Attendance today was subpar

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Lol it was 57,400+ paid, with actual in the seats over 54k. Shut up.

Didn't they announce around 36K over the PA at the game? No way it was any where near 54K. I agree members of the fanbase constantly pat themselves on the back but don't show. The weather forecast was never very bad. It was suppose to be misty and it was. Didn't even need a poncho to not get wet as things dried nearly as fast as it was falling all day.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Didn't they announce around 36K over the PA at the game? No way it was any where near 54K. I agree members of the fanbase constantly pat themselves on the back but don't show. The weather forecast was never very bad. It was suppose to be misty and it was. Didn't even need a poncho to not get wet as things dried nearly as fast as it was falling all day.
Since we sold like 10,000 more season tickets and the announce tickets sold I’m going with no.

Reactions: CyDude16

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

Yesterday? There were not 25,500 empty seats. It’s like people don’t get how many seats are in sections. There were easily over 50k in the actual seats. 52-53 seem about right moreso than 54.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Paid Attendance was 57,442. That is what counts.

We are averaging over 60,000 paid attendance.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
As a student (who was there), most students didn't want a rehash of last week's delays. Personally, I think that's weak sauce. Students have unique challenges though. Grass lots were closed, and if you take cover from the elements during a lightning delay, you forfeit your first-come-first-serve spot in the student section.

If the weather forecast all week hadn't been predicting all-day thunderstorms just like last week, I think the stadium would have been full, students and otherwise. If it hadn't been Iowa last week, I think many more folks wouldn't have stuck out the elements.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
2001 to 2019 is not the low years of Iowa State Football. Try the 80's and 90's then come talk to us. Student attendance was poor, regular attendance was fine.
I went to games in the 90s too. Probably went to games in the 80s but don't remember for sure. Just didn't have season tickets. I attended games during the winless season with my parents. Good enough for you yah old fart?;)

• Winner
Reactions: MrPeske

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I just noticed after the team came out of the tunnel, some players were looking up into the stands and from what I saw I would say they acted disappointed. Can't blame them after the first two games.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I was watching the players come out too. They were definitely looking around disappointed in the crowd. It was also so quiet in there, I could hear Brock Purdy and Re-al Mitchell talking to Campbell about transferring because of it. Campbell told them he can’t blame them and they can follow him to his next gig because he’s leaving because of it too.

Thanks, students.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
As great as our fan base has been, we still are having trouble entirely buying in to the fact that we have a really good team, and program. We all have been around long enough to see us blow it, and that feeling of "that is why we are Iowa State" to take hold. I know that is how I felt after the Iowa game, we dominated in the stats, they had no big plays, we just pissed down our leg and lost the game.

We are on the right track, but until we go out and dominate more games like we did yesterday, that feeling will be in the back out minds, and people will make excuses not to attend the games, even after they have paid for tickets.

Keeping prices low for new fans is the key, and Pollard has done a great job of that, allowing the fan base to continue to grow. But we can learn from the team to our East, and not take the fans we have for granted, and continue to improve the product on the field as well as in and outside the stadium.
Go Cyclones

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018
Urbandale
I just watched the replay on tv and surprised that it did look not as full as it did from where we sit. Especially in 2nd half when game was in hand and raining a bit more than just drizzle earlier. We stayed until the end as always and can't understand people leaving because "we got it won"...how many times do you get to see an offensive output like that!?!?
The South endzone looked really empty whenever the camera shot that angle. I'm guessing those people were there, just up in the Sukup sipping a cocktail and looking out the window?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I'm not going to read 100+ posts about this so sorry if this is duplicative, but to offer one example of why attendance falls off...my extended family buys ~14 season tickets in total, about half of which are Jr. Cyclone Club passes. Nobody misses the first game of the year because it's Labor Day weekend. Usually people don't miss Iowa. But any time after the first couple of weeks of the season it's a crapshoot because of kids' activities, people living too far away to make every game, game times that aren't known until 12 (sometimes 6) days prior, and so on.

Then you throw in a pretty exhausting day last Saturday, and 11am kickoff with a bad weather forecast, parking lots closed...given all that I thought yesterday's crowd was okay. Definitely better than I expected based on how many tickets and parking passes I saw for sale.

This. After last weeks marathon, no one was excited about another rain game. It was just tough to get motivated to go. Then you throw in no grass lots and I can see why people stayed home.

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
The sections were the opposing team’s band and fans sit were empty at the start of the game. ISU students are smart, they moved comfortably into those sections instead of sitting in the upper deck student section. We did the same thing only because we arrived a bit later than usual, we like watching the cyclone alert and did not have time to walk over to where our mobile pass tickets where.

Students then used this thing called a text message to tell their friends were they are at. We got to see this in action as the groups around us kept getting bigger. I tried it too, it actually worked as my friend came and joined us. Couldn’t get my internet to work welll, it actually seemed worse than the Iowa game as I could not download the radar and I was able to last week so the tiny crowd sucked up a lot of bandwidth and kept the bathroom and food lines longer than I would have liked.

For reference think about The sections that UNI and TOE have their band sit in. I’m guessing about 300 seats. When those seats are empty it’s a big blank spot. About 20 or 30 of those blank sections around the stadium, would still put us at 54k. Plus a lot of people watched and moved into the more protected seats/areas so it often looks worse than it is.

INTENSE_CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2018
Whar the fans and the students today? Are ISU fans afraid of a little mist? The attendance was beyond disappointing today!

I was there and did my part and lost my voice in the process. Weather was perfect.

INTENSE_CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2018
The attendance sucked today. Just got to own it. We're literally a fair weather fanbase. Attendance is great in September and October when its dry and sunshine. Always drops off in November and rainy days. It is what it is.

ESPN game tracker showed attendance at 57,442.