Gary Barta everybody

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
This is just the wrong way to handle it if something really did happen. A press release should never of happened. Call Jamie and work together to try and get to the bottom of it. The way the press release was worded, lacking detail, it just sets up as an open forum of hearsay and piling on. Can't the U of I just take the win and go home? Now they have to try and publicly shame us? Barta is the general who can see that he won the battle but is going to lose the war.

Forever True!

Same thing they did after the basketball game last year. Or when their own fan stole **** from their locker room.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Calling someone the n word isn’t just “name calling.” Not saying that did or didn’t happened, but if it did, that is much worse than throwing things.

Really? Worse than throwing batteries at someone and injuring them? I would think a person would get over being slurred sooner than a C or D cell to the head. Everyone has their own choice on what is worst I guess.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: VeloClone and flycy

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
A couple thoughts:
1. Will we find out in a few weeks it was actually Iowa fans doing this? (ala the lockerroom thefts) lol
2. Would be a great time for JP to issue a random "info graphic" of athletics facts from the last five years and have a space for "lawsuits settled" and "title Ix complaints against AD" that have nothing as a little rub

Serious though, hope nothing that may have been said was discriminatory. I also imagine if someone in the band complained to Barta's office, given his sh*tshow of late, if he didn't make a statement someone in the band ranks would rake him over the coals.

I.e. Barta is a complete tool

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Hey Barta, pot meet kettle. Don't most of the B10 think Iowa's fans are some of the worst? I'm sure that has been addressed right?

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby and Acylum

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'm from Iowa, most Iowa players didn't know that Iowa State was even a school before they got here, and ISU players with Iowa would have given them a scholly. Hence the one-sided rivalry.
Middle school, right? You can't possibly be older than that.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Someone in the reddit thread said they have a friend in the Iowa band and that multiple fans directed racial slurs at a black trumpet player. Yikes if that’s true.
If it's true there needs to be serious repercussions.

We all know how stories can evolve though too.

• Agree
Reactions: mitchforcy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I went to three road games at Kinnick in a band uniform.

I guarantee I got called or heard one of us called a certain six-letter F-word at each of them. Not quite the N-bomb discussed above, but about as close as you can get.

I am glad fan hooliganism and that kind of conduct is slowly being wrung out of the sport, but stuff like that was par for the course from Iowa fans when I wore the uniform.

Trying to make some sort of hay for yourself over it is ridiculous and hypocritical.

I never got a press release or an investigation.

So critical observer thinks it’s funny to call someone a gay slur? Classy Iowa fans, classy.

• Funny
Reactions: criticalobserver

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I'm from Iowa, most Iowa players didn't know that Iowa State was even a school before they got here, and ISU players with Iowa would have given them a scholly. Hence the one-sided rivalry.

This explains Fran's recruiting.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I was in the ISUCF’V’MB in the 90’s. My last trip to Kinnick featured a pig’s head, full beer bottle, oranges, batteries and other objects thrown at us. We were always told not to go anywhere away from the group while wearing the uniform as you would be targeted.

Maybe the fans were trying to injure, maybe they were just being jerks. Ultimately, if true, there’s no place for yelling slurs. It is just a game. If the loss has you so far bent out of shape that you need to yell slurs...it is past time for you to re-evaluate your life choices and priorities.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
If it's true there needs to be serious repercussions.

We all know how stories can evolve though too.

For sure...if they know who did it..which likely would be impossible to know.....so unfortunatly about all ISU can do is issue a generic statement of apology and reminder to fans about sportsmanship/condoning hate speech (which should never have to be reminded, but you know, @ssholes and alcohol and stuff make people extra stupid)

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I’d say groping female members is a notch higher. That’s physical

I am in no way saying it’s not true and I am in no way saying if it is true that is horrible. But if this is the accusation how is it proved without video. Audio won’t help. Would beed to show the person(s) doing it and if they’re in isu gear. Maybe there is evidence. And if there definite action needs taken. If there isn’t not sure what can be done.

EDIT: this was intended to be in reply to the post saying it was racial slurs.

• Friendly
Reactions: BCClone