Assuming Tomorrow’s Game is Cancelled

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
1. And tell me how many delays in the history of Iowa state football. I’ll tell you—-4. 2 last week, 1 last year that ended up cancelled, and I think 1 before the Kansas game started 2 years ago. That’s a bad, bad trend.

I was thinking about this over the weekend. I also imagine things have changes with technology to get the lightening strikes within 8 miles (probably had that in the past, but didn't do anything)

• Agree
Reactions: Yorel Fusspucker

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
All of this is true.

But you can’t be surprised that people are jumpy. I sat through SDSU until they called it after 4 + hours. I sat through 6 + hours on Saturday. The thought of having to do that again is enough to make me sick.

Surprised that people are jumpy over something that absolutely no human being can control?

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I think we need to delay Pollard's new development plans for the area and instead invest in a giant Faraday cage over the stadium. No more lightning concerns.

Reactions: DarkStar

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Surprised that people are jumpy over something that absolutely no human being can control?

People are jumpy about tons of things you can’t control.

I think the people that are bashing those that are worried about it are the people that either don’t go to games or leave at the first rain drop. Kind of like in the Jeff woody podcast where they were complaining about being in the press box during the delays.

I’ll be there until the bitter end on Saturday. But I’m not going to apologize for dreading a repeat when the forecast is MUCH worse than it was last week.

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
1. And tell me how many delays in the history of Iowa state football. I’ll tell you—-4. 2 last week, 1 last year that ended up cancelled, and I think 1 before the Kansas game started 2 years ago. That’s a bad, bad trend.

Dont forget the Tornado game vs Colorado.

isumet

Feb 25, 2019
Ignoring some of the laughably bad takes about lightning tomorrow... here's a little bit of info about why you should not be worried about a cancellation tomorrow.

This is not a trend, this is bad luck over the past couple years. Thunderstorms happen pretty frequently in Iowa. It was only a matter of time before a couple of games experienced thunderstorms. The canceled SDSU game was a combination of a late kickoff and horrendously bad luck with storms (it took a looooonnng time before we even got rain that day).

Right. And we're seeing an increase in thunderstorms in September - which has ramifications for outdoor sporting events.
I'm not quite sure this is true, at least for now. Thunderstorms have and always will be fairly common in the Midwest in September, and I'm not sure if any data source at the moment shows a clear trend. Of course... part of this is due to the increase in technology (see below).

I would also imagine as technology to detect lightning strikes has improved and become more available to institutions, they have more awareness of where and when lightning strikes are occurring.
Years ago teams just kept playing because there was very little technology available to track storms. And detecting lightning strikes is also relatively new.

For everyone's safety, I am happy the technology exists. It's quite rare to be struck by lightning, but if you are.......
These points are both accurate. Back several years ago, ISU meteorology students (I believe typically grad students) were often in the press booth with a limited amount of data options. Since then the NWS has taken over support, though they are not responsible for cancelling/delaying games - that responsibility is still through a combination of a lot of Iowa State/Story county emergency management people.

The real story in the last decade is how much better meteorologists are at detecting lightning. The NWS has access to three or four lightning data networks that have update times of a minute or less, with incredible accuracy. Even the public has a few lightning maps freely available now. The software programs used for data processing have made significant improvements. Heck, even the radars themselves have gone through two significant upgrades in the past 10-15 years - the first gave resolution twice as good as before, the second allows for us to detect hail and other fancy stuff.

While all of this means that you are in fact likely much safer than before, it comes with the expense of potentially more delays. But I think that's a fair tradeoff for everyone.

Now when it comes to tomorrow... can anyone tell me the last time you remember getting thunder for 12 hours straight? I'm not sure if that's ever happened before here... so maybe we're overreacting just a bit? Go to the game, it'll be OK.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron