Pollard: big announcement coming soon

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
So the G lots would be for donors only?
That seems like a mistake to tell the general public to take a hike and find somewhere else (not near the stadium) to tailgate. Part of what makes ISU tailgating great is the ease of parking in relation to the stadium for anybody.

I can't see that happening. That would be a completely against the grain decision compared to JP's well documented family approach. I could see Iowa State maybe paving G7 and maybe the rumor mill is confused.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, I dont believe they will make all the G lots donor parking. They wouldn't be able to sell them out and a bunch of that ground would be sitting empty.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
A game day plaza - like a smaller Power and Light (seems like a stretch to me)

Like I said rumors only.
That would be great, but to do it well and effectively, will cost a ton imo. That plaza would need to be right by the stadium imo and integrated in to the NEZ/performance center stuff. At the cost you’d hope to have it directly add value to JTS. Something like shared infrastructure with a facade for the east/north part of JTS, the non-stadium half being open/used more than on home games.

I’ve been to some smaller college campuses in which part of the stadium infrastructure were multi-use with offices, classrooms, even some student housing. Presumably those leased uses could extend to entities like restaurants. Professional stadiums have been doing this for two decades, but rarely as stand-alone concepts.

I’m all for getting creative in how to upgrade JTS while also adding the chance for revenue, even if that revenue is delayed. You think about how much a university like ISU spends on new infrastructure each year, and it has always seemed like a missed opportunity to not hit two needs at once. In fact, if you look at many older stadiums, that’s how they got built, multiple purpose use largely paid by the university. I guess red tape is prohibitive now for the university and the athletic department to work so closely together.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aauummm

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I don't think there is anything in the BoR agenda for this, not from what I saw at least. It would probably be public by now anyway if there was.

Just looked and you are right. Kind of interesting considering the supposed timing of the announcement and the meeting. That being said is the agenda final?

Looks like Dr. Warme is buying a bunch of land from the University.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Yeah, I dont believe they will make all the G lots donor parking. They wouldn't be able to sell them out and a bunch of that ground would be sitting empty.
Right, unless there are too many donors without equal or better parking, why change that? The utilization is high, right? In effort to get more revenue, wouldn’t it be more effective to increase the spot price so that donating is more appealing.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Regardless of what transpires, the future looks pretty amazing. We are all fortunate to be around during this Cyclone Renaissance. Being unimaginative and lazy like former athletic directors Lou McCulllough and Max Urick gave us coaches like Jim Criner and Jim Walden. And they in turn gave us the twenty years known as the Dark Ages. Even Dan McCarney, Cheezdic and Paul Rhodes couldn't turn things around until Campbell got here. Thank God for Jamie Pollard!

Last edited:

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Just looked and you are right. Kind of interesting considering the supposed timing of the announcement and the meeting. That being said is the agenda final?

Looks like Dr. Warme is buying a bunch of land from the University.

I saw that too. It's a bunch of acreage around where his house is up off Stagecoach.

As for the announcement, I would think if this ISC thing is the real deal, they will announce the plans first for fundraising purposes and go in front of the BOR later this year or early 2020. We'll see.

Reactions: wxman1

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I can't see that happening. That would be a completely against the grain decision compared to JP's well documented family approach. I could see Iowa State maybe paving G7 and maybe the rumor mill is confused.
Other than G7 being a mess after the game Saturday, my wife and I love tailgating there because there is so much more room between cars as opposed to parking in the paved lots. We park and tailgate in G7 even though we could park in the Hilton lots.

But I figure there will be no parking in the grass on Saturday.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I saw that too. It's a bunch of acreage around where his house is up off Stagecoach.

As for the announcement, I would think if this ISC thing is the real deal, they will announce the plans first for fundraising purposes and go in front of the BOR later this year or early 2020. We'll see.
It's a 10-15 year plan so I'm guessing fundraising for it at this time isn't a huge deal.

Kind of like the Facilities Master Plan that I think came out right after Jamie got here. Just a vision and a "here's what we're kinda thinking" type thing...not a "this is what we're going to be doing next year" type thing.

Heck, it'd be interesting to compare the Facilities Master Plan to what actually happened. The basketball facility certainly didn't happen on Hilton.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Especially if they stayed with the one parking pass per season ticket account...

CyAg

May 22, 2006
All sounds conceptual but on a 10 year plan, and most of the last one happened to some extent. A hotel/revised Scheman, a plaza entertainment area either up there or somewhere between, many thousand paved parking spots east of University and a walkway over University. Would not suprise me if there are details this week.

• Agree
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

They do that with basketball, in a way. I got pushed across 4th street to JTS parking, despite lots of spots available on the north side of 4th where I parked for the previous 10 years...

I don't mind the extra 100 foot walk, but it was WAY easier exiting before.

I think JP does that just to nudge people up a donation level - either from 250 to 500, 100 to 250, or 0 to 100...

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
Is adding a hotel really necessary?

tailgate lots > hotel

I think a hotel would be a good add. It kind of sucks we have no on campus hotel really. I wish they had just kept the small one in the Union. As someone who travels back for a game or two a year, being able to stay closer than way out off 30 would be a benefit. It will obviously get a lot of use for the 6 or 7 Saturdays in the fall, along with the many home basketball games. It would also be good for families and such doing student visits.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Convention center and hotel near Scheman - with a parking ramp
Paved parking east of University with a walk over bridge to JTS
A game day plaza - like a smaller Power and Light (seems like a stretch to me)

Like I said rumors only.

This. Have heard the same "rumors." Wants it to be the premiere athletic complex for the fan base in the country. This will be a MAJOR change for parking/tailgating. Essentially everything moves to other locations.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
They do that with basketball, in a way. I got pushed across 4th street to JTS parking, despite lots of spots available on the north side of 4th where I parked for the previous 10 years...

I don't mind the extra 100 foot walk, but it was WAY easier exiting before.

I think JP does that just to nudge people up a donation level - either from 250 to 500, 100 to 250, or 0 to 100...
Basketball is different. Much smaller number of people and every single game is a sellout.

If you do that with the grass lots you would be asking fans to walk thousands of extra feet, not hundreds. It would be a great way to put a dent in single game and walk up sales. Just because we set record season ticket sales and sold out the first two games doesn't mean we don't still need to work to get fans in the building. I've been a season ticket holder for 18 years now. Once the month of November rolls around there is a noticeable dent in attendance.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I think a hotel would be a good add. It kind of sucks we have no on campus hotel really. I wish they had just kept the small one in the Union. As someone who travels back for a game or two a year, being able to stay closer than way out off 30 would be a benefit. It will obviously get a lot of use for the 6 or 7 Saturdays in the fall, along with the many home basketball games. It would also be good for families and such doing student visits.

Graduation. Move in day. Some basketball games. The Iowa Games. Concerts. University speakers.

It has potential, but it better have a Jim Walden Memorial Hot Tub in there