The infamous holding call

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
We never really double teamed Epenesa by any means, however I assume that we would've gotten to that point had he started killing us. We ran the same style of offense as we did against UNI (with more downfield shots), and did it pretty darn well.

You can't be serious. ISU doubled him on 9 of the 23 plays they ran in the first half. Couldn't zero in on it in the 2nd half since my DVR stopped recording because of the delays. But yes, they doubled him with the LT/LG, LT/RB, and even the LT/RG on one play where the RB stepped up to fill for the RG and the RG floated over to help the LT. At one point the play-by-play guy commented "they're doing a good job of keeping two guys on Epenesa."

The plays they didn't double him were the trick passes, quick screens in AJE's direction, quick passes away from him and over the middle, and runs up the middle and to the other side.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You can't be serious. ISU doubled him on 9 of the 23 plays they ran in the first half. Couldn't zero in on it in the 2nd half since my DVR stopped recording because of the delays. But yes, they doubled him with the LT/LG, LT/RB, and even the LT/RG on one play where the RB stepped up to fill for the RG and the RG floated over to help the LT. At one point the play-by-play guy commented "they're doing a good job of keeping two guys on Epenesa."

The plays they didn't double him were the trick passes, quick screens in AJE's direction, quick passes away from him and over the middle, and runs up the middle and to the other side.
Interesting.. I honestly remember watching that matchup between JGJ and AJ, and don't remember us double teaming him very much. I must've just picked it out after that stretch that we did.

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019
Just went through that YouTube replay of the game quick to see how Iowa State treated Epenesa on passing plays, and I noted:

- 6 pressures (didn’t track whether single or double protection)
- 11 double teams
- 9 single protection “wins” by LT (most of these were quick throws)
- 5 times Epenesa dropped into coverage
- 4 swing passes/screens
- 2 rollouts away from Epenesa

And yet you guys still somehow think that Epenesa didn’t impact the game and that Iowa State didn’t double team him. LOL. Completely clueless.

Last edited:

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Interesting.. I honestly remember watching that matchup between JGJ and AJ, and don't remember us double teaming him very much. I must've just picked it out after that stretch that we did.

There were a few plays where JGJ had him one-on-one and did a good job. But most of the time if it was a play where Purdy was going to need any amount of time they gave him help. As they should. It was a smart plan.

• Agree
Reactions: iahawks

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
There were a few plays where JGJ had him one-on-one and did a good job. But most of the time if it was a play where Purdy was going to need any amount of time they gave him help. As they should. It was a smart plan.
I agree it was smart. He can be a game changer and we didn't allow him to be. That's how a lot of offenses attack other great defensive ends.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I agree it was smart. He can be a game changer and we didn't allow him to be. That's how a lot of offenses attack other great defensive ends.

I don't think we blitzed much, if at all. That would've put a lot of heat on Purdy, but also would've left us vulnerable to him beating us on scrambles.

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019
I don't think we blitzed much, if at all. That would've put a lot of heat on Purdy, but also would've left us vulnerable to him beating us on scrambles.

Iowa actually started blitzing quite a bit in the 4th quarter, and Iowa State really struggled against it. No coincidence that Purdy finished the game 8/15 after completing something like 17 of his first 18 passes.

• Funny
Reactions: JP4CY and Rural

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah there were really only a few times I remember Iowa sending much pressure. They sat back and our offense did a great job of finding areas to get open and Purdy did a good job of putting the ball on his receivers. For whatever reason in our two games we've killed ourselves around our opponents 35-40 yard line.

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009

Iowa started bringing more people a lot in the third/fourth quarter, especially on early downs to combat what ISU was doing on early downs. On standard downs (defined as first down, 2nd and 7 or less, 3rd and 4 or less, 4th and 4 or less) ISU was a ridiculous 19 of 21 passing for 276 yards and 2 TD's. That is so ridiculously good it's hard to believe Iowa won. That includes the halfback pass. On passing downs (things not standard downs) Purdy was just 6 of 14 for 51 yards.

Once it got to passing downs, Iowa was okay at putting pressure on Purdy when they didn't have to worry about any of the fakes or stuff going on in the backfield, or the designed runs by Purdy. But wow, on the standard downs ISU probably had arguably the best plan I've ever seen against a Parker-coached defense. Leistikow in his DVR column for Monday had Iowa blitzing on 12 of the final 24 snaps after only 4 of the first 30. ISU had 309 yards in its first 30 plays (over 10 yards per play!) and then 109 in the last 24.

DVR Monday

Iowa won the game for 2 reasons (my opinion only). Special teams for Iowa were a lot better, even aside from the muffed punt. Net punting for the game, Iowa 43.2 yards per punt, ISU 25.5. 18 yard advantage for Iowa per punt. And the holding call on the kickoff that put ISU at the 6.
Second is making less mistakes and/or luck. Good play by Stone to poke the ball out on the run by Purdy, but there's an element of luck as to which team recovers in that mad scramble. And of course the punt debacle.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I believe Epenesa did get a few hurries, as someone brought up, but you could see JGJ had his hands full but did a great job. Julian did not give up one sack to one of the best defensive ends in the nation. Iowa State has had their problems with the offensive line, but they did extremely well in that category this past Saturday.

He had one hurry

• Disagree
Reactions: breck53 and GTO

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
Same can be said for Iowa....
Objectively the Hawks probably aren't in the top 3 or 4 in the conference right now. Maybe they can get there when/if they get healthier. Hawks also need to make more of their scoring opportunities. Have to turn those fgs into tds to beat Michigan, Wisconsin, etc.

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN

Iowa didn't really utilize the blitz until late in the 2nd half

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
I came to understand your perspective. I get it now. You, personally, are a bad representative of ISU.

I am far from worthless. I hope you find value in our own life, work, and all things not related to a game which is played by young adults who are provided a scholarship.

Again, good luck the rest of the way.
Save it troll. You came on to this site for one reason only. Maybe you need to find value in your own team instead of coming on a rival site and douching up the place.

Reactions: GTO

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Just went through that YouTube replay of the game quick to see how Iowa State treated Epenesa on passing plays, and I noted:

- 6 pressures (didn’t track whether single or double protection)
- 11 double teams
- 9 single protection “wins” by LT (most of these were quick throws)
- 5 times Epenesa dropped into coverage
- 4 swing passes/screens
- 2 rollouts away from Epenesa

And yet you guys still somehow think that Epenesa didn’t impact the game and that Iowa State didn’t double team him. LOL. Completely clueless.

So we double teamed him twice in the second half according to hawks in here. Sound like Julian took care of him.

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019
So we double teamed him twice in the second half according to hawks in here. Sound like Julian took care of him.

No, I’m assuming the other poster was tracking total double teams- I was only tracking it on pass rushes. 8 of the 9 single coverage snaps did happen in the 2nd half, but they still double teamed AJ 5 times and he had 3 pressures in the second half.

I would say JGJ did an okay job on Epenesa- Iowa State rarely left him alone 1v1 on longer developing passing plays, and AJ was still able to rack up 6 QB pressures (7 according to Pro Football Focus). JGJ did win a handful of 1v1 snaps though.

• Funny
Reactions: CyTwins and Doc

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Objectively the Hawks probably aren't in the top 3 or 4 in the conference right now. Maybe they can get there when/if they get healthier. Hawks also need to make more of their scoring opportunities. Have to turn those fgs into tds to beat Michigan, Wisconsin, etc.

Hard to be at the top of the conference when you have no depth

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I can't believe Hawk trolls are actually rewatching the game play by play when ISU was on offense, to get the number of times AJ was or wasnt double teamed by ISUs offensive line, for the sole purpose of posting here.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I can't believe Hawk trolls are actually rewatching the game play by play when ISU was on offense, to get the number of times AJ was or wasnt double teamed by ISUs offensive line, for the sole purpose of posting here.

Lol it's really sad when you put it that way. I'm going to go to YouTube and count how many game changing phantom holding calls we got against us. BRB

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron