Offensive Line

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
It’s going to be tenuous. We’ll see how a 10 win defense and 4 win offense/special teams averages out. Already down a should-win, so it’s trending towards 7.
How soon we forget 2011 and 2012.

Is the defense just as good as those years? Yes, and those defenses were damn good. Is the offense just as bad as those years? HECK NO.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
This defense should be better than those years....last year's already was.
I tend to think that too, but I think if those 2011 and 2012 defenses had a Campbell offense to go with them, who knows what stats they'd have put up and what lore they'd have. They got zero help from their offense, often defending short fields with two minutes of rest.

We haven't punched it in enough the last two games, but that beats the hell out of your best offensive weapon being Kirby van der Kamp.

• Agree
Reactions: Cat Stevens

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I tend to think that too, but I think if those 2011 and 2012 defenses had a Campbell offense to go with them, who knows what stats they'd have put up and what lore they'd have. They got zero help from their offense, often defending short fields with two minutes of rest.

The offense hasn't been that much better under CMC.

The 2012 defense just really wasn't that good.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Don't know why all banging on the offense. I thought they played pretty well aside the mental breakdowns. At least played better than I expected, maybe my expectations were pretty low.

Because we scored 17 pts against a terrible defensive back fields and dominated the LOS. How does that even happen?

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
The offense hasn't been that much better under CMC.

The 2012 defense just really wasn't that good.
Player for player, every player on the offense is better than in those years, minus KO72, and possibly Josh Lenz and Carter Bykowski. Those teams had Jared Barnett at their fulcrum. Yes, 2012 defense wasn't as good, but that team only went 6-7. Still had a core of McDonaugh, Knott, Klein, George, and Broomfield. Went downhill quick in 2013...

Jeff Woody would never see the field in today's offense, maybe as a fullback.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Because we scored 17 pts against a terrible defensive back fields and dominated the LOS. How does that even happen?
Not debating, just giving my take on how it happened. We had nine(!) total possessions, because Iowa was able to eat 35 minutes of clock despite averaging 3.0 yds per rush, and 5.7 yds per pass attempt. At some the point defense has to get off the field on third down or force a turnover.

Of those nine possessions:
  • a fumble ended a drive near Iowa's end zone
  • a false start "forced" a punt from Iowa's 37
  • Purdy misfires twice, ending another drive at Iowa's 37
  • A poor kick return decision and ensuing penalty puts ISU at its own 6. Iowa executes and a poor punt sets up their only touchdown
  • With 2 and 8 from Iowa's nine, Purdy overthrows two open-enough receivers, forcing a field goal
  • Offense-isn't-set false start, offsetting holding penalty, solid defense forces turnover on downs.
  • Second double pass attempt doesn't come off, sets up second and 13, Iowa forces stop
  • Two touchdowns
Outside of the one three in out at our own 6, and the short field fumble, Iowa State's drives were 86, 29, 32, 76, 45, 66, and 36 yds, but we only converted 3 of 9 third downs to Iowa's 10 of 19.

I think we were very, very close to scoring more than 17 points. Iowa shortened the game, bent but didn't break (like us), and took advantage of one time they had excellent field position. I think we did attempt to attack Iowa's secondary, given that we only ran 19 times, but they made us be methodical, and we misfired just enough times. I'm more concerned with the special teams than I am with the offense. In what amounted to a punting contest, Iowa's punter flipped field much more effectively. I'm also beginning to question our "sell-out to not block the punt and then fair catch it for a 48 yd net" punt return philosophy.

Last edited:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I was thinking today about how yes Iowa deserved to win because they feasted on our mistakes yet our mistakes can be correctable if the players are willing to buy in and get the finer details ironed out.

Iowa has some glaring issues in their secondary that I'm not sure you can fix with their personnel. They have a hell of a punter and kicker and I'm honestly just jealous of all these teams we play with great special teams play. Ours was horrific.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
Not debating, just giving my take on how it happened. We had nine(!) total possessions, because Iowa was able to eat 35 minutes of clock despite averaging 3.0 yds per rush, and 5.7 yds per pass attempt. At some the point defense has to get off the field on third down or force a turnover.

Of those nine possessions, a fumble ended a drive near Iowa's red zone, a false start forced* a punt from Iowa's 37, Purdy misfires twice ending another drive at Iowa's 37,
  • A poor kick return decision and ensuing penalty puts ISU at its own 6. Iowa executes and a poor punt sets up their only touchdown
  • With 2 and 8 from Iowa's nine, Purdy overthrows two open-enough receivers, forcing a field goal
  • Offense-isn't-set false start, offsetting holding penalty, solid defense forces turnover on downs.
  • Second double pass attempt doesn't come off, sets up second and 13, Iowa forces stop
  • Two touchdowns
Outside of the one three in out at our own 6, and the short field fumble, Iowa State's drives were 86, 29, 32, 76, 45, 66, and 36 yds, but we only converted 3 of 9 third downs to Iowa's 10 of 19.

I think we were very, very close to scoring more than 17 points. Iowa shortened the game, bent but didn't break (like us), and took advantage of one time they had excellent field position. I think we did attempt to attack Iowa's secondary, given that we only ran 19 times, but they made us be methodical, and we misfired just enough times. I'm more concerned with the special teams than I am with the offense. In what amounted to a punting contest, Iowa's punter flipped field much more effectively. I'm also beginning to question our "sell-out to not block the punt and then fair catch it for a 48 yd net" punt return philosophy.

I think our two biggest issues Saturday were special teams play, (not just the last punt, but several other plays) and the BIGGEST was not being able to get off the field on multiple 3rd and 5 or more. The 3rd down issue was also present against UNI. That needs to be addressed ASAP.

• Agree
Reactions: CNECloneFan

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
They had an intentional grounding and a false start. That's it until the last false start & delay of game.

The refs weren't calling anything on the lines except that really odd holding on us. Strange time to pull out the flag for a holding call, that's all I'm gonna say.
Actually, it was the perfect time to call it...

dfwcy

Oct 20, 2008
I was thinking today about how yes Iowa deserved to win because they feasted on our mistakes yet our mistakes can be correctable if the players are willing to buy in and get the finer details ironed out.

Iowa has some glaring issues in their secondary that I'm not sure you can fix with their personnel. They have a hell of a punter and kicker and I'm honestly just jealous of all these teams we play with great special teams play. Ours was horrific.

Ya think? Its called injuries and it happens. Iowa had 4 defensive backs out with injuries for this game. State didn`t do enough to exploit that IMO.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Ya think? Its called injuries and it happens. Iowa had 4 defensive backs out with injuries for this game. State didn`t do enough to exploit that IMO.

They had a mixture of starters and backups hurt. Saying four when one was getting bumped for the backup anyhow and another one or two was backups is pushing it a little.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I still feel like we are a bit cursed.

It just feels like every bounce goes against us and goes for the opponent most of the time. It's uncanny.

We could have easily had 2-4 INTs, but balls batted up in the air just fell to empty space, or we just couldn't grab the ball right in our hands.

Iowa clearly holds on that 3rd and 22, but no call... and then Meeker gets called for the worst holding call I've ever seen on the most critical play of the game.

Sometimes you just come away with the feeling it just wasn't meant to happen.... and we just can't have nice things.

Normally I'd agree, but aside from that one ghost holding call, we pissed this one down our legs.

In fact, I'm really impressed with our o-line's performance on Saturday. Usually Iowa dominates us at the line of scrimmage, but I thought this one was a pretty even fight.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016

Well they did and didn't. We were definitely gunning for them, but just like against UNI, I don't think we ran the ball enough. I don't think that's why we lost the game, though.

• Agree
Reactions: flycy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Player for player, every player on the offense is better than in those years, minus KO72, and possibly Josh Lenz and Carter Bykowski. Those teams had Jared Barnett at their fulcrum. Yes, 2012 defense wasn't as good, but that team only went 6-7. Still had a core of McDonaugh, Knott, Klein, George, and Broomfield. Went downhill quick in 2013...

Jeff Woody would never see the field in today's offense, maybe as a fullback.
JB was probably our best RPO QB, just lacked in passing. He would of been a very successful QB for a coach like Snyder

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I hear their water boy was out too.
You’re correct though, we should have attacked Iowa’s defense overrated defense more. Same as the UNI game

• Agree

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

I didn't know only Iowa had injuries in college football. Got it.

• Funny

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I didn't know only Iowa had injuries in college football. Got it.

They have two good defensive backs and both played the whole game. Their safety that was out was already splitting time with a walk on before he got hurt because he was doing so bad and don't even get me started on that Moss kid

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX

Of those nine possessions, a fumble ended a drive near Iowa's red zone, a false start forced* a punt from Iowa's 37, Purdy misfires twice ending another drive at Iowa's 37,
  • Two touchdowns

Awesome summary - great take!
I'll add a couple short blip concerns: 1) wondering if we should return KOs fielded at the goal line vs taking the ball at the 25?. 2) We still have trouble getting plays called, and in on time, when the D audibles and/or shifts.