Pollard: big announcement coming soon

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Not sure if any of you have been to Cowboys AT&T stadium in Dallas, but this resembles the Texas Live entertainment venue. It is very nice. But... it has put a massive dent in the tailgating environment, and put more money into Jerry's pocket.

I'm a huge fan of this vision, but I hope it's balanced with keeping the stellar tailgate atmosphere that ISU is known for.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
They already sell alcohol in the stadium.

Besides, I dont buy this liability boogie monster that gets brought up. If it's such a risk why do they do it at most sports venues now, including many college stadiums?

I don't know what legitimately happened in the incident that Barta issued the press release about, but everyone ought to be able to recognize it is a completely different story from a liability standpoint if it was ISU that over served the alleged perp.

Serving alcohol will have serious expenses to go along with it, it won't be a huge money maker people think it would be imo.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Lots of talk here about P&L. I know ISU fans love their annual trips down there for the B12 tournament, and it has been popular here locally as well, but it has missed financial projections by a mile.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article9530081.html

Estimates were that P&L would bring in $20M per year in taxes to offset the bond payments for the development. In reality, it has been generating just under $5M, leaving the KC taxpayers on the hook for $15M per year with another 20 years to go. This despite the anchor Sprint Center being highly successful, with 120-130 events per year. Not to mention a location in the heart of downtown in a metro of over 2M people.

Certainly don't want any liabilities like that hanging over the athletics department going forward. Financial structure of this will be key.

jmkc12

Apr 27, 2017
Think of what this will do for Campbell's recruiting in about 2-3 years

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
So how do they determine public parking for this area? Obviously public parking will have to be blocked off for game days, but do you have donor lots right next to a place of business?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I don't know what legitimately happened in the incident that Barta issued the press release about, but everyone ought to be able to recognize it is a completely different story from a liability standpoint if it was ISU that over served the alleged perp.

Serving alcohol will have serious expenses to go along with it, it won't be a huge money maker people think it would be imo.
This is crap

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
We are extremely fortunate to have ample space around the complex, although it slowly is being developed. How many other universities could conceive of this without relocating their stadium(s) a long distance from the campus?

Done right you can have the Cyclone Power and Light and ample paved donor parking...I like it!

GoodyISU1

Jul 15, 2014
I love it but am also skeptical. Footballl game weekends would be great. But what about the summer and spring? How much use will it see it and therefore how much return on investment for tenants? I can see use of it before basketball games at times also. It's off the path of students (and probably is not supposed to be directed at them as much) and not sure how much they would go out of their way; especially in the cold months.

There are tons of events that take place at Scheman that would have a lot of use for the hotel & restaurant spaces. The fact that there is a hotel right by there could also potentially draw more conferences & conventions to the Iowa State Center. The lack of a truly nearby hotel is a big negative for a lot of multi-day events.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We are extremely fortunate to have ample space around the complex, although it slowly is being developed. How many other universities could conceive of this without relocating their stadium(s) a long distance from the campus?

Done right you can have the Cyclone Power and Light and ample paved donor parking...I like it!
How many would need to?
For many stadiums with great game day atmosphere, it happened organically, with the old stadiums being built on what was the edge of campus and commercial development capitalizing as college athletics became big business. Like if we would have had been able to expand Clyde Williams mid last century and/or the vision for the Iowa State Center occurred prior to the north end of campustown being developed.

It is one of the primary positives of being late to investing in college athletics and in the 70’s putting a new, cheap stadium nearly in a flood plain at the end of campus.

• Agree
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm buying some lottery tickets tonight. If I win, 90% goes to the project, providing I get naming rights. And the right to exclude hok fans. View attachment 66883

My wife mentioned something about donating and getting something named after us. I told her we could maybe get a speed bump. Maybe close to the entrance if we're lucky
vauEUgn.gif

cykee05

Jul 21, 2017
It should have been done with the performance center. Just as the west side facade could have been integrated with the Indoor facility, but at least that was in times of desperation.

It’s such a waste to not do a NEZ project as or with a performance center that’s basically in the NEZ. It doesn’t give me much faith in an even more complex undertaking like this getting done.
IMO- Shouldn't we try selling out JTS for every game in one season before we go spending additional $$ on additional seating in the NEZ? I dont think anything they are doing now in the NEZ would disallow any future expansion/bowling in if demand requires it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The more i take a look at this plan, the more i look at it and think this could be huge. Not even just for the plan, but for the long term development it could spur. If everything in that video was built out, it certainly seems like that would end up "phase 1" and more of those lots would end up developed.

And at that point it comes down to a question of priorities. We all love tailgating, and it has sustained iowa state football when iowa state was bad. Hopefully we can counter as much lost parking as possible with future parking to keep tailgating great at iowa state.

But on some level, as areas for future growth in Ames diminish without going out to more fringe areas (ames is pretty limited by some of its obstacles like waterways), at some point the parking lots between JTS and Hilton become the most valuable chunks of land in the city, and it would be irresponsible for the University not to maximize the value of that land.

cykee05

Jul 21, 2017
After all of that, not one god damn mention of hot tubs in the end zone. Kiss my donation money goodbye Jamie!!!
I still think the perfect place for these would be on the roof above the SEZ Club. Wasted space if you ask me!

Reactions: NWICY

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
IMO- Shouldn't we try selling out JTS for every game in one season before we go spending additional $$ on additional seating in the NEZ? I dont think anything they are doing now in the NEZ would disallow any future expansion/bowling in if demand requires it.

You don't design stadiums for 'selling out the worst game'. At that point you're leaving money on the table from the games that would draw higher attendance.