Tulane / Houston Trick Play

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I'm just hoping we can somehow get out of our series with Tulane so something like this doesn't happen to us. (sarcasm)

• Agree
Reactions: madguy30

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Should it be a problem no because it shouldn’t be a problem to have defenses blow up a kneel down. That said people would be mad if a team tried to blow up a kneel down.

• Creative
Reactions: JRE1975

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Im kind of on the fence a little. I think if they were on the 20 yard line and had 80 yards to go and pulled this. I would destroy them the next time they tried to kneel down. However, they had pretty good field position so I am not sure why they would think a play might be coming. At the same time. If players blow up the offensive line in the future on a kneel down. Down complain.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
The most Dana thing to happen to Dana.

LOVE IT.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
you have to be kidding that anyone is debating if this is ok to do...it's an f'ing football game and it's a play, just like any other. JFC, people are getting soft.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Legit or Busch league?

Legit and a calculated risk. It likely won't work again...ever for this Tulane coaching staff but it got the W. If they feel like they picked the right time to do it (I assume they do) then good for them.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
What a loser's attitude. This is perfectly within the rules of the game and as an added bonus it couldn't happen to a more deserving coach (Dana).

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Tied game, Tulane lines up in victory formation presumably to go to OT. They run a trick play to setup a game winning pass in regulation. Legit or Busch league?

Personally, I'm not a fan. In the victory formation, the defenders are told to ease up and Tulane takes advantage. If the Houston Dline goes and blows up the Oline, everyone would have been up in arms. This can't be OK, right?
How did beer enter the equation? You guys know it’s “bush league”, right?

From when baseball players were playing so low in the minors, the field was “in the bushes”. MLB teams used to have a lot more teams in the minors than they do nowadays.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Dana Holgorsen is the coach's version of Gary Barta. Waiting to see the press release on how Tulane showed "inappropriate behavior" by running the trick play and how defensive players were " physically assaulted" on that play.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I had Houston straight up, so watching them slowly-but-surely waste away a 21 point lead, culminating in this ****-kick was a fine end to my evening.

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
So is everyone also good with Dlines blowing up the Oline on kneel downs? I thought that was always seen as bad sportsmanship.
I completely agree about that play being fair game. But this is a very good point. Not only would it look bad, it might draw an unsportsmanlike like penalty.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The real travesty here is giving up a 50+ yard TD on the next play by 3 defenders in the area all completely whiffing on the WR.

This. The trick play was a big play but they still had to go 50+ with 12 seconds. Thats on your defense

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
It's a play that needs to be discussed for rules clarifications, as teams are beginning to use it with more frequency.

Google "fake kneel football" and you can find a number of these plays occurring recently.

However, lots of time when a team lines up in victory formation, the officials will tell the defense to not rush (obviously for safety and to temper any flare ups). If that is happening before the offense performs the fakeout, then the defense has a legitimate appeal.

Read about the Purdue-Arizona bowl game from a couple of years ago. Arizona defense claims that they were told not to rush by the officials. Purdue runs a fake and gains big yardage to set them up for the game-winning field goal.

For now, the play is legal. But if it continues to be used, I can see a need to clarify its legality. Similar to what happened with the "wrong ball" trick play.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron