Natural Grass vs Artificial/Field Turf

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
sorry no. was it really humid? i am kind of lumping the last 2 years together. last year was extremely odd weather. i thought this year would be different a few weeks ago but it continues to be weird.

Yeah. That is probably the hottest game I've attended inside the Jack and I've been a season ticket holder for 15 years.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
sorry no. was it really humid? i am kind of lumping the last 2 years together. last year was extremely odd weather. i thought this year would be different a few weeks ago but it continues to be weird.

Yes. It was the worst game I’ve ever been to.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Gibbon

Aug 20, 2013
Ames
As great a job the field crew does with the grass, there still is definitely traction issues even when it's just dew at night. The playing surface shouldn't be sacred, as a fan of football I'd like to see artificial turf so we can see high level football instead of "who can slip and fall the least".

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Yes, this season---grass looked awesome during media day. Will be a travesty later in the season

Not sure how you can discount Brock slipping after the hiked ball in a crucial part of the 4th quarter.. or Iowa getting 1st downs late running--when our defense had their RB's caught for no-gain, until our defenders slipped.

Not sure how this field is 'awesome' in November/Dec. All you have to do is re-watch the Drake game. (see that amazing grass field below)

With two wet games in a row in September (an an idiotic bye-week Sept 6 while it was 80 degrees and sunny) , adds to this disaster

Kene Nwangwu vs DRAKE?. He had 2-3 returns he could of taken to the house for a TD. Yet he slipped on our amazing turf after his first cut upfield.

D5H_3536-1200x675.jpg
You seem to be under the assumption that field turf doesn't get slippery in rain or snow.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
From what I understand we are way overdo for a complete overhaul of the field. Last year the Field manager said the drainage was getting pretty fouled and not working well anymore, and it was not up to par with today's technology. That we need to redo the subsurface and drainage, reseed etc. I believe we just did a general yearly repair this year, as I didn't see any other mention of a more major overhaul including the subsurface.

This exact same topic was argued over last year. I think a couple things, after 2 years now of having problems, I hope and think in the off season we do a major overhaul of the field.

This i can see going 1 of 2 ways, upgrading the subsurface and drainage and irrigation systems to bring it to today's technology. And upgrade the playing surface to a combination of natural grass with a synthetic weave that many athletic arenas are going to. This gives the best of both worlds.
Or we do a complete overhaul and switch to a modern field turf system.

The thing you all have to realize Both natural grass and Turf systems have to be replaced and overhauled, both have an average life of about 8-10 years, depending on conditions and other issues. So using that as an excuse for one or the other doesn't really matter.

Regardless, something is overdue to be done with our field, this has been discussed in depth many times, and we are well overdue for it. Something will be done in the next couple years I'm sure of it, probably sooner than later. What they do is up for debate, but our climate is definitely not the best for a standard grass field, especially as the season has gotten longer.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Personally i dont really care which way we go. Whatever Campbell wants, Campbell should get.

I do think the whole "We have award winning turf" thing is massively overblown though. Big deal, we won a contest that a large chunk of universities aren't even trying to compete in because they already went artificial.

I think something needs to be done, whether artificial turf or a full rebuild of the natural playing surface.

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
I've been on the new field turf in the uni dome and if you ask me it's to slick. They used to put wrestling mats right on the old turf. When they put the mats down on the new stuff the just slid and came apart. Was a disaster and it's why USA Preseason Nationals is now in Des Moines. I couldn't imagine it getting a little moisture on it what it would be like

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Sorry .... turf management lovers

~ It's time to REPLACE our grass field.

~ Looks dull on TV
~ It doesn't hold up with the elements in September.
~ Grass goes dormant, in October, and looks terrible in November
~ Purdy slipped late in the game on a rollout in the backfield---stopping a drive in Iowa territory
~ Iowa running backs would of been stopped for no gain, or short yardage several times in the 4th qtr--yet turned them into 12-14 yard gains while our linebackers/dbacks were slipping all over (watch the replay)
~ This week calls for more RAIN from Tuesday-Saturday in Ames, and another crappy field for Louisiana-Monroe

When is this bizarre love-affair with grass going to end ? Good gawd. Why our we concerned with offending our Turf Management department?

Look at other stadiums---in November--at NIGHT. Their fields look fantastic in person w/ FieldTurf, and fantastic on TV.

Discuss.....

Your rational falls apart pretty fast when it’s only our players slipping and the opponents do not. Next...

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Artificial surface is dangerous for the players.

I don’t buy the climate argument when grass is good enough for Chiefs, Packers, and Bears
If you say this you don't know the systems and tech and money they have to maintain that natural surface. You can't compare our surface to a pro surface. Do a little research to what those fields have to keep them going.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Personally i dont really care which way we go. Whatever Campbell wants, Campbell should get.

I do think the whole "We have award winning turf" thing is massively overblown though. Big deal, we won a contest that a large chunk of universities aren't even trying to compete in because they already went artificial.

I think something needs to be done, whether artificial turf or a full rebuild of the natural playing surface.

Yep. I don't give a ****. Just give the coach what he wants/needs.

I will say that I suspect that last year was an unusual year. But hell we just had the 7th and 8th game delays in football history on Saturday, so maybe not.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Artificial surface is dangerous for the players.

I don’t buy the climate argument when grass is good enough for Chiefs, Packers, and Bears

Their grass must be better than ours to put up with 10 home games plus any college games they have.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I love the natural grass, but I think if we're gonna stick with it then we need a heating system and grow lights to be optimal at the tail end of the season. Probably hard to justify that cost so turf may be the logical financial choice.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Their grass must be better than ours to put up with 10 home games plus any college games they have.
It is......Seriously, don't make bonehead statements like this if you don't know. Do a simple google search on the Packer's field and what it has and what it takes to maintain it.
Iowa State will never have that.
Come on, they use everything from state of the art drainage and irrigation, to below ground and above ground heaters, to running grow lights during the week, plus adding synthetic weave into the field to make it a hybrid between natural and turf. They cover the entire surface with a tarp and blow air into it to keep water and snow off it.
The millions of dollars they have to spend on those fields will never be available for field maintenance at ISU.

Whether we go to turf or stay with grass, you can't compare our field to the pros and trying to just makes you sound ignorant.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I thought that last time we did do a major field renovation - including drainage and new pumps and pump houses - they looked into field turf and found that grass maintenance vs. new field turf installation every 8 years (plus some minimal maintenance on field turf) the cost differences were negligible.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

LowOverhead

Jun 15, 2015
Was SE Iowa
The discussion is a bit moot. If Campbell wants the field synthetic, he’ll get it. At one time “Field Turf” was one of the top selling brands. It’s probably just carpet made in Dalton.

I don’t know how the players tolerate the heat. I think Penn State put a synthetic area next to natural grass area next to black asphalt and the synthetic was the hottest. If I remember correctly, the angular rubber fills was hotter, reflects more or whatever. At one time white or green infill was available to reduce the heat. Misting with water helps, but is short lived.

Part of the life expectancy outdoors is keeping the synthetic blades groomed and upright, lying flat sunlight degrades the fibers. Keeping the fill “aerated” reduces compaction and keeps it at the best depth. The ISU natural grass folks probably already take care of the synthetic.

For your reading pleasure, some old studies:
https://plantscience.psu.edu/research/centers/ssrc/research/synthetic-turf-research-penn-state

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

Help Support Us

Become a patron