The infamous holding call

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Well yeah I Googled it and didn't see any stats for him. Figured maybe I'm doing something wrong and he actually does have stats from this year? I'm not that bright.
Are you spelling his name right?
T R A V I S
E T I E N N E

• Funny
Reactions: Gonzo

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Not to open up old wounds, but it was 100% the correct call. Meeker grabbed the jersey (inside the defenders left arm hole essentially) and physically pulled on the jersey and the defender went to the ground. You couldn't see it on tv because of where the bodies were but anyone watching from the Sukup would have been able to see it, and the official was right behind it.

Not to belabor the subject, but I re-watched this game with my friend who is a NFL official...and there was a "hold" on every single down of the entire game, both sides.

• Funny
Reactions: iahawks

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Twinkie ignores the phantom grounding call on Stanley. Selective outrage. They would say that didn't matter in grand scheme. Even though changing one play may have changed any future play thereafter. It is always the refs with these guys. Go back years. Against Kansas State it is always the refs, etc.
You're still ignoring this I see:
So what if discriminatory stuff was being stated? Is that the same as F State? You condone discriminatory statements? I am just speculating like everyone else is now.
You realize Gary Barta discriminates right?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not to belabor the subject, but I re-watched this game with my friend who is a NFL official...and there was a "hold" on every single down of the entire game, both sides.

The dude you quoted has the best vision in the world. He saw a tug right by the chest plate (coincidentally where they tell all lineman to grab) from close to 100 yards away while the play was at a 45 degree angle from him. Wow, that is an eagle eye.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Whoa, I quoted dirty and it says Gonzo. Is dirty gonzo, is gonzo dirty (if he’s a hawk fan he is). I am confused.
tenor.gif

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Whoa, I quoted dirty and it says Gonzo. Is dirty gonzo, is gonzo dirty (if he’s a hawk fan he is). I am confused.

Ha.....I got pieces of corn in my poop that are better than Gonzo. I can't remember where I got that quote. I am Forever True.....that is weird though.

Reactions: BCClone

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
Iowa fans being funny. whats sad is the clip posted isn't a anything as epenesa lost his footing trying to turn the corner, and basically takes himself out of they play.
https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/threads/for-cyclone-fans-whining-about-officiating.285053/
watching it in .25 speed hall gets a little chip block in that helps him lose his footing and JGJ just finishes it.

Lol whoever the OP was in that thread is an embarrassment. Look at the situation and score of that play. If they had called that hold on Epenesa, Iowa would have declined it anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
Has Brock played?

I think he might need a year to adjust coming from a wishbone HS team.

That answer was if you seriously cared. If you were just trying to be a douche then I guess I have to be like:

Was Nixon injured? He started the game but didn’t play huge portions of the second half. But was back in at the end. I mean a recruit Iowa got over Bama wouldn’t be out because he wasn’t doing a good job, so he had to have been injured right?

Last edited:

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Not to open up old wounds, but it was 100% the correct call. Meeker grabbed the jersey (inside the defenders left arm hole essentially) and physically pulled on the jersey and the defender went to the ground. You couldn't see it on tv because of where the bodies were but anyone watching from the Sukup would have been able to see it, and the official was right behind it.

sorry, but I didn't see that. I checked my DVR, they actually have a ground angle on the replay, a way closer view than anyone in the Sukup. For sure the best angle to see his hands and for the life of me I can't see what you describe. Meeker is the second guy to make contact, he is number 74, all he did was push, there was no hands up underneath and there was no pull, there was a push, but no pull up under the jersey whatsoever. It was a TERRIBLE CALL. And lets say for the sake of argument he did what you described, are you going to tell me that people in the Sukup are going to see that from that distance on something that if it did happen(a hand pull), was for 2 tenths of of second? Peoples eyes are that sharp they can register a hold of this nature? Sorry, I find that hard to believe. Besides, you can see Meekers hands on the tv angle anyway, like I said, from the ground view camera on the replay, a way better angle than the Sukup people could see it live from further away. One thing we couldn't see was number 66 hands, because Kolar (number 88) blocked it for a second. Once Kolar clears the picture, you can see everything. All 66 did was push, his hands were facing out and up, then Meeker comes in in the picture and his was his PUSH too, the defender lost his balance mainly because 66 pushed him from the side while the defender was running up field, this caused him to go off balance. Meeker came in and finished him off with a push of his own while he was already off balance and going down. So how could a pull and tug as you describe take him down if he was already going down anyway from the push to his side that caused him to lose balance?

• Informative
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
What's up with McDonald? I was expecting to see him coming off the edge a lot and don't remember hearing anything about him being involved. He hurt?
No he isn't hurt. This was a big talking point after the UNI game as well because he didn't start. All Cyclone fans heard all off season was how big of a freak athlete he is and we were expecting to see him, but he has played sparingly. The reasoning is because as good of an off-season as he had, Vance had an even better one. Couple that with Vance's 1.5 years of playing experience and it would be dumb to keep him off the field. McDonald has only been playing football for what, 3 years total of his entire life? Not to mention he moved from DE to LB. I figure by late October we will start to see him more regularly in the rotation

• Informative

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I think he might need a year to adjust coming from a wishbone HS team.

That answer was if you seriously cared. If you were just trying to be a douche then I guess I have to be like:

Was Nixon injured? He started the game but didn’t play huge portions of the second half. But was back in at the end. I mean a recruit Iowa got over Bama wouldn’t be out because he wasn’t doing a good job, so he had to have been injured right?

I seriously didn't know. But I like your fire.

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So assuming the phantom holding call didn't happen, what are both teams ranked this week? I'll go ISU #22 and Iowa #25

• Funny
Reactions: breck53

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You're hopeless here. How in the world can you say he 'beat' him when he didn't make plays? Hurries, sacks, and TFLs are the stats of 'getting beat.'

Don't this confused with me saying he had a poor game or is a bad player. I will say he isn't as good as some here want to believe, nor as bad...

He's not wrong....replay was on last night on FSN and just for example on the 3rd and 8 on the drive that ISU got their last field goal, Purdy had to adjust and his timing of the throw was off because of #94 coming around the end and making that happen. Not sure if that counted as a hurry or not but it impacted the play. This seemed to happen quite a bit.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So assuming ISU finishes drives, is more disciplined on defense, offense, and special teams, and doesn't **** up royally on a punt return with 1:30 left, and can run the ball, what are both teams ranked this week? I'll go ISU #22 and Iowa #25

FIFY.

The Iowa game was defined by ISU being inept when it mattered throughout the game.

Hopefully it gets better so we're not looking at a season of missed opportunity.

• Agree