Gary Barta everybody

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Iowa fans groped a few of the young women in the marching band in the 2008 or 2010 range. I had a pretty full beer poured on me in 2010 while in uniform, as well.

That is even before you get to the verbal taunts and threats.

• Informative
Reactions: CyBobby and NWICY

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I do appreciate the irony of you stating this in a thread full of people complaining about a tweet and threatening to boycott that company.
I appreciate the irony of a hawk posting on a cyclone message board and pretending he’s not really a cyclone fan. Or at least in his heart he knows ISU is superior toe is every way (minus the empty look at me hand having gestures) and thats exactly why he spends time on cf and not HN or the like....

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Time to get all past and present ISU band members on here to tell their stories of how they've been treated over the years in, and around Kinnick.

I'll add to the chorus of former band members confirming that Iowa fans are horrific to the band over there. **** iowa.

• Informative

Mantis Tobogan

Sep 8, 2019
Agreed however if true it was likely one person who said this and could've been handled internally with ISU rather than release a vague press release meant to cause harm to Iowa State when it was one individual (not a fan base).
Agreed. I wouldn’t be completely surprised if the person who reported the issue is part of some protected class which caused Barta to go a little overboard with the public statement given the whole discrimination thing in the past.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I’d be surprised if this happened. I can’t imagine any Iowa or ISU fan ever doing this in this day and age but when you’re in you’re in a stadium full of fellow fans and alcohol is introduced people do crazy stuff.

It wouldn’t surprise me. I don’t think I ever heard it when I was at a sporting event at ISU but still.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and JP4CY

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019
IMO, throwing things is a lot worse than any namecalling.... obviously neither is acceptable at all, but JP could have sent a letter to Barta after nearly every time ISU has played at Kinnick too.

Calling someone the n word isn’t just “name calling.” Not saying that did or didn’t happened, but if it did, that is much worse than throwing things.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
There is now an article on ESPN about it. Has no new information in it.

So Barta has already accomplished his goal and has won in this matter.

It's now in the national media making ISU look bad.... so now it doesn't even matter if it's true or not.

Maybe JP should come out and tell the national media about how ISU's band and fans get treated at Kinnick every other year? Oh wait.... he's better than that.

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
So, allegedly, an ISU fan was yelling the N word at the 99.9% white Iowa marching band?

Seems odd, but if it’s been stated on the HN forums then it must be true....

• Informative
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
If you don't like the way they are treated leave your ******* band at home. ISU fans don't want to hear them play non stop and be lippy. I love how Iowa fans can dish **** out but cannot take a little trash talk back. They are the sorest winners in the country.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
So Barta has already accomplished his goal and has won in this matter.

It's now in the national media making ISU look bad.... so now it doesn't even matter if it's true or not.

Maybe JP should come out and tell the national media about how ISU's band and fans get treated at Kinnick every other year? Oh wait.... he's better than that.
Didnt Barta put ISU's band in some of the worst seats in Kinnick last year?

• Agree

johnwayne

Sep 2, 2012
im trying to remember. kinnick stadium..3 or 4? years ago. Iowa lost to penn state on a last second touchdown. A hawkeye friend of mine was bragging about how the penn state players got booed and had beer dumped on them on the way out. Its cool when they do it i guess.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I have talked to the driver of the ISU Football Truck/Trailer from Decker Truckline in the past and he said he absolutely hates parking in Iowa City for the CyHawk game as it's the only place ISU plays at he has to stay with the truck overnight. Says Iowa fans will try to slash tires, piss on the truck, or do other things to it that he basically has to stay up all night with eyes on the side mirrors to keep the idiots from damaging the truck.

If Iowa is going public about this you better have a damn good story with some proof behind it because that's a pretty bold statement to make without providing any details yet of what happened.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
There is now an article on ESPN about it. Has no new information in it.
Eric Bush, director of the Hawkeye Marching Band, said the athletic department is taking the lead on the investigation, but declined to say what happened.

I never knew the Iowa athletic department cared so much about the band. This is classic Barta trying to take a stab at Iowa State in any means necessary. If what happened is anything like a few F bombs or less, I don't think it's a precedence that they want to set when ISU goes to Iowa City next year.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Didnt Barta put ISU's band in some of the worst seats in Kinnick last year?

Yes. Put them in the top 15 rows of the stadium in the corner. But JP puts Iowa's band in great seats.

Barta did the same thing to UNI's band last year too.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Quinn Douglas

@Quinn_Douglas_

Having a friend tell me that he did hear Iowa State fans yelling at the marching band and cheerleaders immediately after the game. Said in his area that a fight broke out but that didn’t involve the band.

Did this guy have his Iowa shirt on in the pressbox? Great reporting going by a friends story.

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
This is just what Iowa does, it never surprises. Try to make ISU bad in the national spotlight because they know a lot of their fan base won’t ever question them or pull the curtain back and see what’s going on.

I don’t even dislike Iowa but it’s just what they do cause they know nobody will call them out and the show will go on.

Rinse and repeat, and a lot of the fan base gets riled up.

They probably already have something planned for the basketball game at Hilton to try to make a mountain out of.

Literally nobody cares outside Iowa, but they’ll try like heck to make this a big story and everybody will yawn except Iowa media.

Their just isn’t a lot of accountability of the UofI athletic department.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby