INSTANT REACTION PODCAST: Iowa 18, Iowa State 17

SWIowaDC

Sep 10, 2010
The loss is a kick in the nuts and statistically we should have won. We ****** up with mistakes, these will be corrected. **** the Hawks!
I think Hawk fans would say two blown coverages were 14 of your 17 points. Corrections there will occur too.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't know how you can type the words "defense wasn't good enough" and actually be serious

Only allowing 18 is good, ISU failed at getting stops to get Iowa off the field at important parts of the game.

The answer to Purdy's fumble was to give up a 5 minute drive for a field goal. That's not good enough. And there several misses in the 2nd half.

The defense has talent but people need to look a little closer look at what's actually happening there.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
He got hit as he was throwing, which caused the throw to be off. Pretty obvious that he wasn’t intentionally throwing the football to the spot that he did.

But that's not the rule. He needs to get it beyond the line of scrimmage to not get intentional grounding. It doesn't matter whether his arm gets hit. Only if the ball itself gets hit.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I’ve watched quite a bit of football and can’t remember ever seeing that called intentional grounding.

Don't know what to tell you, that's always been the rule. Maybe watch a conference that can figure out how this while forward pass thing works

Edit: And the reason it's not usually called is that there's usually a RB pass blocking that is considered an eligible receiver. Iowa didn't have any eligible receivers in the area.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
But that's not the rule. He needs to get it beyond the line of scrimmage to not get intentional grounding. It doesn't matter whether his arm gets hit. Only if the ball itself gets hit.

Big thing on this one is if there was a receiver where he was intending to throw, there was no so that was the problem.

• Disagree
Reactions: Halincandenza

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Big thing on this one is if there was a receiver where he was intending to throw, there was no so that was the problem.

That didn’t actually matter because he was outside the tackle box. All he had to do was throw it beyond LOS. However the rules state that if a QBs throw is impacted by physical contact there is no grounding

• Agree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Painful loss clearly. But it has no bearing on the Big 12, if we can get the Big 12 championship game this won’t matter. So now the real work begins.

ULM will not be easy, coming in off a bye week and will be confident. So have to get that one and then roll into the Big 12 and grind out some wins. Not any easy ones from here on out.

We need to get over yesterday's debacle quickly and get focused on ULM because they are good.

We need to come out and clean the mistakes up and beat ULM handily.... but I fear CMC will somehow manage to keep this game close by playing somewhat conservatively, etc.

• Funny
Reactions: criticalobserver

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I’ve watched quite a bit of football and can’t remember ever seeing that called intentional grounding.
I didn't think it was intentional grounding either. But what do I know......I thought helmet to helmet was targeting.

HOU_Blue

Aug 16, 2019
I didn't think it was intentional grounding either. But what do I know......I thought helmet to helmet was targeting.

I know with 100% certainty it’s not intentional grounding in the NFL. The NCAA must have different rules.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
We need to get over yesterday's debacle quickly and get focused on ULM because they are good.

We need to come out and clean the mistakes up and beat ULM handily.... but I fear CMC will somehow manage to keep this game close by playing somewhat conservatively, etc.
We who, the fans? Cause that doesn’t matter. No seriously it doesn’t.

We who, the team? What are you doing on a message board, get back to the team.

• Agree
Reactions: criticalobserver