Beer Money Sign guy donating it all to UI Stead Family Hospital

• Thread starter Deleted member 8507
  • Start date

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Theres a new video on the iowa state football page on the ESPN. Apparently it's over $50,000 raised now, being matched twice, so over $150,000. That's a lot of money.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

RIPVEISHEA

Mar 27, 2015
Odd angle here, but I'm genuinely curious - what are Carson's tax implications after all this is done? He's been gifted $80,000+. Does he have to claim that as income? Then, claim the charitable deduction after he donates it?

Also, the level of this donation is easily up to a point he could have naming rights to something in the hospital. CyHawk Children's Lounge, etc.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Theres a new video on the iowa state football page on the ESPN. Apparently it's over $50,000 raised now, being matched twice, so over $150,000. That's a lot of money.

Murph just updated and said it's up to $100k in his Venmo, $300k with the matching contributions.

Reactions: NWICY

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Odd angle here, but I'm genuinely curious - what are Carson's tax implications after all this is done? He's been gifted $80,000+. Does he have to claim that as income? Then, claim the charitable deduction after he donates it?

Also, the level of this donation is easily up to a point he could have naming rights to something in the hospital. CyHawk Children's Lounge, etc.

I wondered this today, too. My guess is that he would have to claim it, but then it would be cancelled out (minus the money he kept to buy a case of Busch Light) by the charitable donation.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Waving doesn't, maybe buying the tshirt does. I'd like to welcome you and Patrick Riley as our newest Hawk trolls.

The Wave has definitely created awareness. It's not directly providing money, but the hospital has gained a lot of mainstream, national recognition because of it. Hell, who knows if he donates to the hospital without that awareness? Not saying he wouldn't have donated to charity either way, but maybe he would have donated to a different cause/entity.

RIPVEISHEA

Mar 27, 2015
I wondered this today, too. My guess is that he would have to claim it, but then it would be cancelled out (minus the money he kept to buy a case of Busch Light) by the charitable donation.

I don't think the charitable deduction would work like a 1:1 cancel out. I think it's like 60% of your adjusted gross income.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I can attest to Iowa State kids going though those doors. My 5 month old daughter has cystic fibrosis and we visit the children's hospital once a month. Happy to have them even though I have to look at stupid Herkies every where!

Also, with Barta trying to make Cyclone fans look bad, it was perfect time for one of our "bad" fans to make headlines for doing something good for his school.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

Paging @isufbcurt

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM

I'm pretty sure gifts do not count as income.. I believe the main situation would be if the giver gave more than 15k, in which case that's on the giver to pay tax, not the receiver.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

My sister texted me yesterday and asked me that too. I can honestly say i don't know because I am not sure how Venmo works as I've never dealt with it.

Usually these types of transactions are considered gifts. It all depends on it Venmo issues a 1099K to the individual receiving the donations.

Based on the following: "A TPSO is only required to file a form 1099-K when reporting payments to a participating payee or provider of goods and services vendor. If a contractor exceeds 200 transactions or $20,000 of sales during the course of the year TPSO’s are required to report the gross payments before any processing or merchant fees are applied to the IRS."

I would assume he will receive a 1099K and have to report it on his taxes.

He of course would be able to claim a charitable contribution for the amount donated to the hospital, but that is a itemized deduction and is limited to 50% of his AGI.

RIPVEISHEA

Mar 27, 2015
My sister texted me yesterday and asked me that too. I can honestly say i don't know because I am not sure how Venmo works as I've never dealt with it.

Usually these types of transactions are considered gifts. It all depends on it Venmo issues a 1099K to the individual receiving the donations.

Based on the following: "A TPSO is only required to file a form 1099-K when reporting payments to a participating payee or provider of goods and services vendor. If a contractor exceeds 200 transactions or $20,000 of sales during the course of the year TPSO’s are required to report the gross payments before any processing or merchant fees are applied to the IRS."

He of course would be able to claim a charitable contribution for the amount donated to the hospital, but that is a itemized deduction and is limited to 50% of his AGI.

This is my understanding as well after some research. Basically, there's a good chance this kid gets a tax bill at the end.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Not sure how it works but as far as I know gifts/prizes over $600 have to be claimed as income. Maybe as long as each donation is considered by itself, only taxes would be paid on donations in excess of $600.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Not sure how it works but as far as I know gifts/prizes over $600 have to be claimed as income. Maybe as long as each donation is considered by itself, only taxes would be paid on donations in excess of $600.

Per my research it appears Venmo has to file a 1099K if there are more than 200 tranactions or more than $20,000 to a payee. So as I pointed out above he will most likely receive a 1099K from Venmo and have to claim it on taxes.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I find it slightly amusing that one Cyclone fan is going to be responsible for giving more to the UI Children's Hospital than ANF actually has generated for farmers. Not that I know the ANF numbers, but as far as I know, it's more about "awareness" than giving back. I do wish that Carson would have given half of that to Blank, which is also a really good children's hospital in DSM.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA

I wonder if he could just transfer ownership of the account to the hospital - and if he never actually takes possession of the $$ if he could avoid the taxes. Hopefully a good tax attorney that is knowledgeable on this will provide him some good (free) advice. (ianoconnor beat me to this by a couple minutes)

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I wonder why it doesn't just stop at these being considered gifts? Gifts aren't taxable income to the recipient.