The infamous holding call

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
This is the kind of post that deserves a dumb rating. I'm sure you know more than basically every NFL scout. Keep up the hot takes though!
Draft stock is hardly the sole metric of current college ability. You’re kidding yourself if you don’t think hype comes into college accolades.

I’m sure he’s a fine player that has a lot of success in the Big 10. I’ve only watched him against Iowa State, and he’s honestly been forgettable.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I agree - but if we apply what the ref used to call our player for holding on that play, both Iowa and ISU would have racked up over 100 yds in holding penalties throughout the game - including that 3rd and 22. I think this is what Cyclone fans are soooo upset about. You decide to throw a flag just because you are standing by the Iowa sidelines and hearing the entire coaching staff yelling "Hold!, Hold!, Hold!" The ref turned into a gutless wonder and caved to a fictional call to avoid being chewed out by the Hawk staff. We didn't lose because of that call - but it DEFINITELY was a terrible call and it negated us having a real potential to win the game. (Oh, BTW, don't get me started on that "11 players NOT set for one second" BS call on 1st down -- My brother and I rewinded that play 10 times and there was one guy in motion and the rest of the 10 players were set for well over one second).

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I agree - but if we apply what the ref used to call our player for holding on that play, both Iowa and ISU would have racked up over 100 yds in holding penalties throughout the game - including that 3rd and 22. I think this is what Cyclone fans are soooo upset about. You decide to throw a flag just because you are standing by the Iowa sidelines and hearing the entire coaching staff yelling "Hold!, Hold!, Hold!" The ref turned into a gutless wonder and caved to a fictional call to avoid being chewed out by the Hawk staff. We didn't lose because of that call - but it DEFINITELY was a terrible call and it negated us having a real potential to win the game. (Oh, BTW, don't get me started on that "11 players NOT set for one second" BS call on 1st down -- My brother and I rewinded that play 10 times and there was one guy in motion and the rest of the 10 players were set for well over one second).

It’s almost like it was intentional

BLHawk

Jun 25, 2019

As I said earlier, refs aren't perfect.

• Dumb
Reactions: JP4CY and Bigman38

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
As I said earlier, refs aren't perfect.

You've said that three times. The missed calls were all the holds during the game that don't get called. Then they call that garbage on 4th down on our last drive.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
18th in the AP, I would say we are both.

What is it about teams with "hawk" in their nickname that makes them so delusional. Iowa is not a top 20 team, that defense will get torched if they ever play a team that has any semblance of an offense...and doesn't continually shoot themselves in the foot like ISU did.

Sadly, the Hawks' remaining patsy schedule and the fact that the rest of the Big 10 West sucks balls will only feed this delusion.

fredisgod

Feb 20, 2019
1. A loss is always the refs fault.
2. Eppie may not be very good. But remember, Clayborn had a "bad" senior season, and he still played in the NFL.
3. ISUs RBs should be able to see the hand-writing on the wall. The Big 12 is not a running league.
4. I love all the pressure that the DL and every-play blitzers got on Stanley.
5. If only we had 3 big plays, instead of just 2.
6. If the refs didn't hate Here's Johnny, he would have won 45% of his conference games, instead of 40%.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
1. A loss is always the refs fault.
2. Eppie may not be very good. But remember, Clayborn had a "bad" senior season, and he still played in the NFL.
3. ISUs RBs should be able to see the hand-writing on the wall. The Big 12 is not a running league.
4. I love all the pressure that the DL and every-play blitzers got on Stanley.
5. If only we had 3 big plays, instead of just 2.
6. If the refs didn't hate Here's Johnny, he would have won 45% of his conference games, instead of 40%.

Take out the trash

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It doesn't look like it was.
BlandSleepyIndianhare-size_restricted.gif

Epenesa-sack-MSU.gif

AJ%20Epenesa

Epenesa_2cAJ01.jpg
3 years before posting with this username? Impressive.

• Winner
Reactions: ISUAlum2002

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Nothing that could even be conceived to be a hold there. Not sure how a ref could think there was something there. Mistakes and not putting more points on the board when we had the chance cost us as well though. Too bad kene has been dinged up I think it would have made a difference having him returning kicks.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
If there was a thread that ever personified cyclone fans, this would be it.

It was a horrible call, Iowa fans like to think ISU is the only team that complains about calls, every fan base does, when its a horrible call. Remember the Florida Bowl game, where the ref called offsides on Iowa during a squib kick 5 years or so.

Bad calls determine the game, they always have and always will.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
It was a horrible call, Iowa fans like to think ISU is the only team that complains about calls, every fan base does, when its a horrible call. Remember the Florida Bowl game, where the ref called offsides on Iowa during a squib kick 5 years or so.

Bad calls determine the game, they always have and always will.
12 years ago