Pollard: big announcement coming soon

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
Is there any concern with flooding? I thought that was why the whole area was a parking lot in the first place.

Where the parking lots are is about the only place they can build. I'm not sure I'm using the right terminology but that is a flood plain and across University is a flood way. You can park on either but only build on the flood plain (which admittedly doesn't sound great). As Jamie put it, we are parking on our beach (and he didn't mean the avenue) front property

I think people aren't understanding how much of the current parking is moving to another place. It is a lot more than just the RV lot. Almost everything between Center Drive and S. 4th along University is multistory buildings (movie theater, restaurants, etc) with a pedestrian mall type thing in the middle that I think doubles as an ice rink in the winter. The Hotel over by Scheman also takes quite a bit of space. My reaction when I saw it was that I was surprised you could fit it all in the available space.

All of this is really early in the planning and they are hiring a firm to do some feasibility studies. The whole thing is about generating revenue. Jamie gave the Packers as an example of how they have changed Lambeau to be a year round thing and not just generating revenue a handful of days a year.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
I think people aren't understanding how much of the current parking is moving to another place. It is a lot more than just the RV lot. Almost everything between Center Drive and S. 4th along University is multistory buildings (movie theater, restaurants, etc) with a pedestrian mall type thing in the middle that I think doubles as an ice rink in the winter. The Hotel over by Scheman also takes quite a bit of space. My reaction when I saw it was that I was surprised you could fit it all in the available space.

2025 NHL Winter Classic?

• Informative
Reactions: skibumspe

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Sounds like a risky but interesting idea. You can still have the tailgating tradition, but also have something that makes hanging out for some a little more convenient. Especially if it’s ******* cold.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Where the parking lots are is about the only place they can build. I'm not sure I'm using the right terminology but that is a flood plain and across University is a flood way. You can park on either but only build on the flood plain (which admittedly doesn't sound great). As Jamie put it, we are parking on our beach (and he didn't mean the avenue) front property

All of this is really early in the planning and they are hiring a firm to do some feasibility studies. The whole thing is about generating revenue. Jamie gave the Packers as an example of how they have changed Lambeau to be a year round thing and not just generating revenue a handful of days a year.
You know I think this is an awesome idea.......IF we could move all that parking to the intramural fields, because that is what it would take. That really is the only place that is close and big enough to move the entire area of parking to.
But with the complete renovation of those fields etc there I just don't see that happening. That would be really awesome I just dont know where we are going to put all those spots, with that close of location, with that tailgating tradition.
Still could be really cool. I am really interested to see the entire plan, and I am sure they have something to make it work.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
From the Directors meeting -- Scheman, Stephens and Fisher will all be apart of the Athletics Department buildings. On campus hotel in parking lots between JT and Hilton along with restaurants and shopping area, similar to P&L District. Bridge over University coming very soon that will lead to RV lots. Scheman lot to the North will now be a dedicated basketball lot. Along with a skywalk leading from Scheman to Hilton to avoid the cold in the winter. Hope this was new info and not a bunch of retread that has already been posted.

I knew that weeks ago already from a few people that work at Scheman. JP went to the President to tell her he wanted to manage Scheman,Stephens and Fisher. Sounds like he did a Barta Fran type of deal. We need more parking the way it is now.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I knew that weeks ago already from a few people that work at Scheman. JP went to the President to tell her he wanted to manage Scheman,Stephens and Fisher. Sounds like he did a Barta Fran type of deal. We need more parking the way it is now.

ISU currently uses a third party to manage those spaces and technically the contract is up fall of 2020. It was a financial advantage to have athletics manage them. It wasn’t strictly a case of JP demanding this. It’s been on the radar since the last contract was issued.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
From the Directors meeting -- Scheman, Stephens and Fisher will all be apart of the Athletics Department buildings. On campus hotel in parking lots between JT and Hilton along with restaurants and shopping area, similar to P&L District. Bridge over University coming very soon that will lead to RV lots. Scheman lot to the North will now be a dedicated basketball lot. Along with a skywalk leading from Scheman to Hilton to avoid the cold in the winter. Hope this was new info and not a bunch of retread that has already been posted.

Don't know about the rest of you but I think the bold is not getting enough attention. I've dreamed of having something like that near Hilton. Cannot wait to see what they come up with.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Don't know about the rest of you but I think the bold is not getting enough attention. I've dreamed of having something like that near Hilton. Cannot wait to see what they come up with.
Agreed. It would look awesome with the new fan village leading into the stadium. It's smart that it will dual as an ice rink in the winter since I don't think a P&L type set up would get any traffic in the winter but an ice rink definitely will. A lot has to go right for this whole project to happen such as Big 12 Grant of Rights expiration, raising capital, zoning (may not be an issue at all) but if they can pull this off, it's an absolute game changer for Iowa State and really all of central Iowa.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Hmm wonder what this P&L like idea means for the future on alcohol sales.
I personally don't think it means anything. I think it is a way to cash in on the drinking fans like to do before, during, and after the game. I think Pollard understands the number of people who stay out and drink during games and those who go to bars.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytown12

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Is it possible the hotel on campus partners with Iowa State's Hotel/Hospitality Management major/program like the Kirkwood Hotel?

Reactions: aauummm

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Agreed. It would look awesome with the new fan village leading into the stadium. It's smart that it will dual as an ice rink in the winter since I don't think a P&L type set up would get any traffic in the winter but an ice rink definitely will. A lot has to go right for this whole project to happen such as Big 12 Grant of Rights expiration, raising capital, zoning (may not be an issue at all) but if they can pull this off, it's an absolute game changer for Iowa State and really all of central Iowa.

People don’t go to bars and restaurants in the winter? News to me.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytown12

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Should have rephrased that. The outdoor beer garden at the P&L wouldn't do well in the winter but converting it to a ice rink would.

Makes sense to me. I think the area would be wildly popular during winter sporting events.

Edit: and by area I mean bars and restaurants, not the outdoor area.

• Agree
Reactions: CysRage

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Is it possible the hotel on campus partners with Iowa State's Hotel/Hospitality Management major/program like the Kirkwood Hotel?
That is an awesome idea. The Hotel at Kirkwood Center is top notch. Better service than most Hilton and Marriotts.
Fun fact: the Iowa football team stayed there the night before my wedding reception at The Hotel at Kirkwood Center. We honestly didn't know the team stayed there but a lot of my family wore ISU causal stuff after our rehearsal. The team couldn't believe how many ISU fans were there.

Last edited:

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
There are other stadiums out there with just as small or smaller press boxes, West Virginia for one.

And they all look small-time and dorky as hell, like ours. JTS will never be a big-boy stadium until it puts up a beast of a press box. It needs to extend goal line to goal line, it doesn't have to be as tall as the current one.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
And they all look small-time and dorky as hell, like ours. JTS will never be a big-boy stadium until it puts up a beast of a press box. It needs to extend goal line to goal line, it doesn't have to be as tall as the current one.
What does a bigger press box accomplish besides looks? You're not the first person to suggest this in this thread.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron