I'm tired of hearing about the great Matt Campbell

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
This season is is looking similar to the previous two, and I'm not just referencing the overall record. Also, big mistakes continue to show themselves. Won't beat tougher competition with the continual mistakes, however I don't see them stopping anytime soon. I predict a similar overall record as the previous two.

Last edited:

Rockclone

Jul 18, 2016
Our running backs had EIGHT carries for the top two. Kene averaged 9 yds per and got SIX attempts. That is pure incompetence out of the play caller.
I agree. Manning is overrated as an offensive coordinator. His play calling was a problem his last stent here. As for the special teams. The first 2 years with Campbell, Gasser was the special teams coordinator and the special teams did well. Then year 3 he made Huston the special teams coordinator and we were terrible. This year special teams are a problem again. Some of Campbell ‘s decisions on his staff are questionable.

• Friendly
Reactions: SpokaneCY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This season is is looking similar to the previous two, and I'm not just referencing the overall record. Also, big mistakes continue to show themselves. Won't beat tougher competition with the continual mistakes, however I don't see them stopping anytime soon. I predict a similar overall record as the previous two.

I'd be fine with a 8-4/7-5 type of season but if there's wins left on the table, like last night's game feels like, that would be lame.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I've read some dumb things, this might be the dumbest. Iowa is a rival, and because their fans suck so bad we all want to beat them, but in the grand scheme of things this game really doesn't mean that much. It really is just a tune up game for the regular season. Take a deep breath, and get some perspective.

Really want to beat them because of annoying fans. But the inevitable big 10 collapse coupled with crushing bowl losses generally provides fulfillment down the stretch.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
If there is any fault with Campbell it seems like his teams need a full month of football to get going. First couple games are always questionable with sloppy play and missed opportunities. I dont know what that's about, but it would be great to play a compete game against Iowa one of these years.

Particularly frustrating this year. In prior years there was a lot of valid excuses for slow starts. This year they’ve been stable and healthy.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Just think, if we were in the B10 we'd be
18 points is great but the way they earned them was the issue. Like, ISU really needed to make sure Iowa didn't go down and score after the fumble before half time.

And then ISU really needed to not let Iowa go down and score after going up 17-15, but then they did.

The defense only gave up 300 yards and 18 points, but is it reliable late in a game when it needs a stop?

Total of 18 points whether all in the 1st qtr or all in the last qtr is still just 18 points. Unless we only score 17.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
It’s one game? We’ve been playing this way for awhile.

It’s tough to win 8+ when you drop a home game to ******* Iowa

Yea we lost one game this season so far. Last year we started 1-3, if we start 1-3 again then I’ll bite but not yet. Its tough to win 8+ when you drop a home to UNI, Drake or anyone.

johnwayne

Sep 2, 2012
im just going to throw this out there. I believe we lost because of a lack of player leadership. I think that will come by the end of the season. David Montgomery was more than just a player. I think they miss him in the lockerroom. just my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Yet we've done it 2 years straight. I know your response will be we were close to going 4-9 but we were also close to going 10-4.
We’ve won 7 and 8 games respectively. You disagree it’s tough to win more than that playing like we have the past 6 games? A home loss to Iowa makes more than 8 wins very unlikely.

It’s a shame we’re likely going to waste a 10+ win defense with mediocre offense and special teams.

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
Here's some perspective from five years ago.

I hate losing to the ******* hoks as much as anyone, but we are way ahead of where we were as a program just a few years ago and light years ahead of the Walden era when I started attending ISU.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I can’t believe OP is an actual isu fan..

In 3 short years CMC has a winning record at isu

Been to biggest bowl game at isu to date

Has multiple Top 5 wins

Won @ou

Has put ISU on national map

Brought Gameday to Ames

Substantially upgraded the talent on this roster

And you post a title of I’m sick and tired of Matt Campbell?

Just stop and think about what life as an isu fan was like 5 years ago..

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I agree. Manning is overrated as an offensive coordinator. His play calling was a problem his last stent here. As for the special teams. The first 2 years with Campbell, Gasser was the special teams coordinator and the special teams did well. Then year 3 he made Huston the special teams coordinator and we were terrible. This year special teams are a problem again. Some of Campbell ‘s decisions on his staff are questionable.

Oh ya?

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I like him. I want him to stay.

But he's 0-4 against an arch rival that is better than average at best. The mistakes made today are the same losing football we've seen for four decades.

If you were not drunk with this post then I feel for you. Drunk I get.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyVoodoo

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
The percentage of fans dumb enough to wish we were still under Rhoads has to be tiny. Plenty of overreacting, but very few actually think that. My guess is there might be a few if those pining for those good ole 3-9 seasons with a win over TOE. Seems like a discussion that happens in the parking lot during the 3rd quarter over a Busch Light.

Put me in the camp that CMC is the best thing to happen in the last 40 yrs.....The last thing I want is Paul Rhoads regime or anything resembling that ill fated voyage.....Looking forward to another Bowl Game

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Yea we lost one game this season so far. Last year we started 1-3, if we start 1-3 again then I’ll bite but not yet. Its tough to win 8+ when you drop a home to UNI, Drake or anyone.

I agree a loss to UNI/Drake/TOE makes it nearly impossible to win 9/10/11 games.....GO Cyclones beat ULM