• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I think some people would love to see baseball while others will say "meh."

Baseball as it is done now at successful schools would be fairly difficult for ISU to duplicate.

It is also possible that adding baseball could take some funding away from other sports.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
I think it started as serious when it originally would come up, and then for the long timers it became a joke. Now every time it comes up seriously the thread is quickly hijacked by the jokers. And any time something comes up that's been beaten to death it morphs into a bring back baseball thread.

BTW it's never happening. Title IX. That's not blame, just the state of the world. Discuss.

• Winner
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
The serious people try to explain why. The joking people just say it.

People who want it back are themselves a long running joke.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I went to a baseball game back in the day for Iowa State. There were like 10 people at the game. Guessing the tickets were free for most like they were for me. I have no idea why people would want to bring back a sport nobody cared or went to games. Honestly I left after about 6 innings and said I would never go again. It seems more people want to bring it back then actually went to the games.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
This has been directly debunked by Pollard. It's not Title IX that eliminated the program and that's not what's keeping them from bringing it back.

That said, it would be absolutely absurd to bring it back and people just need to stop with it.

Sorry sarcasm. or just priming the pump, or just fanning the flames, or whatever. But also I know he's said that, but now that it's gone...oh damn I'm not even going to start. I almost took myself down that rabbit hole...Just stop Tec, just stop.

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
This has been directly debunked by Pollard. It's not Title IX that eliminated the program and that's not what's keeping them from bringing it back.

That said, it would be absolutely absurd to bring it back and people just need to stop with it.

So if it wasn’t because of Title IX, what was the reason for the elimination of baseball? $?

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Well, since we are eliminating football, just use those funds to bring back baseball!

Oh, and start an esports team with the left over funds.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net

And if you don't believe Pollard, here are the numbers.

NCAA DIV I AVAILABLE SCHOLARSHIPS BY SPORT

ISU Men's Sports
Basketball: 13
XC: 12.6
FB: 85
Golf: 4.5
T&F: (included in XC)
Wrestling: 9.9
TOTAL: 125.0
Total with Baseball (11.7): 136.7

ISU Women's Sports
Basketball: 15
XC: 18
Golf: 6
Gymnastics: 12
Soccer: 14
Softball: 12
Swim&Dive: 14
Tennis: 8
T&F: (included in XC)
Volleyball: 12
TOTAL: 111.0

When it comes to participation and scholarship dollars, opportunities for men and women need to be "substantially proportionate to their respective rates of enrollment of full-time undergraduate students". There are a couple other ways you can be compliant instead, but this is the way almost all schools demonstrate compliance. http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/inclusion/title-ix-frequently-asked-questions#comply

From https://nces.ed.gov/ipeds/use-the-data, in Fall 2017 (most recent semester available) ISU had 16456 full time undergrad men and 12287 full time undergrad women.

So...

ISU full time undergrad percentage men: 57.3%
ISU current athletic scholarship percentage men: 53.0%
ISU athletic scholarship percentage men if baseball were added: 55.2%

This only measures available scholarships and not actual scholarships used or full participation numbers (including walk-ons) but it should be a close enough proxy for that.

• Informative
Reactions: isufbcurt

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
So if it wasn’t because of Title IX, what was the reason for the elimination of baseball? $?
When baseball and gymnastics were dropped one was because of Title IX and one was money. I don't know if there was ever a technical distinction on which was which.

• Informative
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
In the athletic department publication Taking the Next Big Step that was sent out right after JP took the job, two of the long-term goals were adding baseball and men's tennis. I can no longer find that publication on the interwebz, but ISU had obviously taken several steps as far as facilities and what not are concerned since JP got here.

I think we can all agree that there is no longer a push to bring back baseball, and I don't believe there will be while JP is here unless one of you baseball fans wins Powerball or something...

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
When baseball and gymnastics were dropped one was because of Title IX and one was money. I don't know if there was ever a technical distinction on which was which.

Not sure you can make a distinction between the two (money or title IX). They had to even out the male/female participation due to Title IX. The only reasonable way to do that was to drop men's sports because they didn't have the money to add women's sports.

• Informative
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I went to a baseball game back in the day for Iowa State. There were like 10 people at the game. Guessing the tickets were free for most like they were for me. I have no idea why people would want to bring back a sport nobody cared or went to games. Honestly I left after about 6 innings and said I would never go again. It seems more people want to bring it back then actually went to the games.

Did the same thing. I was out for a walk one day and ended up at Cap Timm field during a game. There were less than 50 people there. Watched for a few innings and moved on.