3rd and long

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I’ve felt that way the last two or three years. I would much rather a third and 3 or 4 than a third and long. Would be curious to see our average on giving up a first down on third and long versus the national average and versus third and shorter.

Edit: I think we’ve had an amazing defense the last couple of years. We just SEEM to give up a lot of first downs on third and long.

We bend......we don't break. However we just SEEM to not break...it depends on your definition of break is. Giving up more points than your offense can score could be considered breaking I guess.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
One thing they need to correct is when they have good pressure and they leave their feet trying to get a sack. McDonald did it twice vs UNI and Uwazurile did it last night. In all three cases they stay on their feet they likely cause the QB to get rid of the ball or maybe still get the sack. Instead all three led to big plays.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You're completely right, its almost as if plays of 73 and 51 yards against blown coverages will jack up your averages. It doesnt take a professional mathematician to figure that out. Take away those 2 plays and the offenses were a draw. It

I also don't know if ISU ran the ball successfully two plays in a row, or even attempted to. Iowa may have averaged less, but they seemed to have some push to at least get positive yardage.

• Funny
Reactions: FinalFourCy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
One thing they need to correct is when they have good pressure and they leave their feet trying to get a sack. McDonald did it twice vs UNI and Uwazurile did it last night. In all three cases they stay on their feet they likely cause the QB to get rid of the ball or maybe still get the sack. Instead all three led to big plays.

Also is the Dline too high with the shoulders at times?

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
My observations paralleled several here. Third a long was a death sentence for us. #2 cleanly missed at least 5 tackles that I counted. Our blitzes were slower than molasses in winter time. Always seemed a step or two late.

On the other hand, the result was turning an average QB into a highly successful one. That’s no insult to Stanley, but he has glaring weaknesses.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
We bend......we don't break. However we just SEEM to not break...it depends on your definition of break is. Giving up more points than your offense can score could be considered breaking I guess.
Holding teams under 20 points isn't breaking. We should win games in that scenario... yet, we've lost a few of them that way in the past few years.

• Friendly
Reactions: dirtyninety

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
My observations paralleled several here. Third a long was a death sentence for us. #2 cleanly missed at least 5 tackles that I counted. Our blitzes were slower than molasses in winter time. Always seemed a step or two late.

On the other hand, the result was turning an average QB into a highly successful one. That’s no insult to Stanley, but he has glaring weaknesses.

I thought Rose looked a little out of position too at times but would need to watch it again.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
You're completely right, its almost as if plays of 73 and 51 yards against blown coverages will jack up your averages. It doesnt take a professional mathematician to figure that out. Take away those 2 plays and the offenses were a draw. It

BREAKING: If you take away a team's most successful plays, they suddenly become less successful.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
What is missing here is the TOP you give up. While you are bending, the other team maintains ball control. Hard fro the offense to score when they don't have the ball.

• Agree
Reactions: dirtyninety