Beer Money Sign guy donating it all to UI Stead Family Hospital

• Thread starter Deleted member 8507
  • Start date

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
Great for him and the hospital.

Maybe an Iowa donor, like kum and go, will say let’s also financially support the hospital this way and chip in.

While the wave is nice; it doesn’t give money to help the kids.

I creates awareness, which indirectly does generate new donors

I know multiple eastern Iowa business who have started profit sharing campaigns as a direct response to it.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Cool how this took off...I just imagine folks watching saturday sending $5-10..and how that multiplied..now with media attention, folks doing it for the good cause.

He should use some of the funds to buy hundreds of kid sized ISU jerseys for the kids at the hospital :)

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Cool how this took off...I just imagine folks watching saturday sending $5-10..and how that multiplied..now with media attention, folks doing it for the good cause.

He should use some of the funds to buy hundreds of kid sized ISU jerseys for the kids at the hospital :)

That would really piss Barta off. :D

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011

Barta’s press release in response to that would interesting...

“ISU fan disrespects hospital with yet another act of generosity”

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
This will be SVPs “one big thing” on 10pm sportscenter tonight. Something tells me this is going to top out at an enormous number, which is pretty great.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Great story except for the hawk fans claiming they're the one's responsible... because stead family hospital. Everywhere i read about this it shows pictures of the Iowa wave, kinnick stadium, hawk fans, and then hawk fans commenting on articles claiming this is a hawkeye thing.

I honestly don't know.. is the guy who started it an Iowa State or Iowa fan?

Not that it really matters. I just assumed initially it was an Iowa State thing.

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
Great story except for the hawk fans claiming they're the one's responsible... because stead family hospital. Everywhere i read about this it shows pictures of the Iowa wave, kinnick stadium, hawk fans, and then hawk fans commenting on articles claiming this is a hawkeye thing.

I honestly don't know.. is the guy who started it an Iowa State or Iowa fan?

Not that it really matters. I just assumed initially it was an Iowa State thing.

Well he’s an Iowa state student, wore a cyclone shirt with his sign at gameday, and has warn an ISU shirt in all the interviews, so I’m thinking he’s definitely an Iowa state fan.

It doesn’t matter what Iowa fans say... like at all. If losers on a message board want to take credit for something then let them. This is an ISU student and many ISU fans (as well as Iowa fans and total strangers) helping raise money for a great cause. I think it defines the values of our state. Sure let’s argue over sports, but in the end we are all willing to help our neighbors out... even if they’re Hawkeyes. Anyone taking it beyond that is an idiot. People helping people, it doesn’t matter who gets the credit.

I’m an ISU grad and fan and hate most everything about U of Iowa, but I separate the children’s Hospital from all that. I have seen first hand the families and the kids that the hospital impacts and can tell you that a viral fundraiser like this that generates $100k+ effects real people in real ways.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Some people are starting to notice this. View attachment 66922

This is exactly the same thing I said when I first saw this "new tradition" (talk about an oxymoron). If you really want to do something for those kids, pull out some cash, don't pull out some shallow gesture that you had to be coached into doing. Now if it had just been a spontaneous thing, started by a few fans that then grew into the whole stadium, that would be a different story. But no, these guys had to be coached/coaxed into doing by the PA announcer the very first time it was done.

benman82

Nov 17, 2009
This is exactly the same thing I said when I first saw this "new tradition" (talk about an oxymoron). If you really want to do something for those kids, pull out some cash, don't pull out some shallow gesture that you had to be coached into doing. Now if it had just been a spontaneous thing, started by a few fans that then grew into the whole stadium, that would be a different story. But no, these guys had to be coached/coaxed into doing by the PA announcer the very first time it was done.
The wave started as a facebook campaign by regular fans iirc. Just because it got big enough for the University and PA to officially back it doesn't make it uncool Let's not rag on the wave, it's a nice gesture and I'm sure the kids watching actually do appreciate it.

Now paying the contractors is something Iowa should be mercilessly shamed for. That whole situation is a mess, and from what I understand it's completely the fault of UI, they have repeatedly lost in court, and there doesn't seem to be any reason they won't pay up.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Well he’s an Iowa state student, wore a cyclone shirt with his sign at gameday, and has warn an ISU shirt in all the interviews, so I’m thinking he’s definitely an Iowa state fan.

It doesn’t matter what Iowa fans say... like at all. If losers on a message board want to take credit for something then let them. This is an ISU student and many ISU fans (as well as Iowa fans and total strangers) helping raise money for a great cause. I think it defines the values of our state. Sure let’s argue over sports, but in the end we are all willing to help our neighbors out... even if they’re Hawkeyes. Anyone taking it beyond that is an idiot. People helping people, it doesn’t matter who gets the credit.

I’m an ISU grad and fan and hate most everything about U of Iowa, but I separate the children’s Hospital from all that. I have seen first hand the families and the kids that the hospital impacts and can tell you that a viral fundraiser like this that generates $100k+ effects real people in real ways.
I spoke with him last night, I work with him. Def a great dude who just got an opportunity to do something really cool. Awesome thing going on!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron