MLB: ***Official 2019 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Reds a major pain in our ass this year
Yup. And they could actually be pretty good next year. Someone on MLB network a week or so ago said he's probably picking the Reds to win the Central next year

• Funny
Reactions: CyPunch

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Yup. And they could actually be pretty good next year. Someone on MLB network a week or so ago said he's probably picking the Reds to win the Central next year
Seems unlikely that they'll swing 40 games in one year

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Probably will have to win 7 of the last 10 games here to have any shot at the division and possibly even the final wild card spot. Have to take 4 of 7 from the Cardinals and 2 if not sweep the 3 against the Pirates to take the division probably. Cardinals have Arizona when we play the Pirates so this is a pretty crucial 4 game series to get at least 2 or 3 wins to put some pressure on the Cards before the season series finale.

Don't count out the Brewers either, they are hot right now and have a cushy schedule with 1 against the Padres, 3 vs the Pirates, 3 @ Reds, and 3 @ Colorado so they are playing all bottom of the division teams that are 10+ back from the Wild Card and nothing left to play for. I honestly don't like the Cubs chances of making the post season considering how the remaining schedules are setup.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I hadn't heard any real talk of the Ross deal until this link -

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs...re-talk-and-the-rumors-have-really-ramped-up/

"Bob Nightengale says it would be a surprise if David Ross *isn’t* the Cubs’ manager by Thanksgiving"

That said, I haven't had time to read the Bleacher much lately.

When Ross was singing the 7th inning stretch the other night the thought came to mind about how I would rather have him than someone like Girardi manage even if it would be his first manager job. He already has a relationship with many of the guys on the team and I do think he has a great knack for the game that he'd make a good manager. I keep going back to that video breaking down his world series HR in game 7 and they talked about how he was tied to when Lester would come in the game. There is a part where they show him and the managers discussing in the dugout and he pretty much was the reason Lester came in that game when he did because Ross told them he was ready now and they couldn't keep him up longer or sit him back down at that point. Listening to him talk during games he seems to have good insight and instincts on what is going on. If it's not him or Girardi who else would be in the mix?

Reactions: Walden4Prez

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
When Ross was singing the 7th inning stretch the other night the thought came to mind about how I would rather have him than someone like Girardi manage even if it would be his first manager job. He already has a relationship with many of the guys on the team and I do think he has a great knack for the game that he'd make a good manager. I keep going back to that video breaking down his world series HR in game 7 and they talked about how he was tied to when Lester would come in the game. There is a part where they show him and the managers discussing in the dugout and he pretty much was the reason Lester came in that game when he did because Ross told them he was ready now and they couldn't keep him up longer or sit him back down at that point. Listening to him talk during games he seems to have good insight and instincts on what is going on. If it's not him or Girardi who else would be in the mix?

I've been locked in on Girardi for a while now and went on the record saying he would be the man after this year. That said, I have no issue with Ross. The thought is actually very intriguing

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
Noticed that a few of the posters in this thread are in near proximity to me. I would be up for a Cyclone Fanatic ***Official 2019 Chicago Cubs Season Thread*** game watch at 1908 in Johnston if we make the playoffs.

Who's in?

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I’m hoping the Nationals really **** the bed hear last few series. Would much rather play the Brewers than Nats in 1 game series.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I'm not sure the game 7 Lester move is a shining example of good game management.

• Funny
Reactions: CYdTracked

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I like how he talked about the at bat and knew what the pitcher was thinking as only a catcher would.

Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I've been locked in on Girardi for a while now and went on the record saying he would be the man after this year. That said, I have no issue with Ross. The thought is actually very intriguing

The reservation I have about Girardi is was his success with the Yankees because they usually just outspend everyone and he was able to win games on talent alone? They did miss the playoffs 4 of the 10 years he was manager. He seems more like an old school manager and not sure that is what this team needs right now.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm not sure the game 7 Lester move is a shining example of good game management.

I've said it many times here, had game 7 not turned out the way it did with all those questionable pitching moves Maddon made he probably would have been fired by now. It really is amazing how the guy breaks the curse then after that the team just fell into mediocrity these past few years with the same problems and mistakes every season. I do think the front office is partially to blame for how they constructed the roster but there is just too much talent on this roster to have gone stagnant like that for multiple seasons now.