The infamous holding call

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Good thing CMC practiced this game plan against UNI...

Not sure if they doubled UNI's DL or not but yeah, the passing attack was very much the same as vs. UNI with pretty much everything being 5ish yard routes at most, and just a small handful being passes downfield.

BTW, what's up with McDonald? I'd heard he was pretty beastly in camp, thought for sure he'd play a lot. Is he hurt? I don't remember seeing him out there much.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Driving 50 yds with no timeouts in 90 seconds is for sure though

I mean do any Hawk fans out there think that doesn't happen vs your secondary? Seems like the consensus is from Iowa fans that ISU would have had no problem getting into FG range

• Disagree
Reactions: ANF

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
as was stated and I was corrected on it, hypothetical as this thread is, If Iowa takes the illegal hands to the face call on the play before it takes all of this out of the equation. So really think about this for a minute. A football game has so many variable and can change quickly. 1 play does not make or break the game.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
as was stated and I was corrected on it, hypothetical as this thread is, If Iowa takes the illegal hands to the face call on the play before it takes all of this out of the equation. So really think about this for a minute. A football game has so many variable and can change quickly. 1 play does not make or break the game.
I would like to give you an award for the most ironic username on CF.

• Funny
Reactions: Cybball37

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

I was hoping Iowa took that penalty and gave ISU another down. Instead we get the phantom holding call. Oh well

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
I mean do any Hawk fans out there think that doesn't happen vs your secondary? Seems like the consensus is from Iowa fans that ISU would have had no problem getting into FG range
I guess I don't understand why ISU didn't score more points then. I mean if it's "for sure", they should have scored more earlier in the game. If they drive 50 yds in 90 seconds with no timeouts, that leaves a 45-50 yds fg attempt. It's far from "for sure".

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Then they got the call wrong. Here it is from the official NFL rule book.

RULE SUMMARY VIEW OFFICIAL RULE
INTENTIONAL GROUNDING

It is a foul for intentional grounding if a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage because of pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion. A realistic chance of completion is defined as a pass that is thrown in the direction of and lands in the vicinity of an originally eligible receiver.

Item 1. Passer or Ball Outside Tackle Position. Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, who is outside, or has been outside, the tackle position,throws a forward pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including when the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or endline). If the ball crosses the line of scrimmage (extended) beyond the sideline, there is no intentional grounding. If a loose ball leaves the area bordered by the tackles, this area no longer exists; if the ball is recovered, all intentional grounding rules apply as if the passer is outside this area.

Item 2. Physical Contact. Intentional grounding should not be called if:

1. the passer initiates his passing motion toward an eligible receiver and then is significantly affected by physical contact from a defensive player that causes the pass to land in an area that is not in the direction and vicinity of an eligible receiver; or
  2. the passer is out of the pocket, and his passing motion is significantly affected by physical contact from a defensive player that causes the ball to land short of the line of scrimmage.

a. This wasn't an NFL game.
b. According to this, it was intentional grounding. Clearly did not meet item 2.1 criteria.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I guess I don't understand why ISU didn't score more points then. I mean if it's "for sure", they should have scored more earlier in the game. If they drive 50 yds in 90 seconds with no timeouts, that leaves a 45-50 yds fg attempt. It's far from "for sure".

As Kirk Ferentz says, we have a really clutch quarterback. If you felt comfortable giving Purdy the ball with a minute and a half left I guess I don't know what to tell ya

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
As Kirk Ferentz says, we have a really clutch quarterback. If you felt comfortable giving Purdy the ball with a minute and a half left I guess I don't know what to tell ya

I just knew if he had one more chance, ISU Wins....and then we Iowa State ourselves.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016

It doesn’t matter anyway. I’d rather see the yardage and the eye test for proof of one team being better than the other. W/L can be affected by outside factors, like the refs and super bowl emotions, as we all saw on Saturday.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
I say less than 50% chance. Would it have made us nervous? Absolutely but I'm sure Clones fans would have been as well. Clones have scored 30 points in regulation of their 1st two games. Scoring has been an issue. Special teams and kicker are questionable at best.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
LOL, this is a bad take from you. I'm not sure if I can trust your analysis much anymore. He was only like 4 yards past it.

Now that I have read the COLLEGE rules, and rewatched this, intentional grounding 100 out of 100 times. He clearly was throwing at the tackle the entire time with no one in the area code.

• Funny
Reactions: HOU_Blue

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I say less than 50% chance. Would it have made us nervous? Absolutely but I'm sure Clones fans would have been as well. Clones have scored 30 points in regulation of their 1st two games. Scoring has been an issue. Special teams and kicker are questionable at best.

Our kicker has been fine

moores2

Nov 9, 2018

Except then it is 3rd and 28 rather than 4th and 13. 2 Plays to get the yardage.

Help Support Us

Become a patron