MLB: ***Official 2019 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
The guy who put that corps in place? No I'm going to stick with the guy who mismanaged them for years.

LOL ok then. I might blame the guy who signed Heyward, and Darvish and Chatwood and Morrow and Brach and Kimbrel and Descalso. Traded Jimenez for Quintana. Refused to deal Almora and Schwarber when they were valuable pieces. Turned Mike Montgomery into Tony Kemp but you do you.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
LOL ok then. I might blame the guy who signed Heyward, and Darvish and Chatwood and Morrow and Brach and Kimbrel and Descalso. Traded Jimenez for Quintana. Refused to deal Almora and Schwarber when they were valuable pieces. Turned Mike Montgomery into Tony Kemp but you do you.

Okay you're right I'm wrong.

Will that suffice to keep you from drudging up old Cubs posts and shouting me down in next year's thread?

• Dislike
Reactions: FinalFourCy

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Okay you're right I'm wrong.

Will that suffice to keep you from drudging up old Cubs posts and shouting me down in next year's thread?

I mean the this is the greatest five year run in modern Cubs history. The next guy is going to be replacing a guy who averaged nearly 95 wins a year, made the playoffs four consecutive years, ended a 108 year drought with one of the youngest teams ever to make the playoffs. Who had a top ten bullpen every year except for this one despite never having a bullpen loaded with big time relievers. Who somehow put together the second best bullpen in baseball last year led by Jesse Chavez and with no closer. Theo effectively neutered Joe’s managing style before this year began, requiring him to send lineups out four days ahead of time, trying to mold him into a guy who just runs out lineups the front office gives him. It’s obvious there’s a disconnect between the front office and Joe and it’s time for a new voice, but to me a lot of that is just Theo trying to protect his guys. I don’t think you’re going to find a better manager and I don’t think a new manager will fix the flaws on this team.

• Informative
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
Season and madden are finally done. Thank god isu is releveant otherwise id have nothing going for me.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think it says a lot Maddon is wanting to go to a bullpen arm who has 3 appearances in his MLB career this late in the season over Q.

Perhaps crazy, but I could see the FO thinking they could find more value for $10.5 million and letting Q go this offseason

Look what they paid Chatwood and Hamels and tell me that you think you could find a better back end of the rotation pitcher for around 10 mil. Starting pitching even for back of the rotation guys are getting stupid money lately

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Look what they paid Chatwood and Hamels and tell me that you think you could find a better back end of the rotation pitcher for around 10 mil. Starting pitching even for back of the rotation guys are getting stupid money lately

I mean, Hamels was an option for $20 million and I think it was probably the smart idea at the time to take it. Agree on Chatwood, though

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

Which is why you need to develop pitching internally and not have to rely on trades and free agency for all your starting pitching. That has been the front offices biggest failure

• Winner
Reactions: NoCreativity

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Which is why you need to develop pitching internally and not have to rely on trades and free agency for all your starting pitching. That has been the front offices biggest failure

I haven’t done the research, and I’m not trying to stir **** - since 2013 (KB) who have we wasted a first pick on knowing there is a successful pitcher that was drafted after our pick?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
My issue with Theo is more the failure of trades and FAs

As for the whole issue with not developing pitching (which I agree with BUT he’s also on record being bats first)

For reference, he’s gone first round picks with

2012: Albert Almora (1st round pick, 9th pick overall)
2013: Kris Bryant
2014: Kyle Schwarber (led team in 2018 in HRs)
2015: Ian Happ (overall successful season with the big club once joining them in 2019)
2016: No first round pick (I’m assuming because of Heyward?)
2017: Brendon Little (has been bad)
2018: Nico Hoerner

If his belief is draft the best available bat and acquire pitching, he’s doing a pretty good job IF you agree with his belief.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
If we flip our record of games decided by 1 run we are in first place in our division. Lets not act like this team is full of cancer

Yes, true. But we can’t ignore WHY the one run record is what it is. Talent is there, culture/toughness is not. I really want to see David Ross (or someone like him) at the helm.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
In 2016 the Cubs were nearly a 100 win true talent team, they had the highest ZIPS projection of any team in the MLB going into that year. This year the same system had them going 87-75 which is right about where they will end up. Not close to teams like the Astros or Yankees or Dodgers. The talent on this team is just not what a lot of fans think. The real problem is this was the year Theo had talked about this group peaking, now comes the downturn. This team needs more than just a new manager to make up the gap with the elite teams in the league.

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Yes, true. But we can’t ignore WHY the one run record is what it is. Talent is there, culture/toughness is not. I really want to see David Ross (or someone like him) at the helm.

The Padres have a better record in one run games than the Yankees. The 2016 Cubs had a losing record in one run games. One run games are a matter of luck not skill.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
The Padres have a better record in one run games than the Yankees. The 2016 Cubs had a losing record in one run games. One run games are a matter of luck not skill.

Luck, huh? Well, I can't deny that's a part of it, but in no way will I chalk up our one run game struggles to bad luck. There's WAY more to it.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Sell me on Ross. I'm not opposed, and I am convinced a change is needed. That said, I'm not yet convinced Ross wouldn't be a gimmick hire.

I love the guy, and catchers often make great managers. But he has zero experience, and I'm not sure what I think about a former teammate returning so quickly to manage. Also, some in this thread are calling for more toughness, which I also agree is lacking. But I'm not sure I ever equated Ross with toughness.

I think I would be intrigued and excited by change no matter who replaces Joe. But I would be anxious and definitely in wait-and-see mode with Rossy.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Luck, huh? Well, I can't deny that's a part of it, but in no way will I chalk up our one run game struggles to bad luck. There's WAY more to it.

In 2017 the 78 win Seattle Mariners had the best record in one run games, 26-15. The 2018 Dodgers and Astros who won a combined 195 games, were .500 in one run games. If winning one run games was a skill you would seem some correlation from year to year with the same teams being good at it, that doesn’t exist.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Sell me on Ross. I'm not opposed, and I am convinced a change is needed. That said, I'm not yet convinced Ross wouldn't be a gimmick hire.

I love the guy, and catchers often make great managers. But he has zero experience, and I'm not sure what I think about a former teammate returning so quickly to manage. Also, some in this thread are calling for more toughness, which I also agree is lacking. But I'm not sure I ever equated Ross with toughness.

I think I would be intrigued and excited by change no matter who replaces Joe. But I would be anxious and definitely in wait-and-see mode with Rossy.

He’ll run out whatever lineup the front office wants him too. Whoever they hire next will be a guy like that, if it’s not Ross I would guess it’s Mark Loretta.

• Dislike
Reactions: psychlone99

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse

Agree 100%

I like Ross in that I think he will immediately improve our core while, with the FO flexibility we have, not be afraid to tell Theo where he thinks our money should be spent since they have a healthy relationship according to his book, Teammate.

I also trust Ross to be better in bullpen management, though I think a monkey could do better than Joe.

Getting guys to play baseball with seriousness from May - September will be the biggest question mark for Ross.