The infamous holding call

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The elephant in the room appears to be the Clones inability to put points on the board. They scored 17 pts. That's 30 pts in regulation in the 1st 2 games. Clones have broken 30 once in their last 8 games. Should be very concerning. Hawks clearly have some redzone issues as well but clearly are more efficient at putting points on the board.
Also, fantastic that you cherry picked that number as a basis of scoring lol. In the 7 games we didn't reach 30, we had 29, 26, 27, 10 (only bad game), 28, and 27. Then there was obviously this past week's game against a good defense. So there were two times we didn't score over 26 points in the last 9 games and they were against Texas and Iowa.

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
Yep. I think it would be three though. Not sure how you could justify four
Yeah, just looked and it was two based off your old post. Haha, thanks for the info, I'll hold off on the listen and see if Clonedude put out something instead.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
You should listen to Jeff Woody on the latest podcast to hear how they made Epenesa irrelevant on the field by attacking him
Well yes, you minimize his strength of passrush by running RPO and rollouts and run plays to his side of the field and short passing games in the other direction. It is textbook football and good coaching job on the part of CMC and crew. which was the game plan.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Epenesa isn't your best player and your secondary is depleted because of poor recruiting but yes you won your Super Bowl
Who is Iowas best player then? AJ is the best DL guy we have. Just because he did not get his sack this game does not mean he will not make it as an every down type guy at the next level or perform all year. Iowa played contain on Purdy also and made him make plays with his arm and not scrambling. You need to understand Iowa defense better.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
So you recruited to play the 4-3 but you want to play a 4-2-5? Bold strategy

They have the last 2 years? last year was the beginning of it. The 2019 an 2020 classes is an indication they are going to try the 4-2 more with the star position.

• Agree
Reactions: TXHawk

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Who is Iowas best player then? AJ is the best DL guy we have. Just because he did not get his sack this game does not mean he will not make it as an every down type guy at the next level or perform all year. Iowa played contain on Purdy also and made him make plays with his arm and not scrambling. You need to understand Iowa defense better.
Iowa's best player is AJ Epenesa. Just because Iowa State played well on him doesn't mean he isn't their best player.

• Agree
Reactions: Thinker

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA

There is a reason AJ wasn't an every down DE last year, and this year it does show, you're being dishonest with yourself if you think otherwise. That doesn't mean he is bad or isn't your best player.

Purdy not scrambling is due not only to Iowa's defense, but also to ISU's strategic use of Purdy, which has also been well documented...

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
There is a reason AJ wasn't an every down DE last year, and this year it does show, you're being dishonest with yourself if you think otherwise. That doesn't mean he is bad or isn't your best player.

Purdy not scrambling is due not only to Iowa's defense, but also to ISU's strategic use of Purdy, which has also been well documented...

He is more of a pass rush guy than a run defense guy. I can tell he has gotten better against the run, but he still would much prefer to rush the passer. There were a few plays where he bit on the zone read to the RB only to have Purdy keep the ball. He also went for the outside pass rush that left a wide open hole for the ISU RB in the fourth quarter. He still needs to get better at those things.

• Agree
Reactions: herbicide

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017

If we are being honest, Purdy does not look as good this year as he did last year after losing his main weapons. Is he good? yes, but the play making ability is not at last years level without Butler.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Wirfs and I don't think it's even close

• Dislike
Reactions: TXHawk

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
So the first 50% of our first 10 throws were for 10+ yards and you're saying we didn't attack down the field? I remember almost every one of those throws and they were not swing passes by any means. We were finding holes in the middle of the zone coverage and picking up chunks of yardage. We took our shots down the field as well. To start the second half we threw a 73 yard TD and then an 18 yard pass to Pettway that was also not a dump off.
How long did it take those plays to develop?

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
So the plan this year was to go 4-3
No, they were looking for their Star position, It was going to be DJ Johnson or Ojemudia but with the lack of depth it did not shake out that way at the onset of the first few games.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
My apologies, I thought you were referencing the defensive side of the ball. I agree Wirfs and maybe Linderbaum are our best players this year all around.

Wirfs has really taken another step this year. He has been man handling everybody so far and he plays both tackle positions at an elite level. He might be in line for the Outland Trophy this year.

• Funny
Reactions: Rural

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Again, I offered my thoughts, but I can reiterate. 1) I cannot tell if the ISU player who goes to the ground along with the IOWA player is grasping the IOWA player or not. This could be a true hold or it may be due to the DL being taken to the ground. I have watched both angles and cannot tell. 2) Yes, if the holding hadn’t happened, ISU could have run down the clock or they may have fumbled. That is not an unreasonable assumption given the prior results. 3) What are the chances that the kicker makes it?

If you run through all of these variables, the likelihood of the result that you desire continues to decrease. I don’t live in a world of hypotheticals. None happened. What did happen is ISU got a re-do on 4th down and your QB threw it to an IOWA player. IOWA then relinquished possession and ISU fumbled.

The refs did not cost you this game. Go win your next one and find peace with reality.

You’re trying way too hard. It’s shows you’re nothing more than the standard insecure hawk.

Say it was a terrible call which it was and then shut the **** up.

• Funny
Reactions: criticalobserver

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
If we are being honest, Purdy does not look as good this year as he did last year after losing his main weapons. Is he good? yes, but the play making ability is not at last years level without Butler.

Huh? Are you trying to say ISU receiver corps isn't as strong as it was last year? That's a complement to Butler, not a slam on Purdy. Of course Purdy isn't even going to attempt certain throws/routes since Butler is gone...

That is like faulting Mario Andretti for not being able to drive a street car as well as a race car.

• Winner
Reactions: Statefan10