Pollard: big announcement coming soon

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
Graduation. Move in day. Some basketball games. The Iowa Games. Concerts. University speakers.

It has potential, but it better have a Jim Walden Memorial Hot Tub in there

I miss the Union Hotel. It wasn't anything special, but waking up to the sounds of the campanile was awesome. I think it was too small to really make any sort of money when you take into consideration paying the staff to run it, but it was great for alumni. You definitely had to book a year in advance or get your name on the waiting list but it was worth it.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Yeah he has done some good things for sports that nobody actually even cares about. Most AD's don't do that. Like Cross Country.
Actually there are a few schools with dedicated cross country courses.Some have been additions in recent years. This is the list I have off the top of my head.
Wisconsin ('09)
Iowa State ('95)
Iowa ('03)
Oklahoma State ('19)
Arkansas ('96)
Texas A&M ('14)
Kansas
Virginia Tech ('93)
Purdue

Not a chance. AD does great on football, MBB and WBB but I think only really cares about men's cross country among the non-revenue sports. And maybe with our budget that needs to be the way but sad for me as I follow a number of the minor sports. Feels like volleyball is a little bit of a fading star compared to, say, five years ago. :(

Sure he cares highly about track and field/cross country. He was an All-American as UW-Oskosh. Don't make this narrative about his son being on the team.

Also, the cross country course was not built during Jaime's tenure. It has been around since 1995. https://cyclones.com/facilities/?id=6

liljones13

Mar 27, 2006
Springville, IA
From the Directors meeting -- Scheman, Stephens and Fisher will all be apart of the Athletics Department buildings. On campus hotel in parking lots between JT and Hilton along with restaurants and shopping area, similar to P&L District. Bridge over University coming very soon that will lead to RV lots. Scheman lot to the North will now be a dedicated basketball lot. Along with a skywalk leading from Scheman to Hilton to avoid the cold in the winter. Hope this was new info and not a bunch of retread that has already been posted.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
From the Directors meeting -- Scheman, Stephens and Fisher will all be apart of the Athletics Department buildings. On campus hotel in parking lots between JT and Hilton along with restaurants and shopping area, similar to P&L District. Bridge over University coming very soon that will lead to RV lots. Scheman lot to the North will now be a dedicated basketball lot. Along with a skywalk leading from Scheman to Hilton to avoid the cold in the winter. Hope this was new info and not a bunch of retread that has already been posted.
Whoooweeee!

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I honestly can't see how this would be a good move.

liljones13

Mar 27, 2006
Springville, IA
As someone from Cedar Rapids who travels to and from for every football and basketball game, I think it's great to have an on campus hotel option so if I want to have a few pops after a big win I can and know that I have an on campus option to crash for the night. It will be a cash cow for any lucky restaurant to get in that spot as well. With all of the additional parking going in the intramural lots east of the stadium along with the addition of the bridge over University, I think this will be great addition in the next 2-5 years.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
As someone from Cedar Rapids who travels to and from for every football and basketball game, I think it's great to have an on campus hotel option so if I want to have a few pops after a big win I can and know that I have an on campus option to crash for the night. It will be a cash cow for any lucky restaurant to get in that spot as well. With all of the additional parking going in the intramural lots east of the stadium along with the addition of the bridge over University, I think this will be great addition in the next 2-5 years.

It would probably work during basketball season. However, guessing during football games that hotel will be booked for the whole weekend.

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
It would probably work during basketball season. However, guessing during football games that hotel will be booked for the whole weekend.

This was always the case for the hotel the MU. You had to call a year in advance or get on the waiting list early for once they opened the reservations. But it worked out if you planned ahead.

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL

Yeah I'd trade all that plus a future draft pick for a new press box.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I honestly can't see how this would be a good move.

You wouldn't get rid of all the parking. Just the current RV spots.

This would be a unique thing that ends generating a **** load of revenue. Will definitely add to the big time feel of the area. I love it, personally.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
You wouldn't get rid of all the parking. Just the current RV spots.

This would be a unique thing that ends generating a **** load of revenue. Will definitely add to the big time feel of the area. I love it, personally.
So the hotel will sit where the RV lots are now?

Lineup

Jan 7, 2017
so where in the f**k will football game day parking be

• Agree
Reactions: Cytown12