GRAY: ISU left facing "what-ifs" after another bitter Cy-Hawk Series loss

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
Nice article, Iowa had to play a perfect game to beat us, as much as I hate to do it, I tip my hat to them and move on to the next game. That’s the champion mentality we need to have. This team is still pretty young, but the process is working. As frustrating as this game was I’d rather beat Baylor and the rest of the Big 12.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Nice article, Iowa had to play a perfect game to beat us, as much as I hate to do it, I tip my hat to them and move on to the next game. That’s the champion mentality we need to have. This team is still pretty young, but the process is working. As frustrating as this game was I’d rather beat Baylor and the rest of the Big 12.
Iowa made the plays they needed, ISU did not. Iowa hardly played a perfect game.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Iowa reminded me of UNI. Near perfect game, scrappy bunch.

We’re really going to have to pick it up come Big 12 play.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and Spanky

I-Statefanin IACity78

Sep 10, 2019
Did anybody see the supposed holding call on the 4th down interference play??We kick a game winning field goal without that

Maybe it was some douche ref who wanted too interject himself with a ticky tacky call with the game on the line

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
Did anybody see the supposed holding call on the 4th down interference play??We kick a game winning field goal without that

Maybe it was some douche ref who wanted too interject himself with a ticky tacky call with the game on the line

On the replay I saw the right tackle take his man to the ground, I’m guessing that might be what they called. They could have called Iowa for holding on their 3rd and 22 play and I don’t know why they didn’t call targeting on the drive where we started on the 5. Clearly head to head but did they change the rule? I thought for sure it would get whistled by the booth and so did the Iowa fan sitting next to me?

That’s the breaks, oh well.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Campbell is right. This loss was on him. We had the better athletes today.
Right. Any staff that can reduce that UNI game to needing a fortuitous fumble recovery to avoid disaster, needs to rethink their approach imo. There’s having a thin margin for error, and then there’s manufacturing a thin margin for error. This was basically the UNI game. A little better production than two weeks ago, but a little better opponent.

BLHawk

Jun 25, 2019
On the replay I saw the right tackle take his man to the ground, I’m guessing that might be what they called. They could have called Iowa for holding on their 3rd and 22 play and I don’t know why they didn’t call targeting on the drive where we started on the 5. Clearly head to head but did they change the rule? I thought for sure it would get whistled by the booth and so did the Iowa fan sitting next to me?

That’s the breaks, oh well.

Doesn't the offensive player still have to be defenseless for the targeting call?

If so, I dont think he was.

• Funny
Reactions: Rural

CyFanInChiLand

Jul 14, 2009
New Orleans

Sorry to break it to you, but Iowa hardly played a perfect game. Their DBs didnt seem to know what the heck was going on, seems like those kids wont even be playing once they get some guys back from injury.

And thisbteak is NOT pretty young. Games are won on the LOS, and we are as experienced as anyone in those areas.

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
2 things that bothered me I'd how did we whiff so many times on Stanley? Pressured slot but seemed like we drove at his feet or just miss judged our attack. Then why did we go fast till we got to about the 40 then start using the whole play clock? Every drive in the 2nd half we did this. Dont think we were having trouble getting the play in just intentionally running the play clock down? We would do that and the drive would stall. Trying to be conservative and let the Defense win games is not what we should be doing. Our Defense will win us alot of games if we go all out on offense

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Had some similarities to the UNI game. Defense did its job. Offense moved the ball well most of the game but couldn't execute when it mattered the most.

We'll be fine for the season if we can clean up the mistakes and start finishing off drives, but that one stung.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUMojoMan

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Had some similarities to the UNI game. Defense did its job. Offense moved the ball well most of the game but couldn't execute when it mattered the most.

We'll be fine for the season if we can clean up the mistakes and start finishing off drives, but that one stung.

Lot of similarities to UNI in that we could/should have won both games by two scores BUT we had the most untimely things happen that put us in positions to lose. You couldn’t script worse timing for penalties, missed TO opportunities, and TOs of our own.

• Agree

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Both teams made a few plays here and there but we outplayed Iowa. I was underwhelmed with their performance, honestly. Stats show that too. Two horrific turnovers were the difference.
Yeah, that’s what’s awful about the loss. Really no different than had we lost to UNI because our 4th quarter, 4th down pass been called back on a phantom hold call after a game filled with having the ineffective upper-hand. You’ve got to win these games.

• Agree

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
Sorry to break it to you, but Iowa hardly played a perfect game. Their DBs didnt seem to know what the heck was going on, seems like those kids wont even be playing once they get some guys back from injury.

And thisbteak is NOT pretty young. Games are won on the LOS, and we are as experienced as anyone in those areas.

Iowa played a perfect game in the sense they didn’t turn the ball over, miss field goals, fumble the QB snap, drop easily catchable interceptions or shag a punt. There are about a dozen mistakes ISU makes that changes the outcome of the game. Iowa didn’t make those mistakes. To their credit, that’s why they won.

Overall, this team is young and only a few years removed from a 3-9 record with no history of success. As the culture steadily improves and the recruiting, I’m thinking this series turns for a while, maybe ISU wins 5 straight, but more importantly we start competing for big 12 titles or at least consistently make a bowl.

As far as the OL we had some inexperience at center and hopefully that group gets to the point where one injury doesn’t cause a big drop off, it’s already much better than it was a few years ago. The surprising thing about Iowa’s secondary was how much time Purdy had to pass most of the time.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
The
Doesn't the offensive player still have to be defenseless for the targeting call?

If so, I dont think he was.

I didn’t think helmet to helmet involved defenseless? In the Alamo bowl they seemed to kick our player out just cause his helmet made contact.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007

I thought it was a hold in real-time before I saw the flag. Sucked, but that is life. ISU shouldn't have been in a 4th and 13 situation. I'm in the "Iowa had to play a near perfect game (no turnovers and few penalties) and barely won" group. Tip my hat and time to move on, beat ULM and jump into Big Xii play with a (2-1) record.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron