Tulane / Houston Trick Play

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Tied game, Tulane lines up in victory formation presumably to go to OT. They run a trick play to setup a game winning pass in regulation. Legit or Busch league?

Personally, I'm not a fan. In the victory formation, the defenders are told to ease up and Tulane takes advantage. If the Houston Dline goes and blows up the Oline, everyone would have been up in arms. This can't be OK, right?

KCClone1

Feb 28, 2010
Urbandale
I didn’t see the play but I’m cool with it. Play to the whistle. What about QBs who fake a spike and go for a TD? Is that Busch league too?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Tied game, Tulane lines up in victory formation presumably to go to OT. They run a trick play to setup a game winning pass in regulation. Legit or Busch league?

Personally, I'm not a fan. In the victory formation, the defenders are told to ease up and Tulane takes advantage. If the Houston Dline goes and blows up the Oline, everyone would have been up in arms. This can't be OK, right?
This can’t be serious?

It was a great call.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

That is beyond legit. That is awesome.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
So is everyone also good with Dlines blowing up the Oline on kneel downs? I thought that was always seen as bad sportsmanship.[/QUOTE
First, they’re completely different situations. Kneeling when ahead is far different than Tulane going for the win in a tie game. What the hell was the Houston defense thinking?

Second, they didn’t really fake kneel. They were in a snap safe formation and caught Houston sleeping.

Yes. It has always seemed okay. Bad sportsmanship are the scuffs that sometimes follow as players vent their frustrations over the loss.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: tolstoy

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
So is everyone also good with Dlines blowing up the Oline on kneel downs? I thought that was always seen as bad sportsmanship.

Even in this situation, the Dline wouldn't be coached to dive in and blow up the Oline. Houston is clearly in prevent with the front 3 controlling their gaps which is the correct call. The right D end just gets sucked in by the fake and the back 8 are caught napping. There's no need ever for the bush league diving at OLine knees or the quarterback you occasionally see.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
It is kind of iffy, the defense has to be a little lax on kneel downs. They are definitely at a disadvantage. I'd feel worse for them if it wasnt Dana and they hadn't given up such a long play on the next play.

Last edited: