3rd and long

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
TOE is 3rd and 22 inside the 10. We rush 3 players and give a senior QB all the time in the world to complete the pass. This is what Rhoads used to do and it drove me crazy then. How many times during that era did we watch the other QB scramble forever and then complete a long pass. I am not a coach and all these defensive schemes seem to look the same but why wouldn't we put pressure on Stanley to make a quick play instead of giving him time to find a receiver. Our pass defense is not that bad and I have to believe we can hold our own for 5-6 seconds on long coverage. We have a ton of keyboard coaches out here. Anyone care to explain the 3 man rush other than the obvious it gives us another DB to cover?

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
TOE is 3rd and 22 inside the 10. We rush 3 players and give a senior QB all the time in the world to complete the pass. This is what Rhoads used to do and it drove me crazy then. How many times during that era did we watch the other QB scramble forever and then complete a long pass. I am not a coach and all these defensive schemes seem to look the same but why wouldn't we put pressure on Stanley to make a quick play instead of giving him time to find a receiver. Our pass defense is not that bad and I have to believe we can hold our own for 5-6 seconds on long coverage. We have a ton of keyboard coaches out here. Anyone care to explain the 3 man rush other than the obvious it gives us another DB to cover?

Because it was working? Seriously, they got no pressure on Stanley all night and he has to be the slowest qb in college football, what makes you they would have gotten to him had they put pressure? Iowas offensive line was doing a heck of a job in pass protection.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
In general 8 guys should be able to cover 22 yards on the field.

The coverage really wasn't very good last night.

On the other hand Iowa was better at getting the ball out when needed.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
We had moments where an extra rusher was sent, and it did have an effect....I think he was forced to move and it affected his accuracy. These were good moments for the Defense. Anyway.....this whole game goes to again prove that these coaches weren't engineering majors or MENSA members.
The planned quarterback draws were insane that we were so vulnerable, but tip you hat to Iowa on that and those were coached to happen with the defense we had....there were 3 or 4 of those that were killer.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Because it was working? Seriously, they got no pressure on Stanley all night and he has to be the slowest qb in college football, what makes you they would have gotten to him had they put pressure? Iowas offensive line was doing a heck of a job in pass protection.

And if ISU did get through their pursuit was pretty poor.

• Agree
Reactions: SCarolinaCy

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
I didn't say we would get to him, I said we would speed up the play. Stanley had too much time on that play and it costs us the game in my opinion. I know they only scored 3 points but they also kept the ball and kept us from good field position.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Can’t really blame anyone on that call. A very difficult throw had to be made and unfortunately he made it.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Stanley wasn't perfect last night but made plays when he had to and you gotta give him some credit. Oddly enough I felt better about 3rd and <4 last night than I did on 3rd <5 situations.

• Agree
Reactions: acoustimac

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I didn't say we would get to him, I said we would speed up the play. Stanley had too much time on that play and it costs us the game in my opinion. I know they only scored 3 points but they also kept the ball and kept us from good field position.

Sometimes you have to just chalk it up to the other team stepping up and making a play. ISU rushing 3 all night was working just fine, they shut down their running backs and it kept their passing game in check except for a couple plays. I really refuse to place any blame on any aspect of this defense, they played about as well as you could expect given the competition.

Reactions: Doc

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
In general 8 guys should be able to cover 22 yards on the field.

The coverage really wasn't very good last night.

On the other hand Iowa was better at getting the ball out when needed.
Yes, 8 guys should be able to cover but not for an eternity, which is what Stanley had.

• Agree
Reactions: SCarolinaCy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not that often.... ISU ran the ball better than Iowa did per carry. Nice try though.

ISU almost doubled up Iowa on yds per play, but found a way to still hand it to Iowa. Just need to clean up mistakes.

What does yardage/play have to do with ISU missing tackles often?

There were several times that ISU straight up whiffed on tackles and/or took poor angles that would have been no gain or minus yardage, that went for 4-5 yards to create a manageable situation for Iowa.

It's really weird that people aren't seeing that. I also pointed out that Stanley ran up the middle for several yards in the 1st quarter and people acted like it didn't happen.

• Funny
Reactions: FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
What does yardage/play have to do with ISU missing tackles often?

There were several times that ISU straight up whiffed on tackles and/or took poor angles that would have been no gain or minus yardage, that went for 4-5 yards to create a manageable situation for Iowa.

It's really weird that people aren't seeing that. I also pointed out that Stanley ran up the middle for several yards in the 1st quarter and people acted like it didn't happen.
Madguy still blabbering about the defense.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Not that often.... ISU ran the ball better than Iowa did per carry. Nice try though.

ISU almost doubled up Iowa on yds per play, but found a way to still hand it to Iowa. Just need to clean up mistakes.

You're completely right, its almost as if plays of 73 and 51 yards against blown coverages will jack up your averages. It doesnt take a professional mathematician to figure that out. Take away those 2 plays and the offenses were a draw. It

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
Stanley wasn't perfect last night but made plays when he had to and you gotta give him some credit. Oddly enough I felt better about 3rd and <4 last night than I did on 3rd <5 situations.

I’ve felt that way the last two or three years. I would much rather a third and 3 or 4 than a third and long. Would be curious to see our average on giving up a first down on third and long versus the national average and versus third and shorter.

Edit: I think we’ve had an amazing defense the last couple of years. We just SEEM to give up a lot of first downs on third and long.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
You're completely right, its almost as if plays of 73 and 51 yards against blown coverages will jack up your averages. It doesnt take a professional mathematician to figure that out. Take away those 2 plays and the offenses were a draw. It
Take away Iowa’s best plays too and it wasn’t

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy and acoustimac

Help Support Us

Become a patron