Will the Blue Bloods go down?

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Or they will pick the six schools that had actionable evidence in the FBI trials: Arizona, Louisville, LSU, Auburn, NC State and USC.

Edit... Okie State replaces Louisville on my list. And I forgot about Oregon. They also came up in the FBI investigation multiple times.
NC State went first. My guess is Arizona or Okie State is next.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...40/nc-state-hit-d-smith-jr-related-violations
"NC State is one of several schools under NCAA scrutiny as a result of the federal government's investigation of pay-for-play schemes in college basketball. Sources have told ESPN that the NCAA is actively investigating Arizona, Creighton, Kansas, Louisville, LSU and USC."

We'll see what happens, if anything, to Kansas.

Creighton and USC will take the hits.

You know, to set an example of what can happen.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015

I dont see Creighton getting hit. It has proven out that the "bribes" taken by their assistant coach were returned and were in fact a ruse. Dawkins and the Crieghton assistant made up a fake Creighton player and boasted about his NBA potential as they sat with financial backers. Murphy got $6k from Dawkins but gave it back right after the meeting.

Creighton wont get anything but a finger wagging.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
You forget about KBooooo?
No, I just didnt hear anything out of the FBI investigations regarding Kansas that would result in a likely Level 1 NCAA infraction. They are getting looked at for sure but the schools I listed had clear Level 1 violations that were testified to in court.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
No, I just didnt hear anything out of the FBI investigations regarding Kansas that would result in a likely Level 1 NCAA infraction. They are getting looked at for sure but the schools I listed had clear Level 1 violations that were testified to in court.

I agree and you're right. I don't think Adidas would have ponied up for a new - what $190 MM contract, if they thought Level 1 was coming.
Just kinda sickening: All a school has to do is pay with cash, get goons from a shoe company to run money to family, have all conversations in-person (no emails, txt, or voice messages) and the head coach playing Sgt Schultz, "I know nutting" and the school avoids any harsh penalties.
But I'm convinced KU is a bunch of slimy cheaters; also, asst coach Townsend (sp?) needs to be fired for what he said to Adidas.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I agree and you're right. I don't think Adidas would have ponied up for a new - what $190 MM contract, if they thought Level 1 was coming.
Just kinda sickening: All a school has to do is pay with cash, get goons from a shoe company to run money to family, have all conversations in-person (no emails, txt, or voice messages) and the head coach playing Sgt Schultz, "I know nutting" and the school avoids any harsh penalties.
But I'm convinced KU is a bunch of slimy cheaters; also, asst coach Townsend (sp?) needs to be fired for what he said to Adidas.
For the most part, I agree with you. What this last 2 years has shown is just how pervasive the shoe company money is throughout the sport. There are recruits getting bought by shoe companies at a far deeper level than most people were aware of. And honestly, I dont see any NCAA rules changing that. What person is going to turn down a bag full of cash?

• Winner
Reactions: chadly82

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
For the most part, I agree with you. What this last 2 years has shown is just how pervasive the shoe company money is throughout the sport. There are recruits getting bought by shoe companies at a far deeper level than most people were aware of. And honestly, I dont see any NCAA rules changing that. What person is going to turn down a bag full of cash?

The shoe companies and the prominence given to the phony title of " AAU coach". It's a racket and I don't think for a moment that ISU hasn't worked the system, but when Nike only pays us - something like $1.5 MM for exclusivity, we're not exactly high on the priority list for top talent.

We'll have to see what happens with the NBA rules for accepting 18-yo and also whether if players will elect to go outside the US for the first year, before entering NBA draft.
Anyhoo....Bill Self can flat-out coach and, IMO, can hold his own vs K, Izzo and Cal.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
The shoe companies and the prominence given to the phony title of " AAU coach". It's a racket and I don't think for a moment that ISU hasn't worked the system, but when Nike only pays us - something like $1.5 MM for exclusivity, we're not exactly high on the priority list for top talent.

We'll have to see what happens with the NBA rules for accepting 18-yo and also whether if players will elect to go outside the US for the first year, before entering NBA draft.
Anyhoo....Bill Self can flat-out coach and, IMO, can hold his own vs K, Izzo and Cal.
I dont think players going straight to the NBA or overseas will affect it much at all. College is the biggest pre-NBA stage there is and as long as the global basketball shoe market is a multibillion dollar industry (AKA forever) shoe companies will try to buy players and highlight them on their biggest stages.

As for Self, I honestly think he does better with multiyear players than he does with the uber elite OAD players. His system is complicated and his defensive rotations demand a high level of defensive knowledge and experience. I'd be thrilled if he focus more on guys in the 20-100 rankings that would stick around longer.

If the NBA gets rid of the OAD rule and more of the guys that end up in college are multiyear players then I think Kansas will continue to be dominant as long as Self is at KU.

Fishing in the tainted pool of Top 20 recruits is dangerous. A school is much more likely to land a recruit who has broken the rules and that will get the program into trouble. It's inevitable.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015

Iowa State unfortunately might have signed their Nike contract for a bit too long. It is not up for renewal until 2024,meaning that they're not able to capitalize on their football prosperity until then. I fully expect ISU's next contract to bump them up into the Top 25 or so in annual compensation. Both Okie State and West Virginia are now over $4 million per year. I would expect ISU to get to that if they keep their football program running well.

Reactions: Go2Guy

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL

iu