Pollard: big announcement coming soon

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
100%. I'm very curious to see all the roadblocks the city throws up. 15 years ago when I was in college there was a company that was willing to come in and make a MAJOR investment in the block west of Welch across from People's/fire station. It got killed by the city because people complained about parking, and that area still resembles a town square in a dying Iowa small town.

Don't even get me started on the what the reaction of the people living west of Beach will be.
It’s counter to nearly every other similar college town you’ll find. Hopefully that generation of thinking in Ames is over. But I’m guessing there is still a powerful bloc that will continue to protect their exploitation.

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
To me this just adds to the merging of the DSM metro and Ames that is inevitably going to happen (and is already occurring). ISU is going to be a huge school soon (I’m thinking like a MSU level population). If the athletics programs expansion continues and the population explosion continues around DSM this just helps to cement ISU as the metro’s school going forward. I envision an OKC/Norman type relationship.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
The hotel and expanded Schemen has been a goal for a long time. Back in 2012 the plan was to locate it in the space just west of Fisher and Stephens. Also, I believe the new RV area will be just east of the intramural fields. It will be interesting to see the concepts that come out of this study. I will hold any critiques until I actually see a plan. It will be interesting to see how they deal with flooding and displaced parking.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Imagine what it must be like to be a restaurant or bar owner in Ames and read that press release. You basically exist to serve a university town and now that university has decided to compete directly with you. At first glance this doesn't seem like a great thing for city/university relations.

Another thought: what is the taxation on something like this? The university already has no property taxes and pays no sales tax on its purchases. How does that work in a development like this?

Another thought: presumably this whole thing will have to be elevated to take it out of the flood plain. How much extra pressure does that put on Duff when a 1993 or 2010 happens?

Pretty sure the restaurants exist because of the university... not because the restaurant chooses to serve the university. If they don't like it pack up and set up shop in Boone instead.

There will be plenty of business to go around.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I mean, even if you built something as large as power and light, if you actually look at the scale of our parking lots it would take away a single lot.

hYKhdEC.jpg
Bumping since people keep thinking this project will take away all of the parking. It will take away 1 lot, maybe 2 at the very most.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Now do you understand that the comment alluding to the allowance of the tail wagging the dog should be over?

A generational project to the front door of ISU shouldn’t be constrained by the politics a handful of local businesses interests that wouldn’t exist without ISU. They should damn near be offering JP and Wendy Keys to the city.

"Tail wagging the dog" suggests some kind of outsized influence relative to their size or importance. It isn't the restaurants and bars voting down convention center space and wellness centers for Ames. Those are citizens expressing their preferences. It's not hard to imagine they might resist something like this too, and put pressure on political leadership to resist it as well. (Obviously ISU anticipates that as city leaders are included on this working group.)

To be clear, I'm not opposed to this at all. I barley know anything about it. I'm just trying to analyze the lay of the land politically.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
How do you get traffic in the middle of the summer when everything is on Duff? The traffic that's closest (students) are gone for the summer and even if they're around they're the group with the least disposable income and the group that will make the area look like **** immediately if you tailor it to them so they're out.
Weddings, Iowa games, fundraising, graduation events, concerts, class reunions, corporate events.

I think most people would be surprised at the number summertime events at the Union, Alumni Center, Reiman, Scheman, etc and this could really supplement that.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
I want to see the concepts they were showing donors last week.

This release makes it sound like they're willing to kill all parking between Hilton and Jack trice and im thinking that's a problem

They mention relocating the commuter lot and if you look at a map I'm wondering if they're just talking about using the area where the A and B lots are and leaving the C lots for parking. There's plenty of room to develop using just the A and B lots.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Ames is about a 65,000 person town of which 25,000 people are gone 4 months per year. Green Bay is over 100,000 and they're all full time residents.

Almost all restaurants in Ames do great on game days. We can all hate on Duff for being a disaster (it is) but guess what? That's where traffic in Ames is at. A good chunk of almost any business making it is location. The Iowa State Center is a poor location outside game day.

If you could anchor the area with Hickory Park or Wallaby's that's one thing because their reputations may be able to overcome the location challenge but neither of them are going anywhere. No national chain is going to jump on being off the beaten path.
You are aware there are many commercial businesses in Ames year-round? This just has to be better than others, none of which would have game days and other events to anchor them.

It’s relative. Ames has less people, but also less competition. Like the Packers, it also has a residential customer base and out-of-town pull that few startup restaurant/bars have. I agree, if you add a smaller P/L entertainment area at ISC, not all current Ames businesses will make it. That no doubt it is concerning those with current investments on places like Duff.

What’s a good location changes is cities. Several similar projects dispute the claim no chain will move off the beaten path. That’s largely the thing with these projects, when you do these things you create a beaten path at the expense of an existing one. Like I said before, to do this would take investment and coordination between the AD, university, and city that exists in college towns like Ames, but rarely in Ames.

Last edited:
  • Winner

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
In any event, it's going to take some time, maybe 5-10 years. In the meantime, they could start WW3 and the whole place gets leveled. Then we could start over and really make it perfect!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Bumping since people keep thinking this project will take away all of the parking. It will take away 1 lot, maybe 2 at the very most.

Except as the one who posted that, the ISU release seems grander in scale than what I posted.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
"Tail wagging the dog" suggests some kind of outsized influence relative to their size or importance. It isn't the restaurants and bars voting down convention center space and wellness centers for Ames. Those are citizens expressing their preferences. It's not hard to imagine they might resist something like this too, and put pressure on political leadership to resist it as well. (Obviously ISU anticipates that as city leaders are included on this working group.
Siding with anything other than what ISU deems beneficial is an outsized influence relative to their size and importance.

Are you new to small town politics, particularly Ames? A small minority of citizens, often with special interests, generally shapes “preference”. It’s not hard to imagine those facing competition in exploiting the fact ISU is what brings money to Ames would resist this.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Except as the one who posted that, the ISU release seems grander in scale than what I posted.
Yeah I see what you mean. Let's hope we see some designs soon because I would think JP of all people would know you do not want to cannibalize what created the Iowa State Football fan culture, ISU tailgating.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I know ISU dining already has a restaurant with this name but I would love if they had a Clyde's Sports bar.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I just don't see how that could happen. I think we are losing sight of just how expansive the area is between Hilton and Jack Trice. I would imagine you could put up a hotel and a P and L type area and that footprint would still leave considerable area for parking.

Agree....the core of the PL district (open area with teh businesses facing in) isn't that big...you could essentially take one of the lots that runs on the East side and convert (or do it to a center based one)......tons of parking still for events and for this district. LOVE the way JP thinks...this is one of those "next level" opportunities....(as we all know our campus town lacks flare now)