Iowa State and Iowa issue joint statement on marching bands

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
So much exaggeration and victimizing by the Iowa Marching Band. I have no doubt there were some unruly fan interaction, would not surprise me. But to the extent of some of these accusations given the circumstances, are downright laughable.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
So this band issue is now showing on the crawl of the Cows vs Cowboys game on ABC

I hope we can get to the bottom of this. If ISU fans were that abusive and no one stepped up to stop it in the crowd then we have a true issue.

I can't imagine kids could be abused that badly and no one would step up.

I hear the ones that have been released from the hospital will still need periodic psychiatric care. :rolleyes:

#PTSD

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
I still think the fact that they were talking **** to our fans on the way back to their bus can’t be overlooked. They were talking **** and now they are worried about verbal abuse? Don’t be ********, and people would treat you better.

• Agree
Reactions: STLISU

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I can’t imagine they could be that abused in the presence of law enforcement without the LE noticing it or the people being abused immediately reporting it to them.

Totally agree. Law enforcement didn't see anything. Nothing was reported in real time. If you were being so violently assaulted wouldn't you ask a cop for some support? Wouldn't other people in the band start throwing hands? Other fans in the area didn't step up?

Don't have all of the facts yet, but this really doesn't smell right.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
So much exaggeration and victimizing by the Iowa Marching Band. I have no doubt there were some unruly fan interaction, would not surprise me. But to the extent of some of these accusations given the circumstances, are downright laughable.

Apparently somebody is claiming to have gotten broken ribs out of the deal. I'm not sure how you exaggerate that.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Totally agree. Law enforcement didn't see anything. Nothing was reported in real time. If you were being so violently assaulted wouldn't you ask a cop for some support? Wouldn't other people in the band start throwing hands? Other fans in the area didn't step up?

Plus between the locker room theft and the murder of Pemsl, Iowa has cried wolf a few times recently.

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL

I agree. I was near there when they left and the fans I was around said nothing. We were all still in too much shock from the F up to end the game.

I think it’s likely a fabrication and wouldn’t be shocked if the Iowa AD was behind it. The timing of the release was too coincidental too.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

No I would wait 5 days and then make a Facebook post throwing my AD under the bus. Sounds like the band gets treated like **** by the AD and are using this to get back at them.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Apparently somebody is claiming to have gotten broken ribs out of the deal. I'm not sure how you exaggerate that.

And there has been nothing substantiated that that came from unruly fan encounter.

Something to that level of seriousness would have most definitely been reported to the band director, police, etc at the time of that incident.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Acylum

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

The other story going around is that the broken ribs occurred because the person fell on their own drums.

It could be that someone got shoved either on purpose or by accident as can happen when a large number of people are exiting an area and they broke ribs but it wasn’t a full on beat down which is what the band is claiming.

Or it could be that none of it happened.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Sounds like with ESPN Yahoo and now GMA and whoever else running with this either Pollard or Wintersteen need to get back out in front of it .
No real facts presented yet .

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
So this band issue is now showing on the crawl of the Cows vs Cowboys game on ABC

I hope we can get to the bottom of this. If ISU fans were that abusive and no one stepped up to stop it in the crowd then we have a true issue.

I can't imagine kids could be abused that badly and no one would step up.

I've been verbally abused and assaulted by Iowa fans in Ames, I'm sure most of us have.

This is only national news (real or not) because Barta is a whiny little bit+ch as he showed lying about the locker room theft and never apologizing for spreading those lies to other big 12 schools.

• Agree
Reactions: burn587

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Sounds like with ESPN Yahoo and now GMA and whoever else running with this either Pollard or Wintersteen need to get back out in front of it .
No real facts presented yet .

About all they can say is that we've offered to help sort this issue out but have been presented no information on which to act. With 4 cops with the band I just don't see how anything much more than verbally harassing them could have happened. I hope we get this put to rest soon.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The other story going around is that the broken ribs occurred because the person fell on their own drums.

It could be that someone got shoved either on purpose or by accident as can happen when a large number of people are exiting an area and they broke ribs but it wasn’t a full on beat down which is what the band is claiming.

Or it could be that none of it happened.

With Barta's historical track record they were most likely assaulted by u of Iowa students.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
About all they can say is that we've offered to help sort this issue out but have been presented no information on which to act. With 4 cops with the band I just don't see how anything much more than verbally harassing them could have happened. I hope we get this put to rest soon.
Agree but I think it needs to be repeated if that is still the case, only one side being reported right now

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Once barta reopened, I have a feeling there are a couple interns scouring social media and watching endless hours of video monitors tape.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron