I'm tired of hearing about the great Matt Campbell

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Campbell appears to have designed a more Big 10 style offense that can control the clock and get the defense a rest. He designed his defense to shutdown high powered spread offenses. Aka, he created a team that can and will compete in the big 12.

Unfortunately, Iowa's defense is designed to stop our offense and our defense is not designed to stop Iowa's offense. If he continues to get us in the big 12 championship conversation the dude is deserving of all the money he wants, I don't care if he ever beats Captain Kirk. Ok, I care a little, but in the grand scheme it's not so important to me. I prioritize the big 12.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This goes back even further than that. They needed a miracle comeback to beat Kansas St in Ames, a team they were clearly better than in every aspect of football by that point in the season.

Repeating but Baylor last year imo was when fundamentals started loosening up and it hasn't gotten better.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Are you ready for a TLDR JIMLAD rant??? Cause I sure as hell am!
  • I'm really tired of ISU beating top 10 teams.
  • I was so tired of that 7 game home win streak. That ******* thing had to go.
  • I'm tired of ISU having a stout and competent defense.
  • I'm tired of ISU having a very young and super competent QB
  • I'm tired of ISU often being in close games that they may lose...and those wins by a wide margin? I don't even know what to make of those.
In the United States of America there's probably about 9 collegiate fanbases that aren't tired of hearing about their great coach. Lets see.... Maybe the Sabans, the Sweeneys, Ohio State's new coach, etc, and some stupid non-consequential schools that are still in some sort of honeymoon phase. That's it...that's the ******* list! Saban is however debatable because Bama fans want to win each game by 52+ points, and that rat bastard Nick Saban is RARELY up to that challenge of such dominance.

ITS DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL. ITS THE BIG 12. GO CHEER FOR INTER-MURALS BROTHER.

Last night was the stupidest way to lose a game. Especially vs ******* Iowa. I get that it would be nice to go to work and have a 1-up on your stupid Iowa co-workers, and for other various reasons of outright goddamn vanity that we want to see ISU beat Iowa. Props to Nate Stanley for make that 3rd and 22 throw. UGH. That's a senior QB move right there. PS he's got a stupid face.

Anywho there are a **** load of fan bases that wish they had a "great Matt Campbell" doing what ISU has done the last 2+ seasons.

In the 1985 NBA finals Game One, THE SHOWTIME LAKERS in all its glory in its prime lost 148-114 to the Celtics. A bunch of slow white dudes in nut-hugger shorts LOL. Probably the most embarrassing thing to happen to that fanbase. The Lakers won that series 4-2 and Pat Riley was still "The Great Pat Riley". **** happens no matter who your personnel is or who your coach is.

I could be the owner of 9 consecutive Tecmo Bowl tourney championships in 6 different states! However in my bid to win the Omaha tourney 4 straight years (and my 8th title in a row overall) I came up short. Self inflicted wounds. For some reason that day I couldn't execute the rudimentary passing offense of the Colts (that I can practically perform in my sleep) and threw 2 of the stupidest picks in my life ever! I lost on a late TD as a result of not separating early on the scoreboard. If I had fans, they would have boo'd me that day.

So as a man with the greatest Tecmo Bowl tournament resume on this planet, I can attest that **** happens and nobody is perfect. The great Matt Campbell included.
Are you still tailgating?

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Honestly I'd rather beat ULM by 1pt as long as the team didn't make the same mistakes it keeps doing VS blowing them out and looking like usual sloppy selves.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Instead of using that awful CMC to talk about the coach can we upgrade to TGMC?

The
Great
Matt
Camobell (yeah, OP. Saw the goof last night)

Reactions: isu83

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Being old and overpaid doesn't get a coach into the HOF.
Just saying.
Correct on old and overpaid, but won multiple national COY awards 3 seasons and conference COY 4x. If he stays at iowa for 5 more years he might hit 200 wins. Very few get there at an FBS school, let alone P5, and especially one that is not a traditional power. If you win 7.5 per year for 25 years at a non traditional power in a major conference you are a HOFcoach.

