Salt on wound...

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The game Saturday is the very definition of shooting yourself in the foot. We won basically every statistical category and still managed to lose the game.
It was almost a spitting image of the UNI game but against a better opponent. All we need is to figure out the offense between our opponents 40 and 25 yard lines... and also special teams

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Repeating but the amazing part is that ISU still had a chance after so many screw ups throughout the game, but saved their best for last with that punt return.

A better prepared and less mistake prone ISU wins that going away.

Better now than in two weeks in Waco but it'll be interesting to see if it doesn't continue.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I can't see the tweet but can I assume this is the 498-2 stat that Blum dug up? That is incredible and should not happen. I'm not sure what it means but it's not good. Poor luck, poor coaching, and poor/opposing referring are probably all involved.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The game Saturday is the very definition of shooting yourself in the foot. We won basically every statistical category and still managed to lose the game.

Leaving the stadium I overheard a Hawk fan talking to an ISU fan. "You guys kicked our asses up and down the field all day and still found a way to lose." Pretty much describes this thread topic.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I can't see the tweet but can I assume this is the 498-2 stat that Blum dug up? That is incredible and should not happen. I'm not sure what it means but it's not good. Poor luck, poor coaching, and poor/opposing referring are probably all involved.
No, it something different. Per ESPN's stat crunching 'machine,' ISU had a 97% chance of winning that game as it was played, per the stats.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I think if we fix special teams, we are good. I know there are mistakes by all units but when I think about last year and so far this year, special teams is the most frequent and egregious violator.

Take away Lang's ill advised return from 1 yard deep and the PR snafu to end the game and we likely win by a TD.

Add to that the inability to generate any kind of return - the missed field goal (not a long kick) against UNI.

Season looks completely different, without touching offense or defense mistakes.

I haven't spent the time but I bet there was a game or two last year we could have won with better ST play as well.

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
I’ve seen this circulating on twitter quite a bit and I think it’s pretty misleading. I realize that you can’t just remove two plays from a game but 30% of our total yards came on 2 plays which obviously is going to skew an average ypp stat. I believe I saw that our average ypp in Iowa territory was something like sub 3 ypp if I remember correctly. Like Heacock said, yards don’t mean anything.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

Can't see any tweets.

Here is what I was referencing.

The two losses are Memphis vs. Navy last year, and Iowa State vs. Iowa on Saturday. I must admit, if there is any coach that can find a way to win a game like that it would be Kirk Ferentz.

Time of possession plays a big role. Navy had about a 25 minute edge in TOP, and Iowa had about a 10 minute edge.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I’ve seen this circulating on twitter quite a bit and I think it’s pretty misleading. I realize that you can’t just remove two plays from a game but 30% of our total yards came on 2 plays which obviously is going to skew an average ypp stat. I believe I saw that our average ypp in Iowa territory was something like sub 3 ypp if I remember correctly. Like Heacock said, yards don’t mean anything.

The advanced stats all use things like adjusted yards per play for a reason.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I think if we fix special teams, we are good. I know there are mistakes by all units but when I think about last year and so far this year, special teams is the most frequent and egregious violator.

Take away Lang's ill advised return from 1 yard deep and the PR snafu to end the game and we likely win by a TD.

Add to that the inability to generate any kind of return - the missed field goal (not a long kick) against UNI.

Season looks completely different, without touching offense or defense mistakes.

I haven't spent the time but I bet there was a game or two last year we could have won with better ST play as well.
There were probably 6 or so of those single plays including Lang's return that taking away any one of them would have changed the outcome.
  • 3rd and 22 conversion (gotta give Stanley credit on that one)
  • Dropped interception #1
  • Dropped interception #2
  • Overthrow to Kolar in endzone
Purdy's fumble was probably the single most impactful play. It was at least a -3 point swing, most probably a -6 or even a -10 swing.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Awesome stats - thanks for sharing. Can someone explain their interpretation of the last bullet point : "...that Iowa D is amazing on passing downs (6th in PD success rate).." ??

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

If you read the Blum article the words luck and random are used pretty heavily.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
There were probably 6 or so of those single plays including Lang's return that taking away any one of them would have changed the outcome.
  • 3rd and 22 conversion (gotta give Stanley credit on that one)
  • Dropped interception #1
  • Dropped interception #2
  • Overthrow to Kolar in endzone
Purdy's fumble was probably the single most impactful play. It was at least a -3 point swing, most probably a -6 or even a -10 swing.

Is that Rose's bobble-drop? Def could have been an INT, but IMO it would have been an acrobatic, spectacular grab. #2 was certainly a gimmie and an easy blown opportunity.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Is that Rose's bobble-drop? Def could have been an INT, but IMO it would have been an acrobatic, spectacular grab. #2 was certainly a gimmie and an easy blown opportunity.
Yes, but the cherry was there to be picked. I think there were 1 or 2 other throws that ideally would have been picked.

Darius Bieber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2017
San Antonio, TX
We need to be able to land a top recruit at Kicker and Punter. If CMC really does care about winning the margins, this needs to be a necessity.

If we can get a kicker that can consistently be accurate from 40/45+ yards and a punter who consistently can get 50+ yard punts (Van Der Camp anyone?)... Those are legitimate game changers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron