Last game ISU played well

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I put zero weight into that drake game. Those conditions were horrific.
I agree to a certain degree, but I think it is emblematic of the coaching style to go conservative against a lesser opponent and in adverse conditions and a refusal to deviate from the plan when it is clear the gameplan isn't working.

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
6 straight games losing the turnover battle.

When the staff is making comments alluding to having a thin margin for error against UNI, I doubt we’ll ever see anything else but this. The objective is to create a thin margin, as though every team is OU. When we cannot, we’ll have the Ok ST type games, which leave us wondering why we insist on putting the game in the hands of awful special teams and constipated offense.
Campbell is clear these ”margin” games are the way it’s going to be.

• Informative
Reactions: Go2Guy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Maybe we aren’t really that good.

I think the talent is there for a Top-25ish type of season which is fun.

If they can figure how to have a chance vs. good teams in the end, shouldn't it be reasonable to assume they have the ability to distance themselves from teams that they have the advantage over?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I agree to a certain degree, but I think it is emblematic of the coaching style to go conservative against a lesser opponent and in adverse conditions and a refusal to deviate from the plan when it is clear the gameplan isn't working.

The Dake game was weird...if ISU simply sent one or two LBers on D they were right on Drake's QB and not letting the play even hardly happen. The plan should have been to just do that, take care of business, and don't let it get weird.

UNI was a little different just because of a drop here and there but still the choice to not just pick up a 4th and 1 and open it up to put them away is odd.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
When is the last time this team really put things together and played well? I would say going back to Texas last year this team has not played a game anywhere near their full potential and have a 3-3 record. There have been plenty of games like yesterday where they dominated in lots of areas but either lost or barely beat an inferior opponent. I hope they really put it to La Monroe. This team needs to remember what it's like to completely dominate a game.

The last time we played well was West Virginia last year. We have become very predictable from a run pass stand point since then at least from a formational stand point. You have been able to guess with about an 85-90% accuracy what we are going to do based on formation since Texas Tech last yr.

I know we rushed for 170 yards against Tech but they were bad last yr and we struggled more than I thought we would. And then I know we beat Kansas and Baylor but both of those teams out gained us on the ground and out averaged us on yards per carry.

That is why Texas looked so dominate. Sure they may have better athletes, but they actually watched film and realized how predictable we are.

Nothing has changed even with Manning back. We are still throwing darts at a board to call plays. And we have not been in an offensive flow in our last 9 games.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
This ULM game is going to be wayyyy to close for anyone's liking. We don't put teams away when we have really good opportunities to. I think the offensive playbook will be very vanilla again (like Akron last year), because they won't want to reveal too much before Big 12 play begins. The Rape-lor game is a game that scares the crap out of me, especially this early in the season. If we drop that I'm afraid a lot of people are going to be let down and have their expectations lowered.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
We played well in the Alamo bowl. WSU had a weird d that was throwing off the line and we lost two great players to targeting calls. That happens. They played well though.

Definitely agree here. I walked out of that game saying that it was the best all around football game by both teams I had watched in a long time. We got screwed over mainly by the officials and some iffy coaching decisions.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
ISU did play well last night. If you take out the 3rd down D and special teams that is.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
The last time we played well was West Virginia last year. We have become very predictable from a run pass stand point since then at least from a formational stand point. You have been able to guess with about an 85-90% accuracy what we are going to do based on formation since Texas Tech last yr.

I know we rushed for 170 yards against Tech but they were bad last yr and we struggled more than I thought we would. And then I know we beat Kansas and Baylor but both of those teams out gained us on the ground and out averaged us on yards per carry.

That is why Texas looked so dominate. Sure they may have better athletes, but they actually watched film and realized how predictable we are.

Nothing has changed even with Manning back. We are still throwing darts at a board to call plays. And we have not been in an offensive flow in our last 9 games.
You can’t say that Manning didn’t call a good game yesterday. We were gashing Iowa’s offense, the players just didn’t execute in key situations.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Winning is all that matters, don’t care how ugly it looks. I remember Fred’s last basketball team they were down constantly in a lot of games but they almost always managed to pull them out.
MY idea of winning would be our 1999-2000 basketball team that stomped and intimidated practically everyone they played. Would love for our football team to get to that point. That would be fun as hell!

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

Agreed. I didn't have an issue coming into the UNI game wanting to see what we had with the running backs and avoiding the big mistake with the assumption we could methodically pull away from a lesser opponent. What I did have a problem with was what appeared to be a refusal to change strategy and open it up when it was still a tight game well into the second half.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Offense is a concern. I get the style we want to play, but waaay too many trips into plus territory through two games that yielded nothing. It’s strange to have a QB as efficient as Brock and see such anemic results. The lack of a running game has prevented ISU from finishing drives. It feels like to do what Campbell and Co. want to do you need a steady diet of punishing 4-5 yard runs. That does not exist yet. If we had that part of the offense working with this defense this season would be historic.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
When is the last time this team really put things together and played well? I would say going back to Texas last year this team has not played a game anywhere near their full potential and have a 3-3 record. There have been plenty of games like yesterday where they dominated in lots of areas but either lost or barely beat an inferior opponent. I hope they really put it to La Monroe. This team needs to remember what it's like to completely dominate a game.

What's our full potential?