Student Section on the Field During Delay

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I know why they're there. What I meant was, how is it that they are allowed to remain there in those circumstances?

I think everyone is allowed to stay, most just choose not to.

It might take more security than is typically on hand to force the student section to leave

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I understand where Walters was coming from, initially thinking it would tear up the field, but non-cleated shoes aren’t going to do a lot of damage (especially compared to actually playing the second half on the field) and his reaction was a little over the top IMO.

Probably shouldn’t have done it, but no big deal.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
This wouldn't have happened if the students just stayed on their phones likes they do at Hilton! /s
Hard to stay on your phone when you can't get a bit of reception. 3 hours of delay goes a lot slower when you can't even open Twitter.

And yes I know you were being sarcastic

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
This wouldn't have happened if the students just stayed on their phones likes they do at Hilton! /s

I assume most of their phones' batteries, like mine, were dead after a full day of tailgating.

washington

Sep 1, 2006
It wasn't a big deal. Both ISU and Iowa students were on the field. They announced that they needed to go back and they did. Students handled it and security as well. Our whole section enjoyed watching it as well as the sliders on the hill.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
It was a bunch of drunk students from both teams. Security should have done better, but everyone was told to head for shelter because of incoming hail... including security.
How was security supposed to do better when they were told to seek shelter?

Double standard from you, dude.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Hell. We stormed the field during a weather delay when the place was still Cyclone Stadium - Jack Trice Field.

All of this pearl clutching over some students having fun....

GREAT JOB, STUDENTS! Enjoy the ride!

• Agree
Reactions: Lahey

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Pretty stupid thing to do, could have torn up the field. Field looked as good as it could have after the rain, so not a big deal when all said and done

I was thinking about this. The players are way bigger and wear deep cleats. They grind and pound and all the stuff that happens during a game. A bunch of kids in sneakers weighing 120 pounds doesn't make me want to light a torch or march or arrange a 5K.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Only way this becomes an actual big deal is if penalties could've been assessed because of it.

As for the students tearing up the field by running on it, since they weren't wearing cleats, they ran a bigger risk of slipping and injuring themselves than tearing up the conditions. Which would've been their own damn fault.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Aw man, they got to slide down the hill?

I wanna slide on the hill!

I agree. Makes me wish this happened while I was in college, all we got was the Colorado Tornado game. I still have fond memories of rushing the field while in school and being one of the first over the barricade (except then the creepy old alum were in the wrong, because, well creepy old alumni, let's leave it at that).

I'd love to add sliding down the hill and on the field to that list of dumb ass things I did when I was younger.

Sounds like it was handled well by all parties. John Walters just made it sound bigger than I guess it actually was.

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
I don't have the answer for this other than large gates that could be opened but there needs to be a quicker way to let people leave the stadium if there is a serious weather threat. If there was an actual threat from the lightening, hail or tornado many people could be injured. We stayed during the first delay because as slow as the crowd moves there was no way we could have gotten out before the delay ended and it lasted about an hour.

Either this or the lightening is actually not a real threat and if that's the case they should play through it. The only ones that can get out are the players, coaches and officials.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I don't have the answer for this other than large gates that could be opened but there needs to be a quicker way to let people leave the stadium if there is a serious weather threat. If there was an actual threat from the lightening, hail or tornado many people could be injured. We stayed during the first delay because as slow as the crowd moves there was no way we could have gotten out before the delay ended and it lasted about an hour.

Either this or the lightening is actually not a real threat and if that's the case they should play through it. The only ones that can get out are the players, coaches and officials.

I'm guessing your last point is right. Not a real threat, but from an insurance standpoint you have to have all scenarios covered for paid employees (both from the universities and partnerships). I'm sure the TOC's on tickets state the University is not liable for a lot of things.

And I'm fine with that. Imagine if you needed a "panic room" at every business venture to plan for a variety of things should they happen. It's not like the university would pay for an accident you got in while driving to the game, they gave the warning, from their it's up to personal responsibility. Cost would be insane.

Random story but I was once in a tornado warning at NFM in Omaha, and they would not let you leave the premises in fear of lawsuits. IIRC they stated if you leave you are leaving via your own free will and would not be allowed back on premises until the warning cleared. Which in hindsight seems asinine if people are looking for shelter.

All in all though, I'm glad the kids who got out there had fun, and they'll have a great memory of their time in school (both Iowa St. and Iowa students).

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I agree. Makes me wish this happened while I was in college, all we got was the Colorado Tornado game. I still have fond memories of rushing the field while in school and being one of the first over the barricade (except then the creepy old alum were in the wrong, because, well creepy old alumni, let's leave it at that).

I'd love to add sliding down the hill and on the field to that list of dumb ass things I did when I was younger.

Sounds like it was handled well by all parties. John Walters just made it sound bigger than I guess it actually was.

When I was in school we got to take the goalposts down twice and throw them in Lake Laverne. Was that smart? No, but it's tough not to want to be a part of the mob.

Reactions: Farnsworth