Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
@Cyclones_R_GR8 , I can't remember if you're 62 yet or not, but if you are, have you heard of the "America the Beautiful" passes? One time $80 fee gets you lifetime entry into all National parks for free. Many National monuments and even some state parks also give discounts when you show them your pass.
https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm#CP_JUMP_5088578
61, like Boxster said it doesn't cover parking costs like at Mount Rushmore. I do have every intention on buying one once I am eligible.

Reactions: ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
61, like Boxster said it doesn't cover parking costs like at Mount Rushmore. I do have every intention on buying one once I am eligible.
Yeah...national monuments, national seashores, & national memorials (and anything run by individual states) are hit & miss, but like I said, it never hurts to ask

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Sometimes the concessions give a discount; we got one at Gettysburg last month, also got free entry to Assateague Nat'l Seashore. It doesn't work everywhere, but every little bit helps, and it never hurts to ask.

I would love to get to Assateague some day - absolutely LOVED the Misty books growing up. I should get them for baby.

Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I would love to get to Assateague some day - absolutely LOVED the Misty books growing up. I should get them for baby.

I think reading to babies, little kids is so much fun. When they are really little you can read them anything, once they are a little older your kind of stuck with what they want, until they get old enough you can direct them to stories you like. Have fun!

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Finally!!! Someone else who knows the story of Misty of Chincoteague!!! No one else understood why I wanted to go there so much.
We actually went twice. The first time, we spent the whole day there, only saw some of the ponies at a great distance, but really enjoyed wandering the trails and beaches. When we got back to Dover, we thought we had lost Lew's wallet. We looked everywhere, and finally concluded that it must have fallen out at the park. We went down there on the way home to check the visitor's center and the park rangers office. We also retraced our steps...and the ponies were EVERYwhere! Apparently you're not allowed to bother them, so if they just walk into your campsite, you just move back and let them.
70942687_10221657080155603_8719715215056306176_o.jpg

• Friendly
Reactions: cowgirl836

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Finally!!! Someone else who knows the story of Misty of Chincoteague!!! No one else understood why I wanted to go there so much.
We actually went twice. The first time, we spent the whole day there, only saw some of the ponies at a great distance, but really enjoyed wandering the trails and beaches. When we got back to Dover, we thought we had lost Lew's wallet. We looked everywhere, and finally concluded that it must have fallen out at the park. We went down there on the way home to check the visitor's center and the park rangers office. We also retraced our steps...and the ponies were EVERYwhere! Apparently you're not allowed to bother them, so if they just walk into your campsite, you just move back and let them.
70942687_10221657080155603_8719715215056306176_o.jpg

Were those new books when you were little? I seriously read those a hundred times. Then Stormy, The Godolphin Arabian - I loved Marguerite Henry!

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I wasn't sure so I looked it up. Misty was first published in 1947, so 8 years before I was born. I remember reading them in elementary school...read quite a few of her books. King of the Wind, Brighty, Sea Star, and of course Misty. I loved them.

• Friendly
Reactions: cowgirl836

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Don't forget one of the most under visited parks in the NP system, Wind Cave. It is literally right next to Custer SP. Also the mammoth site in Hot Springs is kind of cool.

A hike from Sylvan Lake up to Black Elk (formerly Harney) Peak is fun but make sure you are on top of the weather. It's an only mildly strenuous 7 mile (roundtrip) hike.

On the way out or back take a pit stop in Mitchell and see the corn palace.

There is still plenty I haven't seen in the Black Hills. I would love to see Wind Cave as I love caves. (non political ones that is)

Then you should do Jewel Cave as well. It is just a national monument rather than national park but is great too. It's about 12 miles west of Custer.

I agree with most of this. Wind Cave is cool. The mammoth site is cool. I wouldn't stop at the Corn Palace.

Might as well throw Jewel Cave in there also. They were both neat caves many moons ago.

We just did a trip to through this area a few weeks ago. I agree with @jcyclonee that you can skip the corn palace. Both Wind and Jewel Caves weren't doing normal tours because their elevators were not working. We did the "strenuous" tour at Jewel which consists of ladders and carrying your own oil lamp. It was an experience. Wind Cave didn't have this option so we had to skip it.

Take the Needle Highway to Sylvan Lake. Also, don't miss out on Lead, Deadwood and the Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway!

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Watched "The King's Speech" with the vixen last night - I had not seen it before. A wonderful story, and Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush were both superb in their roles. Firth's simmering anger at not being able to speak correctly came through as genuine. Funniest scene was when King George (Firth) discovers that he can speak quite ably when shouting obscenities, particularly the "F" word in all its forms.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Can’t someone invent a mist and overcast radar? Ugh.

• Funny

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Turn on the game, Clones up 21-0 and kicking off. ULM goes right down and scores. I truly am a curse.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Missed the whole 3rd quarter, Clones score 21. I shouldn't watch the 4th

I slept through most of the 1st quarter. Tuned in just in time for our 1st score. We have scored nine straight times since I tuned in. Almost worth the nasty cold that took me out of commission yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: CloneLawman

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Feed a cold. Maybe a eat TOO much last night.

I slept through most of the 1st quarter. Tuned in just in time for our 1st score. We have scored nine straight times since I tuned in. Almost worth the nasty cold that took me out of commission yesterday.
You too, eh? Stayed home yesterday & today, will stay home tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be mostly over this before we take off for Texas on Monday. I don't want to be around my elderly father if I'm still contagious.

Status
Not open for further replies.