For baseball fans my analogy would be Craig Biggio or Robin Yount.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Got to the Alamo bowl? Cool story

You are truly delusional.. isu had never been to a bowl like the Alamo bowl.. isu has never had 3 straight 8 win seasons...ever...ever in its 150 year+ f INg history... might after this year.

Only 2 teams in all of college football have more Top 5 wins...

The level of talent on this roster is, by far, the best it’s bern in the history of isu football.

We lost to Iowa... so? On to the next game. They will get it figured out.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Campbell appears to have designed a more Big 10 style offense that can control the clock and get the defense a rest. He designed his defense to shutdown high powered spread offenses. Aka, he created a team that can and will compete in the big 12.

Unfortunately, Iowa's defense is designed to stop our offense and our defense is not designed to stop Iowa's offense. If he continues to get us in the big 12 championship conversation the dude is deserving of all the money he wants, I don't care if he ever beats Captain Kirk. Ok, I care a little, but in the grand scheme it's not so important to me. I prioritize the big 12.

I think this largely explains Campbell vs Rhoads records vs iowa and the Big12. Rhoads ISU teams were like a bad version of OU or Okie light. Not good teams, but still presented a challenge for Iowa, who for years kept staying in their base with OLBs in space that were better suited taking on FBs and TEs. Big 10 has enough spread now that they've adjusted. While the formations and personnel are different, essentially Campbell is trying to beat Iowa at its own game by being very physical and sound. And ISU is pretty much right there. Not that Iowa is a great team, they are great at doing what they do.
ISU and Campbell will once again have success vs the Big12 this year.
Think about a few years ago fans here were saying ISU had to do some gimmicky **** like run a triple option to be competitive.
ISU is good this year again. Programs that are building don't just go up linearly. Too many variables that are unpredictable like TOs and injuries that have massive impacts from one game to the next.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
We lost to Iowa... so? On to the next game. They will get it figured out.
Oh my god - talk about minimizing another loss - at home - to our biggest rival.
Like the hoopla and atmosphere yesterday - in and out of Jack Trice - happens for any Big 12 opponent.
Get real.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I will contribute to this thread by adding that was the worst officiating I’ve ever seen. Worse than the KU basketball game on Big Monday in 2013. The phantom hold on ISU cost ISU the game. That crew should never be allowed to work another ISU game

Call very few holding calls until that one. Missed several on Iowa.

Missed an obvious helmet-to-helmet.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Was saying last night, Campbell kind of has a Ferentz “problem.”

Both of their styles tend to let them be in games and beat teams better than them, but also allow teams less talented stay closer than they should.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Anyone not happy with CMC is just delusional.

Is he perfect? No. Nobody is. But he's taken ISU to new heights and has this program headed in the right direction by every measure. We'd be stupid to run him off. Who in the world would people think we could go get?

But he needs to get Special Teams figured out in a big way, and also the "details" and "margins" he constantly talks about, but never seem to improve for whatever reason?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Campbell is due some criticism. We're immensely better under his guidance but his big wins have overshadowed some Ws left on the field and some sloppy play.

The bottom line is this: when Iowa needs a long drive for points to get back in the game, they get it. When Iowa needs a stop to get back in the game, they get it. When we need either of those things, we can't get them.

I'm 100% on the Campbell train and he can coach here forever as far as I'm concerned. That doesn't mean he should be immune to criticism. These subpar September performances are officially a problem. Special teams remain a problem. Timely penalties remain a problem.

I don't want him to "own it." I want him to fix it.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Sums up our team perfectly. "A ball-control team that's bad at ball-control."

Only hope is that CMC is doggedly, stubbornly, trying to mold us into a team that's good at ball control, regardless of if it costs us losses in the short-run. Maybe someday it will pay off. I was hoping some day was here. Guess not.

Cool think of all the time you can save not watching anymore.

Jesus Christ this is pathetic. A whole bunch of people spent the summer cocking off and now have to eat crow. Maybe instead of trying to brag to the loser hawk fans, you trust the process