late Saturday night when they got back.
Getting warmer. Is it possible injuries occurred on the bus ride home? Even say as a result of behavior and consumption that would be out of line with university standards? Thus explaining why no police report was filed? Nobody was hurt until the alcohol infused bus ride home?

• Optimistic
Reactions: FatNTired

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
"A fan shoved me out of his way as we were marching in formation back to the buses. He decided to cut through the band and shoved me out of his way. I yelled, 'Do not put your hands on me, sir' and he yelled back, "**** you."

This is the **** Iowa fans are up in arms about.

I don't think I've been to a crowded sporting event where I haven't been knocked into by a fan regardless of their tean.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Getting warmer. Is it possible injuries occurred on the bus ride home? Even say as a result of behavior and consumption that would be out of line with university standards? Thus explaining why no police report was filed? Nobody was hurt until the alcohol infused bus ride home?

Either way if a person breaks their ribs...they're going to know it I'd think and it would get pretty quick medical attention.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

Is this for real?

You’re saying they went through all this to avoid getting in trouble for drinking on bus?

Wow if that’s true that’s really bad. Wonder if QC can respond to let us know about the accuracy of the theory

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Either way if a person breaks their ribs...they're going to know it I'd think and it would get pretty quick medical attention.
Nah. They don’t kill unless you get a pnemo from it. Hurt like hell but not more.