Water Heater Issue - Replacement Advice?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
You're going to replace two water heaters because the pressure relief valve is leaking on one? Just replace the valve, they go bad quite often.

• Agree
Reactions: peteypie

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
You're going to replace two water heaters because the pressure relief valve is leaking on one? Just replace the valve, they go bad quite often.

Well...I also want to stay ahead of the curve a bit...I looked at the "fine print" on both water heaters last night and one was installed in 1999 and the other in 2000.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They are linked together in the sense that every hot water faucet in the house draws from both tanks...is that what you are asking?

Yes. Was asking if they served specific purposes, apparently they don’t. I’d go down to a 50 gallon. I have a 6th grader had two HS kids until this year and we got by with a 50 and we wash 1-2 loads every day and also a load of dishes.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
Check with your utility company: they may have specific units for sale or at least rebate options.

If so that should simplify the decision process

Reactions: cyfanatic

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
If they are 20 years old I wonder if they have ever been drained to get rid of lime build up. I've done that on ours before. It may get rid of your pressure valve issue.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
If they are 20 years old I wonder if they have ever been drained to get rid of lime build up. I've done that on ours before. It may get rid of your pressure valve issue.

A few people I have talked to suggested that if they have worked for 20 years then I should consider myself lucky and change them out? I hate doing that if I don't have to but I also see their point...how much longer can I expect them to last? Also...the area around the utility room is all finished so I would hate to have an incident that caused damage/issues to the living space around that room. Again...I hate paying for something I don't have to...but I am leaning in the direction that soon enough I am probably going to replace them anyway?

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
On top of all of that I know of a couple people who have had tankless ones freeze up and burst in the winter. I don't think I'd ever go that route personally.

Have them check their venting. Most likely they are getting cold winds in their flu and it is coming back into the heater itself. Nothing wrong with the units themselves, they have been vented wrong. The problem with tankless is that very few contractors know how to install them properly. Venting is one of the most important installation issues and gets overlooked a lot.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Mine is 20yrs old and still running well. When it’s timecto replace, will stick with the tank.

Our water heater is the last major appliance hanging on from when our house was built in 95. After 24+ years I think we’ll just go for a direct replacement of what we have when it does finally crap out. The gas to run it has to be minimal although I’ve never really checked.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
A few people I have talked to suggested that if they have worked for 20 years then I should consider myself lucky and change them out? I hate doing that if I don't have to but I also see their point...how much longer can I expect them to last?

As someone getting ready to swap out my 15+ yo water heater soon, if you have not drained or done any recent maintenance, I would recommend not starting now. I was emphatically told not to drain mine (it was here when we bought the house and they did zero maintenance), or really do anything to it until I replace it because that could cause immediate failure.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
As someone getting ready to swap out my 15+ yo water heater soon, if you have not drained or done any recent maintenance, I would recommend not starting now. I was emphatically told not to drain mine (it was here when we bought the house and they did zero maintenance), or really do anything to it until I replace it because that could cause immediate failure.

Exactly, don’t start now. I did that and it started leaking after that and had to replace it.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Exactly, don’t start now. I did that and it started leaking after that and had to replace it.

I've never drained one. Started to in my first house and it was a mess and nothing much came out. Since then I've never done anything other than light a pilot light (back when they all had those) and other than the one in Florida I've never changed one in almost 40 years of home ownership (multiple houses). And the only reason I changed the one in FL is because they track how old they are and pretty much insist you change them out after 15 years.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Don't do a tankless. They have a shorter lifespan, need annual maintenance, and most importantly, they require a large amount of flow to generate heat.

That last point means if you wan't just a little hot water, ie lukewarm to wash hands, it is darn near impossible.

Financially they never make their extra cost up, as they typically need replaced before they recoup their initial cost.

I've also been told the components inside a tankless don't handle any type of hard water. So the lines inside could get holes in them and start leaking. Plumber recommenced a reverse osmosis system filtering the water before it hits the water heater.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Got some quotes and the best quote was from a local (Cedar Rapids) business that said they would replace one water heater for $970 and would knock $200 off the second water heater if I decided to replace both. This company uses A.0. Smith products (never heard of them to be honest). This included installation of the new water heaters and the removal and throw away of the old water heaters. Reasonable? The company was referred to me by a couple of different people who used them for geothermal heating/cooling systems.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Got some quotes and the best quote was from a local (Cedar Rapids) business that said they would replace one water heater for $970 and would knock $200 off the second water heater if I decided to replace both. This company uses A.0. Smith products (never heard of them to be honest). This included installation of the new water heaters and the removal and throw away of the old water heaters. Reasonable? The company was referred to me by a couple of different people who used them for geothermal heating/cooling systems.

AO Smith is a good brand. When I replaced mine that is what they used. I think they are probably the ones actually making whatever brand you'll find at Home Depot or Menards.

I'd say its reasonable; 7-8 years ago when I replaced mine it was roughly the same $.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I've also been told the components inside a tankless don't handle any type of hard water. So the lines inside could get holes in them and start leaking. Plumber recommenced a reverse osmosis system filtering the water before it hits the water heater.

I will be replacing mine likely over the winter and I'm on well water. After talking to a few of my neighbors who have tankless systems on well water and discussing it with a couple different companies, I don't have any major concerns over it. I have a particle filter and water softener, which would be in front of it. Both companies recommended cleaning every 6-8 months, which is about $120.

If I had a lot of room in my utility area, I would probably just go with a traditional tank, but it's currently impossible to reasonably work in there because the 50gal tank takes too much space. I already have venting set up, so I can use the existing set up.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I was quoted $1,700 for one 40 gallon rheam. I think one reason it was so much was because it has a "power vent".

Help Support Us

Become a patron