The infamous holding call

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
You converted what successfully? The ball bounced off the WR and our DB due to early contact.

Nothing says that he (WR) makes the catch w/o the penalty.

I need more info to understand the argument.

How does whether our receiver catches the ball matter one bit?

HawkInCO

Sep 15, 2019
The success rate of 4th and 13 is like 16% and we converted our first chance successfully.

What did you mean when you said “we converted our first chance successfully”?

That statement does not make sense to me.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
The success rate of 4th and 13 is like 16% and we converted our first chance successfully.

What did you mean when you said “we converted our first chance successfully”?

That statement does not make sense to me.

In a normal football game, we get a first down.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Nobody is saying it did, as it clearly didn't. We're saying we've never seen intentional grounding called when a QB is out of the pocket and is hit mid throwing motion while trying to throw it out.

Of course you haven't. uofi isn't used to having game called correctly against them.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Do Iowa students have to enter a lottery to get basketball tickets?

Oh wait, that's right, they actually demand that Barta up the ante on freebies to get them to come to the games, I forgot.

One year it's a free slice of pizza. Then the next year it takes a free slice of pizza AND nachos to get them to come. Pretty soon it will be a steak dinner served to you at your seat.

Wife’s nephew goes to Iowa. He can get two season tickets for football last year. Want him to bring a buddy. Sounded like this year he could get his and two additional season tickets. Not selling out.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Can't make this stuff up.
So great, we’re now all in agreement we all misunderstood the play or rule, but per the rule agree that the call on the field, inconsequential as it was, was indeed correct.

Emphasis on the inconsequential part.

HawkInCO

Sep 15, 2019
I'm sure that's what you came here for, you worthless ****

I came to understand your perspective. I get it now. You, personally, are a bad representative of ISU.

I am far from worthless. I hope you find value in our own life, work, and all things not related to a game which is played by young adults who are provided a scholarship.

Again, good luck the rest of the way.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I came to understand your perspective. I get it now. You, personally, are a bad representative of ISU.

I am far from worthless. I hope you find value in our own life, work, and all things not related to a game which is played by young adults who are provided a scholarship.

Again, good luck the rest of the way.

This is the first time this one has joined. Lol

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Not offended. We, and referees, should strive to be correct. You got two fourth downs and zero receptions.

The only calls I have an issue with were the helmet to helmet, and the allowing an injured player to return before a play is ran. Reason being is the officials cannot get objective things correct.......then how do we expect them to be unbiased on subjective things? The helmet to helmet is something I have been harping on because it was put there to prevent defenders from leading with the helmet regardless of what the offensive player is doing. And like I said in previous posts, after reviewing they have the option of waving it off. They didn't of course even throw a flag to take a look. Why have the rule? Holding and PI are bang-bang subjective calls.....although the take down by #65 is priceless. How he got away with that for almost ten yards is well....wow. But penalties like that can be called almost every play. But not helmet to helmet. And they blew it, hence anything else they did/did not do in that game becomes fair play. You can't be half ignorant. And if those officials were the best the Big Ten has......the conference has a problem.

HawkInCO

Sep 15, 2019
So just to be clear if they don't call the phantom holding call on that 4th down ISU would have gotten the first down and been in position to run down the clock and kick the game winner correct?

Again, I offered my thoughts, but I can reiterate. 1) I cannot tell if the ISU player who goes to the ground along with the IOWA player is grasping the IOWA player or not. This could be a true hold or it may be due to the DL being taken to the ground. I have watched both angles and cannot tell. 2) Yes, if the holding hadn’t happened, ISU could have run down the clock or they may have fumbled. That is not an unreasonable assumption given the prior results. 3) What are the chances that the kicker makes it?

If you run through all of these variables, the likelihood of the result that you desire continues to decrease. I don’t live in a world of hypotheticals. None happened. What did happen is ISU got a re-do on 4th down and your QB threw it to an IOWA player. IOWA then relinquished possession and ISU fumbled.

The refs did not cost you this game. Go win your next one and find peace with reality.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
The only calls I have an issue with were the helmet to helmet, and the allowing an injured player to return before a play is ran. Reason being is the officials cannot get objective things correct.......then how do we expect them to be unbiased on subjective things? The helmet to helmet is something I have been harping on because it was put there to prevent defenders from leading with the helmet regardless of what the offensive player is doing. And like I said in previous posts, after reviewing they have the option of waving it off. They didn't of course even throw a flag to take a look. Why have the rule? Holding and PI are bang-bang subjective calls.....although the take down by #65 is priceless. How he got away with that for almost ten yards is well....wow. But penalties like that can be called almost every play. But not helmet to helmet. And they blew it, hence anything else they did/did not do in that game becomes fair play. You can't be half ignorant. And if those officials were the best the Big Ten has......the conference has a problem.
The hit wasn't on a defenseless player. The rule clearly states that just because there is helmet to helmet contact doesn't make it an automatic penalty. Also, I'm pretty sure that if a player is injured and the opposing team calls a timeout, there is no requirement to sit out a play. If the injured player's team calls a timeout, they are still required to sit out one play.

CyAtlanta

Jan 23, 2017
Jesus, CyTwins……...Your act is getting old. There was a questionable holding penalty at an inopportune time. It was hardly "infamous". There were numerous chances for the Cyclones to win this game by doing something that was in their own control. Instead, you will pick one item, declare it the Gospel and talk about it for the next 12 months. Last year it was the cancellation game, the year before it was Iowa's Superbowl, this year it's a holding call.

Can't we just discuss what the Cyclones can do to win this game and get rid of this constant drivel.