Friday OT #2 - A Real Slap In the Face

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I never watch CBS, and almost never watch live TV - so this week when I was on a work trip and flipping through the channels at my hotel that didn't have a guide on the TV, I was legitimately shocked when a new episode of "Big Brother" came up. I honestly didn't know that show was still going. Not that I have any vitriol against it or anything, I just legitimately wasn't aware it was still a thing.

Is there anything like that where you had no idea it was still a thing? Like, "Oh, they still make Corn Pops?! I'll be damned!" types of moments.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Just saw a promo for MTV's Real World/Road Rules Challenge...I thought those stopped like 15 years ago.

• Winner
Reactions: Angie

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Today driving through south Denver I was absolutely floored to see a Godfathers Pizza. I thought they only sold that in gas stations and a handful of locations in Nebraska and Iowa. I grew up on that pizza in Ames and miss it dearly. As soon as my 1 month paleo diet is up I’m getting some godfathers.

Reactions: MeanDean

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Saw a Fruit Loops commercial today. I think I knew they were still a thing, but didn't realize there were still commercials.

Had to look it up...Grey's Anatomy is still on?

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Merge/

Actually, I watched a baseball game yesterday...and this dude named Craig Kimbrel pitched twice and gave up two homeruns to effectively ended not only his own career, but about a dozen others....I was like: "are the Cubs still a thing?"

Much like your Big Brother experience...I keep seeing these "Bluff City Law" commercials with Jimmy Smit and his fake hair trying to re-tread some lame 1990's social justice law firm show. I was like: Are these lying shows about phony crusading lawyers still a thing?!?!? Then I remember recently seeing soul-searching 20-somethings getting verklempt when they hear Kansas "dust in the wind" because it is the first time they ever hear it.....so I guess everything can be new to someone sometime.
Peace.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
My wife loves Grey's Anatomy. I can't stand the show and usually find my way to the man cave when it is on. There was an episode years ago where Grey did not have a pulse for like 2 hours and they somehow revived her. The whole episode I pissed off my wife because I was making sarcastic comments like "you know she is not going to die because what are they going to call this show if she does?" and "this is the moment you know this show sucks because there is no way in hell anyone would come back to life after not having a pulse for 2 hours let alone be able to be a fully functional doctor after that."

Reactions: Angie

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Not recent, but a few years ago I saw some Sixlets in a store and thought, "Wait a minute, I swore they stopped making these."

I bought them and after eating a few, all I could think was, "What the hell did they do to the Sixlets? These taste like crap."

I learned that, while they still exist, they are not produced by the same company that they used to be. Their coating almost has a fruity flavor instead of the malted flavor I remember.

RIP childhood.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
My wife loves Grey's Anatomy. I can't stand the show and usually find my way to the man cave when it is on. There was an episode years ago where Grey did not have a pulse for like 2 hours and they somehow revived her. The whole episode I pissed off my wife because I was making sarcastic comments like "you know she is not going to die because what are they going to call this show if she does?" and "this is the moment you know this show sucks because there is no way in hell anyone would come back to life after not having a pulse for 2 hours let alone be able to be a fully functional doctor after that."

This would be me! We just switched off of cable to Sling and my wife was trying to DVR all her shows and I walked into her trying to find Grey's, and I'm like WTF this is still on? Then she weeped when she found out Sling doesn't carry network TV, so I showed her how to use the OTA to watch it live, or if she wants me to torrent it, I'll teach her how as I'm not going to.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Today driving through south Denver I was absolutely floored to see a Godfathers Pizza. I thought they only sold that in gas stations and a handful of locations in Nebraska and Iowa. I grew up on that pizza in Ames and miss it dearly. As soon as my 1 month paleo diet is up I’m getting some godfathers.

There are still two sit down Godfather's in the Twin Cities. Buffet and everything every day. I go quite often.