Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
You guys may be overthinking this.

Time for some gifs.......

giphy.gif

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Agreed on the water temperature comment.

Disagree heavily on the coffee press comment. Press makes the best coffee, hands down. And cleaning is a royal pain? It's literally dumping out the grounds and rinsing it out.

Get yourself a proper stainless steel insulated press (1.5L) and it will be the best cup you can get, and zero hassle. We also purchased an electric kettle to heat the water and it really streamlined the process!

Also, transfer your grounds into the press inside the sink, so the stray grounds don't make a mess all over the counter.

As for the beans -- I agree with buying whole beans and grinding your own, but you don't have to start there until you settle on some candidates. If you like high caffeine content, stick with light or medium roast blends. There are many local roasters around that sell quality beans. Typically a "breakfast blend" is a solid, mild place to start.

After a trip to Kansas City for the Big 12 Basketball tournament, we discovered The Roasterie in KC and now I get all our beans shipped to our house from there, and they are fantastic.

The founder of the Roasterie is a Cyclone and at one point they had a location on campus. They even had a few ISU specific roasts.

https://www.theroasterie.com/blog/the-roasterie-fuels-groggy-iowa-state-students/

EDIT: It looks like they still do.

https://www.inside.iastate.edu/article/2019/01/17/hub

• Winner
Reactions: BACyclone

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I just buy the hyvee breakfast blend organic whole beans and grind them every morning. Honestly that is the biggest jump in coffee, grind it right before you brew.

And I use a crappy grinder it is fine:
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/KRUPS-Electric-Coffee-Grinder-Stainless/dp/B00004SPEU/

Cybball37

Dec 11, 2015
Central Iowa
I bought beans at Corazon in Valley Junction. They were really good but lighter roast than I prefer. That was on me though. It sounds like Zanzibar is something I need to look into. I’m sick of crappy coffee and I drink 2-3 cups every morning.

ESciGuy

Mar 16, 2010
Joliet, IL
Also for super easy good coffee check out the AeroPress.
Concur. However, put the plunger in the cylinder an inch, flip so plunger is on counter, add coffee, then water, stir, and cap with moistened filter. Let brew for a minute or two, then flip onto cup and press. If you follow the regular instructions, the coffee starts dripping out of the filter immediately. As Entropy noted, easy cleanup.

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
I bought beans at Corazon in Valley Junction. They were really good but lighter roast than I prefer. That was on me though. It sounds like Zanzibar is something I need to look into. I’m sick of crappy coffee and I drink 2-3 cups every morning.

Anything from Corazon would be considered a dark roast by roasting standards fwiw

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I bought a Ninja Coffee Bar. I'm sure it's considered the equivalent of buying a Honda Fit as a sports car but I wanted to start out with something my wife could use.

Bought the ninja about two months ago and we like the job it does and the included frother is nice but...it has stopped working completely. Every time we start the brew it goes about 10 seconds than beeps 5 times and shuts off. Did some digging online and it sounds like a factory defect a lot of others have had also. Going to have to return it for a replacement for a $20 shipping fee and try again. Hope you have better luck with yours.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
The biggest tip on coffee I remember from Alton Brown was not to skimp on the grounds. The first 2/3 or so of what leeches out of the bean is magical, but the last 1/3 is really bitter. If you don't use enough grounds, you'll pull a bunch of that bitter stuff into your cup. People often think coffee tastes bitter so they try going light on the amount of grounds which actually makes the problem worse.

• Informative
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Get a cheap espresso maker from Walmart. You can make any coffee in it and I can't drink coffee any other way now. Everything takes like water in comparison to a pressure strainer.

Help Support Us

Become a patron