NBA: Cyclones' off-season: contracts, draft, summer league

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I listened to him coach the kids on his court during a scrimmage and he was great. He would even do his straight arm flex for kids that finished strong at the rim and they had a blast. Monte spent most of his free time talking to as many kids and parents as he could.

I'd really love to hear about Cam signing in the G league and Wiggy either in the G league or overseas. It's getting late for Euro contracts; does anyone know when G league teams typically fill out their rosters?

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Yikes - I like Monte on the Nuggets (PLUS, I bought a shirt, so ...) but this article talks about the possiblity of Monte being thrown into a trade to the Wizards for Bradley Beal. Let's hope that this is all just conjecture during no-news time for the NBA:

https://www.hiptoro.com/p/nba-trade...e-chris-paul-bradley-beal-and-andre-iguodala/
Looking at the articles, I'd suspect this to be conjecture. Malone LOVES Monté Morris & I can't seeing him wanting to part with ManMan. While not the top point guard in the league - in only his FIRST FULL season, he absolutely showed that he was a top tier PG! Bradley Beal is a very good player, and the Nuggets might very well be interested. However, I'm not sure Malone would trade ManMan away. Just my two cents.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
This seems to back up what I'd read elsewhere - Deonte Burton's contract is guaranteed for the season. He'll have to show some consistency this year with OKC to assure that he has a future with the club. They're in a rebuild, which means that there is opportunity, but there is no shortage of fringe NBA players looking for a shot.

So is Niang the only one left? I've had trouble finding his guarantee date. I thought I saw an "in-season" date for him at one time.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
NBA.com posted a ¨My Path¨video on Deonte Burton in August. Those of use who followed his career no some of this info - writing poetry, the loss of his mother, the transfer to ISU, S. Korea etc. - but it's a very intimate discussion with DB30. He's always had a sweetness about him from what I could perceive.

Not a bad 5-minute watch. https://www.nba.com/thunder/video/deonte-burton-my-path

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
It turns that scoring vs. NBA players is tougher than TCU. Melvin Ejim started, played 23 minutes and went 1-5 from the field (a 3pt-er). He grabbed 5 rebounds (had 10 in Canada's last game).

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
It turns that scoring vs. NBA players is tougher than TCU. Melvin Ejim started, played 23 minutes and went 1-5 from the field (a 3pt-er). He grabbed 5 rebounds (had 10 in Canada's last game).
iirc, Ejim has always been a role player on that Canada team. Never the guy looked to for scoring, but will do the dirty work and get boards when need be.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Monte took time off from training or whatever stud NBA guards do on Saturdays to check out the ISU FB opener in Denver:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Monte has a bit of recent pub from Fan Sided's Hoopshabit.com (great name; I definitely have a hoops habit). Part of this is to fill the NBA void of news at this time of year (we have a bit of that with the FB bye week so I thought I'd post this in case anyone cares about BB in the off-season). First, they studied Monte's "net" rating -- how the team fared per hundred possessions, with him on the court. Not surprisingly, he was 6th on the team (I was surprised that Paul Millsaps was #1 and not Jokic). This is the blurb (#5 was Jamal Murray at 4.8), with a very questionable use of the word "affront" - they may have more of a hoops habit than a proof-reading habit:

6. Monte Morris: 4.3 Net Rating
Monte Morris makes smart choices, knocks down shots, plays savvy defense, and rarely commits turnovers. At sixth-best overall, his net rating is about where you’d expect it to be after last season’s surprisingly effective campaign.

Offensively, he runs smooth pick-and-rolls, scoring or diming teammates with proficiency. Defensively, he’s decent, especially considering he was practically a rookie last year.

He could be starting if not for Murray affront him, but it’s nice to know Denver has one of the league’s better backups at the point.

Link to the article: https://hoopshabit.com/2019/09/01/denver-nuggets-ranking-player-effectiveness-by-net-rating/

The other mention for Big Game was on the same site, as one of 3 Nuggets that they see could really break out this year (kind of some facile analysis here but Monte COULD really take a step forward in what is effectively his 2nd NBA season):

2. Monte Morris
Last year, Monte Morris filled in very well as the backup point guard. He took care of the ball, and he shot a consistent clip from the field. Next season, he could make a case for Sixth Man of the Year.

He’s not going lead the team in scoring off the bench because that’s not how his game works. He’s more of a distributor, but he can score when given the opportunity as he improved his career-high to 22 last season.

This year, seeing him eclipse the 25-point mark isn’t impossible. He also could spend more time playing among the starters if the Denver Nuggets decide to go small more frequently to give Millsap more rest.

At 6’3,” if he, Murray and Harris are all on the floor, they would likely outsize most guards with all three of them being at least 6’3″ in height. Backup point guards have become more and more important in today’s NBA and Morris would be no exception to that rule.

Morris could legitimately average a 50/40/90 shooting line next season, and no one would bat an eye because he’s an extremely fundamentally sound basketball player.
Since he came into the league, he makes the right play far more often than he makes the wrong play.

Morris only has this season guaranteed on his contract. He could not only get the following year guaranteed with some strong play, but he could get a nice extension while he was at it.

Link: https://hoopshabit.com/2019/08/30/denver-nuggets-3-candidates-breakout-season-2019-20/3/

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
These are clips from Nader playing in LA in the off-season. In the first one, he blows by James Harden (who never will be confused with Gary "The Glove" Payton on D) for a strong finish:

Last edited:

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I somehow missed this from earlier in the month but with the departures of Crowder and Favors, SB Nation's SLC Dunk fan site argues the case for Georges Niang STARTING at the 4 for the Jazz. It's just this writer's opinion and I don't have any reason to think the Jazz would consider this but it's a good read with some stats, highlights and analysis of our boy, Georges:

https://www.slcdunk.com/the-downbea...g-to-start-at-power-forward-for-the-utah-jazz

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron