Natural Grass vs Artificial/Field Turf

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I've been on the new field turf in the uni dome and if you ask me it's to slick. They used to put wrestling mats right on the old turf. When they put the mats down on the new stuff the just slid and came apart. Was a disaster and it's why USA Preseason Nationals is now in Des Moines. I couldn't imagine it getting a little moisture on it what it would be like

I have been on that, they went cheap. Son played there and a couple other field turf places and he said UNIs sucked compared to others. There’s is a tweeter between the early 90s Astro turf and today’s stuff.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
If you say this you don't know the systems and tech and money they have to maintain that natural surface. You can't compare our surface to a pro surface. Do a little research to what those fields have to keep them going.

You are unable to share the “little research?”

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I actually thought the field held up really well considering the monsoon that occurred. It wasn't so good when the students were running around, but it recovered amazingly well for the teams after that.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
I stayed off of CF for a day because of the stupid threads I anticipated. But this one... this one wins the stupid thread award.
Greatest grass field in the country....blah blah blah. (Yes, on media day)

The only thing stupid is defending our grass while even some 2A high schools in Iowa have gone to Field turf. Geezus are you people that drunk by kickoff? Our grass was garbage by halftime last week. There were large chunks of grass turf laying around the field.
It'll be a disaster this Saturday if it keeps raining. It will look terrible in november. It almost cost us the Drake game last December. wtf are some of you looking at? LOL ,

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It is a pretty tough call. I love the grass field, and there are a lot of benefits to keeping it, but last year it was a total mess by the end of the year, and it is looking like it will be torn up worse this year. Hopefully the rain will stay away today and then the turf will have some time to heal. Feels like if it gets torn up this early in the season, it will turn into a mud puddle again.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It is a pretty tough call. I love the grass field, and there are a lot of benefits to keeping it, but last year it was a total mess by the end of the year, and it is looking like it will be torn up worse this year. Hopefully the rain will stay away today and then the turf will have some time to heal. Feels like if it gets torn up this early in the season, it will turn into a mud puddle again.

And Texas will HATE it.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

The only thing stupid is defending our grass while even some 2A high schools in Iowa have gone to Field turf. Geezus are you people that drunk by kickoff? Our grass was garbage by halftime last week. There were large chunks of grass turf laying around the field.
It'll be a disaster this Saturday if it keeps raining. It will look terrible in november. It almost cost us the Drake game last December. wtf are some of you looking at? LOL ,
Congrats. I can tell you a lot of schools at least up here in MN who are having buyers remorse on field turf. Whether related to the studies saying serious knee injuries are more prevalent, the field being almost unusable in the middle of the summer due to temperature, how much harder it is (I don't know that I buy this) or the concerns about exposure to the pellets and what long term effect those have as it relates to causing cancer and things.

Field turf isn't some magical solution where all problems go away... They just become different ones.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

For the record, ISU's play and lack of running game almost cost them the Drake game.

That said, cancelling it with the lack of crowd and risk of injury would have been fine by me, and repeating but if today's gets cancelled, leave it alone and earn the wins.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I really don't know what the right answer is?

Well I do know the RIGHT answer... that's having the best natural grass field in the entire country, which we normally do. That's what football was intended to be played on, and should be played on..... no question about that IMO. It's much better for the health of the athletes as well. I love that part about ISU football.

Basically the ONLY reason to go with field turf is $. But in college athletics today, $ pretty much rule everything. You never want to have to cancel a game due to field conditions.... but really, how much of an issue is that? Most games are cancelled due to lightning, not field conditions. In fact, I've seen games cancelled for unsafe field turf too where the seams aren't good.

And as for how the field "looks" later in the season when it's not so green anymore.... who gives a f**k? This is football folks. It's messy, it's dirty, it's ugly.... get over it. And a wet messy field is not necessarily a clear advantage for the slower, ground and pound team. Many say that WR's have a big advantage on a poor field because they know where they're going, and the DBs don't, and the DBs will slip when making their cut to react.

So as you can see, I still lean towards keeping the natural grass. It's something that sets us apart, and something we're somewhat known for. Iowa fans always ask me when we're going to go to field turf.... and I just always say that football was meant to be played on grass.... and maybe the reason why Iowa has more injuries is due to their field turf?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

Interesting that you’re saying that we should be doing everything the way a 2A high school does. Is Jamie aware of this?

I know that there are schools with blue artificial turf. I suppose that you’d want to go with Cardinal, just because someone else is stupid enough to do it?

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
I've been on the new field turf in the uni dome and if you ask me it's to slick. They used to put wrestling mats right on the old turf. When they put the mats down on the new stuff the just slid and came apart. Was a disaster and it's why USA Preseason Nationals is now in Des Moines. I couldn't imagine it getting a little moisture on it what it would be like

It’s slick when it rains but it will dry out quicker.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Drainage is all subsurface. You can have water sitting on field turf no different than grass. If you put crap for base on either type it isn't going to drain worth a ****.

Well yeah that matters but remove the components to grow real grass and have equal drainage the turf will dry quicker. I’m all for the natural grass surface. It just needs to be stripped down and updated.

• Dislike
  • Agree
Reactions: Cyguy94 and Die4Cy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron