The infamous holding call

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I've never heard of that called before, but looking at it I think when two guys go in motion they both have to set for a second before one can be in motion during the snap. That never happened. Probably gets called only once in a blue moon when it happens.
https://www.teamspeedkills.com/2010/8/9/1613833/know-your-annoying-penalties

The hold was an egregiously bad call not only because it was not a hold at all but also because no holding had been called all game including the extremely obvious one on the Iowa 3rd and 22. Quite an easy way for an official to influence the score of a game without being noticed by anyone but the opposing fans. I always wonder if dirty gambling money is involved.

The not being set thing happens quite a bit - you just don't usually hear an explanation like that. You just see it called as illegal motion usually. If more than one guy move they are officially shifting, they ALL have to reset before one can go in motion again. The penalty was correct on ISU.

It's true to say there were plenty of mistakes by a losing team that they shouldn't have made to overcome bad calls, or not let it come to that. It's also true that sometimes egregious calls are made or missed that based on their impact and timing it's just not reasonable to say, "just overcome it."

Sometimes egregious missed calls change the outcome of games. It happens. The phantom holding call probably changed the outcome of the game. The bogus roughing the passer in the Bears game yesterday most certainly changed the outcome of that game. It happens. It sucks when it happens to your team, but there's nothing you can do about it. Hawk fans aren't going to admit it in this case, nor would I if the roles were reversed.

Time to move on and enjoy the rest of the season.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
That call was brutal and occurred at a very inopportune time. But I just can't blame this one call when we had soooooo many chances to take this game over, and despite not doing that still had several chances at the end to win this game. No one to blame but ourselves.

• Winner
Reactions: iahawks

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
That call was brutal and occurred at a very inopportune time. But I just can't blame this one call when we had soooooo many chances to take this game over, and despite not doing that still had several chances at the end to win this game. No one to blame but ourselves.

While I agree with this typically, if the bad call is not made, ISU essentially does all the same things are you going to say ISU didn't deserve to win because they made mistakes?

No team plays a clean game, ever. There are always things to point at and say they should've done better. It doesn't change the fact that at one single play very late in the game an egregious officiating mistake occurred on a play when the ISU offense did its job, and the swing was 1st and 10 in FG range vs. 4th and 13 outside of FG range. The swing was massive not only due to the impact and the timing. It most likely changed the outcome of the game.

But yes - lots of mistakes that need to be corrected. Thankfully Campbell always focuses on what the team can control, which is what you have to do.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Maybe the refs don't know what a real hold looks like. THIS is an actual holding penalty (that didn't get called).

That was NOT a hold. That was a bearhug, and under Big Ten rules, bearhugs are allowed. It's not the Hawks fault ISU cannot hold up to bada** Big Ten football play.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: Cytown12 and GTO

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
While I agree with this typically, if the bad call is not made, ISU essentially does all the same things are you going to say ISU didn't deserve to win because they made mistakes?

No team plays a clean game, ever. There are always things to point at and say they should've done better. It doesn't change the fact that at one single play very late in the game an egregious officiating mistake occurred on a play when the ISU offense did its job, and the swing was 1st and 10 in FG range vs. 4th and 13 outside of FG range. The swing was massive not only due to the impact and the timing. It most likely changed the outcome of the game.

But yes - lots of mistakes that need to be corrected. Thankfully Campbell always focuses on what the team can control, which is what you have to do.

But I can't look at one isolated event in the course of a 60 minute game and say it's a "reason we lost". There are literally probably a dozen plays you could say "if we had done that correctly, we would have won." Plus, saying we score there and win is pure conjecture anyway.

I get it, it sucks. But the officiating was good all game long, abut they blew one call at an unfortunate time. It's not why we lost.

• Winner
  • Disagree
Reactions: nickoff and iahawks

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That was NOT a hold. That was a bearhug, and under Big Ten rules, bearhugs are allowed. It's not the Hawks fault ISU cannot hold up to bada** Big Ten football play.

In the big ten hugs are encouraged, trying to have teams be less vile than by hugging it out.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
When I saw that, player ducked head to make it H2H, and then no flag, I said "I don't understand H2H rules".
Yeah. I thought anything helmet to helmet like that at least deserved a flag and a look. They can always pick it up and wave it off for Iowa like they did for Kansas State.

• Winner
Reactions: motorcy90

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
But I can't look at one isolated event in the course of a 60 minute game and say it's a "reason we lost". There are literally probably a dozen plays you could say "if we had done that correctly, we would have won." Plus, saying we score there and win is pure conjecture anyway.

I get it, it sucks. But the officiating was good all game long, abut they blew one call at an unfortunate time. It's not why we lost.

Far from good all day long. They let a lot of emphasis stuff go which would lead me to say it was a poor job overall. Not one sided, just poor.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Nothing that could even be conceived to be a hold there. Not sure how a ref could think there was something there. Mistakes and not putting more points on the board when we had the chance cost us as well though. Too bad kene has been dinged up I think it would have made a difference having him returning kicks.

He wasn't dinged up. He was our lead running back for the majority of the game.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
It probably wasn't holding there TBH, but I can see why it was called at the same time. It looked a lot worse until you see the replay. I wouldn't want to be a football official. Too many subjective rules that you have to make in split second.

Wasn't the first time a holding call was wrong and it won't be the last. I know it sucks when it happens. I still think about the phantom holding call against Iowa when they lost to NW in 2009.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Hey dex....the holding call does look questionable, but that's not the one I thought they just whiffed on. What did you think of the helmet to helmet that wasn't even flagged. I have seen players dq'd for less. Didn't know if I was missing something or that a defensive player leading with his helmet and hitting the offensive player on the crown of his helmet is no longer considered targeting.
I think the question there would be if he was defenseless at that point. Honestly I've seen that called in similar situations.....he broke a tackle prior to the hit so it could be argued both ways.

• Agree
Reactions: iahawks

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
Somebody edits there posts instead of proofreading
7a8yf7klvew21.gif

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I think the question there would be if he was defenseless at that point. Honestly I've seen that called in similar situations.....he broke a tackle prior to the hit so it could be argued both ways.

Going back to the Iowa State bowl game last year. We had a player called for targeting as a QB was running the ball. I don't think the player has to be defenseless anymore. All it looks at is if the defensive player led with the crown of his helmet.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I agree. But don't you think it deserved a flag and a look? It was helmet to helmet. Like I said, they could have always waved it off.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
As we saw this weekend in numerous college games and pros that refs make bad calls. It's now part of the game and you have to move forward. The game is getting away from refs with all the rules and complexity that has been added the last couple of years.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
As we saw this weekend in numerous college games and pros that refs make bad calls. It's now part of the game and you have to move forward. The game is getting away from refs with all the rules and complexity that has been added the last couple of years.

Yep, anytime there is a close game, you can take a look at a number of plays that could have gone either way from an officiating standpoint. The game is impossible to officiate correctly.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
That’s a cop out. That incorrect call undoubtedly had a major influence on the outcome of the game. The fact other things contributed doesn’t mean it doesn’t share blame.

Agree though, it takes a lot for us to lose to Iowa. Just like with the UNI game had Purdy not fortuitously recovered the fumble in the third OT, the bad “fumble” call wouldn’t have been the only reason we lost. But at least that was in the third. Bad calls with a few minutes left in the fourth are way more impactful.