I'm tired of hearing about the great Matt Campbell

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Kansas beat a 2-0 power 5 team on the road. That is more impressive than anything we've done yet. They have a good run game and average everything else. WVU beat a decent power 5 team but may be with Kansas. KSU beat an SEC team at their place with a new coach. And those are supposedly the easy wins. They will not be.
I do not think that Kansas and KSU are as bad as they were last year, but WVU is much worse. I think that we are better than we are last year and when our offense figures out it's woes, that will show.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I posted this in the other thread but we need to put the ball in the end zone. If that means taking more chances on 4th down then so be it. But we have to start scoring TD’s. It will be hard to get to 8 wins at our current pace.
We tried going for it on 4th down in the beginning of the game... and we had a false start penalty. We then went for it towards the end of the game and had the bad holding call negate the pass interference. I think our offense looks good 85% of the time it's on the field, and if it can figure out that 15%, we could be a really good team. Right now we're pretty good, but we could be loads better.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I posted this in the other thread but we need to put the ball in the end zone. If that means taking more chances on 4th down then so be it. But we have to start scoring TD’s. It will be hard to get to 8 wins at our current pace.

Some of it comes down to ISU stopping the trend of ****ing around when they get close to scoring. If temp and simple quick hitting plays got you there, keep at it.

If you didn't run a true punt return in the first game, and most of the second game, 1:30 and down by 1 is not the time to call for it.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
8 wins is not going to be easy this year. The Big XII is a meat grinder and there are no bad teams. That's our biggest problem.
4 more guaranteed wins and the rest are toss-ups or worse. We will get to 8. Tech losing their QB is HUGE although I don't know how long that will be.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
The jury is still out on KSU. Granted, they've looked good, but how many times did Rhoads start out 3-0 here? I think overall, the mid section of the conference is a little bit better than last year, but until conference play starts, we really don't know anything.
This ^^^ seems like a sane post. I watched TxT/Arizona. Tech was not good, maybe the worst team in the B12 without Bowman. Ku and WVU beat ACC teams. I'm not sure what to make of that. Baylor has played no one. TCU doesn't have a QB. oSu seems defenseless as usual. But it's way early to make any determinations beyond the obvious. ISU will be a nest of wasps for everyone they play particularly in Ames because of their QB and defense. It's a long season.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Those complaints were legit though. Go back to the those seasons a review who we had to beat to get to 7 wins...
2004 wins
UNI
9-3 Northern Illinois
3-8 Baylor
4-7 Kansas
5-6 Nebraska
4-7 Kansas State
8-5 Miami (OH)

Illinois State
7-5 Iowa
4-7 Army
4-7 Oklahoma State
5-6 Texas A&M
5-6 Kansas State
7-6 Colorado

Ouch. That really says it all. The last 2 Iowa State teams might have been undefeated with those schedules.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I'm guessing most of you will be tired of CMC before he decides to leave.
I posted this on 7/29/19 in the "If you were JP..." topic. It always starts with a post like this. I believe that CMC should not be above criticism, but careful how you word your criticism.

Some people just need not speak.
Check my sig line. :)

Wish we could cut CPR some slack on here. Yes, he lost his team and his staff was a mess towards the end. But he was in reactionary mode most of the time because of things outside of his control. But great coaches get ahead of things, as I think CMC does better than most. But CPR beat #2, at UNL with a sick team, took us to a bowl his first year and rebuilt fan's faith. We built a football facility because of those things. And that facility is the reason for our recruits we are getting along with CMC. Mac started it, Chizik brought recruits that CPR used to win, CPR got facilities and fan support that brought CMC.

Take a deep breath, Cyclone football is in good hands and Saturday was just a game. The trend doesn't seem good right now, but I feel we will see some really good things this year.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
He won 7 or more games numerous times. We also had good Nebraska, good Colorado and Texas A/M in the conference then too. MC is the man but coach Mac was the catalyst for all of this.

Danny Mac never beat a really good NU or CU team...
2004 wins
UNI
9-3 Northern Illinois
3-8 Baylor
4-7 Kansas
5-6 Nebraska
4-7 Kansas State
8-5 Miami (OH)

Illinois State
7-5 Iowa
4-7 Army
4-7 Oklahoma State
5-6 Texas A&M
5-6 Kansas State
7-6 Colorado

Ouch. That really says it all. The last 2 Iowa State teams might have been undefeated with those schedules.

2000 and 2001 were even worse...

• Winner
Reactions: Cat Stevens

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I posted this on 7/29/19 in the "If you were JP..." topic. It always starts with a post like this. I believe that CMC should not be above criticism, but careful how you word your criticism.

Check my sig line. :)

Wish we could cut CPR some slack on here. Yes, he lost his team and his staff was a mess towards the end. But he was in reactionary mode most of the time because of things outside of his control. But great coaches get ahead of things, as I think CMC does better than most. But CPR beat #2, at UNL with a sick team, took us to a bowl his first year and rebuilt fan's faith. We built a football facility because of those things. And that facility is the reason for our recruits we are getting along with CMC. Mac started it, Chizik brought recruits that CPR used to win, CPR got facilities and fan support that brought CMC.

Take a deep breath, Cyclone football is in good hands and Saturday was just a game. The trend doesn't seem good right now, but I feel we will see some really good things this year.

The recruits we are getting have way more to do with Campbell himself than the facilities.

CMC is a way better coach than CPR, there is no denying that.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Danny Mac never beat a really good NU or CU team...

2000 and 2001 were even worse...
It’s sometimes forgotten that outside of the cluster**** in Iowa city his first year, CMC never gets blown out and is at-least competitive almost always. There were many, MANY times Mac coached teams looked like Dowling trying to beat Alabama.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It’s sometimes forgotten that outside of the cluster**** in Iowa city his first year, CMC never gets blown out and is at-least competitive almost always. There were many, MANY times Mac coached teams looked like Dowling trying to beat Alabama.

Same with CPR's teams. We generally got HOUSED by the top half of the league.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
The recruits we are getting have way more to do with Campbell himself than the facilities.

CMC is a way better coach than CPR, there is no denying that.
I'm guessing you wouldnt have said that after the first couple years of CPR.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I'm guessing you wouldnt have said that after the first couple years of CPR.

To be fair, I didn't start following Iowa State really close until I went there in 2010. Going to a bowl game is first year, was impressive with what cheese-**** did to the program.

But 5-7, 6-7, 6-7 isn't anything special. I wouldn't say he established or 're-built' the fans faith with seasons like that. If he did, they were lost in the following 3 years going 8-28.

He could motivate you to run through a brick wall, but he couldn't recruit, at all.

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone