MLB: ***Official 2019 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I was all in on keeping Schwarber based on his hitting numbers

But I reflect on last nights loss, in which, with runners on second and third, he swung at a 3-0 slider on the edge of the zone for strike one. Next pitch, swings at a 3-1 slider not even close to the zone.

Selfish, selfish, selfish

I think we could probably get rid of both Schwarber and Almora and get a pretty decent piece in return. Heyward and Castellanos can be locks in the outfield. Either sign Rendon and move Bryant to left or give Happ a permanent spot in left.

If you have 2 left fielders, you have zero left fielders.

Agree with everything but Happ. Not sold yet that he is an everyday player. May be a poor man's Zobrist right now at best

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Line-up has issues and then when you look at the pitching... :eek:

1. Hamels is old and won't be back
2. Lester is also almost done for if not already there.
3. Darvish has excellent stuff but usually has a bad inning a game and rarely gets past 6 innings. Will also turn 34 next season with a history of arm problems.
4. Hendricks is really good at home (2.04 era) and average at best on the road (4.94 era).
5. Quintana had 1 really good stretch this season and rest of the year was pretty "meh" to bad.

Alzolay is our supposed younger pitcher who might be put in the rotation and he gave up 10 runs in 12 innings pitched this year.

I'm not even going to get into the bullpen issues.

Yeah it’s a bad situation and with no internal help on the near horizon. But hey ask chuckd and he’ll tell you Theo never wanted to develop any pitching at all, it’s all part of the plan.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Get Whit Merrifield. The window is 2 more years so sell the farm and go all in on winning a World Series

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Jason Kimbrell is not an mlb level closer, that’s one thing we all can agree on.

Not sure if you are being snarky....but he WAS (past tense)...but his performance has not been championship level, that is for sure. His contract was championship level...and maybe the REd Sox should being paying that in gratuity, not the residents of Glenview.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Not sure if you are being snarky....but he WAS (past tense)...but his performance has not been championship level, that is for sure. His contract was championship level...and maybe the REd Sox should being paying that in gratuity, not the residents of Glenview.

Craig Kimbrel was, I have no idea who the hell Jason Kimbrell is though

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Yeah it’s a bad situation and with no internal help on the near horizon. But hey ask chuckd and he’ll tell you Theo never wanted to develop any pitching at all, it’s all part of the plan.

Theo has literally been quoted saying his strategy is drafting bats

Theo loves below average utility guys though, that’s why he locked up Bote early and traded for Kemp. Provide below average value at multiple positions? Sign him right up.

Bote asked for an extension and signed one for stupid cheap. The reason the deal was made fun of was because big names (Arenado, Goldschmidt) were signing extensions while we signed Bote. As for Kemp, we traded a backup catcher and ended up getting Lucroy in the deal, who is probably a better catcher than Maldonado, so I’m not too upset we got Kemp

• Agree
Reactions: HoustonClone

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I think it says a lot Maddon is wanting to go to a bullpen arm who has 3 appearances in his MLB career this late in the season over Q.

Perhaps crazy, but I could see the FO thinking they could find more value for $10.5 million and letting Q go this offseason

• Disagree
Reactions: CYdTracked

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Theo has literally been quoted saying his strategy is drafting bats

Bote asked for an extension and signed one for stupid cheap. The reason the deal was made fun of was because big names (Arenado, Goldschmidt) were signing extensions while we signed Bote. As for Kemp, we traded a backup catcher and ended up getting Lucroy in the deal, who is probably a better catcher than Maldonado, so I’m not too upset we got Kemp

If that’s their strategy they should probably stop wasting all these draft picks on pitching. Seems dumb to draft pitchers if you don’t plan on developing them.

Also they basically turned a quality arm in Mike Montgomery into a guy who does nothing well. But he plays multiple spots.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
If that’s their strategy they should probably stop wasting all these draft picks on pitching. Seems dumb to draft pitchers if you don’t plan on developing them.

Also they basically turned a quality arm in Mike Montgomery into a guy who does nothing well. But he plays multiple spots.

Montgomery didn’t want to be here and was even asked to leave Wrigley in the middle of the game because he was being such a whiney ***** this offseason. Our starting catcher was also put in the IL the same day. Lets not act trading Montgomery for Maldonado was a bad deal, it was a great deal for both teams.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Montgomery didn’t want to be here and was even asked to leave Wrigley in the middle of the game because he was being such a whiney ***** this offseason. Our starting catcher was also put in the IL the same day. Lets not act trading Montgomery for Maldonado was a bad deal, it was a great deal for both teams.

Trading Montgomery for Maldonado turned Kemp was absolutely a bad deal.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Trading Montgomery for Maldonado turned Kemp was absolutely a bad deal.

You’re entitled to your own opinion but if a guy doesn’t want to be here, he provides pretty much nothing to your team. Montgomery is more valuable than Kemp. Kemp wants to be here. Kemp somewhat filled a need at the time.

I don’t like a lot of Theos moves but I completely disagree that this was one of his bad ones.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron