Pollard: big announcement coming soon

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
He said Wednesday in His FB live interview that next week they would be releasing the 10 year plan for facility upgrades. I am sure it has to do with that. See about the 8:50 mark.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: skibumspe and JP4CY

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Tearing down Schemman (spelling) and building something else. New building may include hotel.

For what it’s worth - it’s not “funny” it’s true

Ban me if I’m wrong

If true, what will this building primarily be used for? Just the same thing (event space and possible hotel) or something different?

It surprises me if so, if only because that isnt really an athletics department building now (which is why we don't get stage door every game), and i assume that event space would need to be replicated in the new building?

I've always been surprised a hotel hasn't been part of the Iowa State Center complex though (or really that there aren't many hotels near campus in general given family and prospective student visits and whatnot),

Wasnt aware that change had happened, but i just did some searching and found this:

https://www.inside.iastate.edu/article/2019/08/08/center

So it makes some sense.

Didn't the City just vote down a Convention Center at that site (not to be confused with the recent city voting down a Wellness Center! (Edit, Yes, but apparently that as 2014, not "just") So I guess it makes sense that they may be still itching to do something. Doesn't seem like something exciting enough to "tease" on sports radio on eve of Cy-Hawk game. As in it is niche interest to people like us here but not most fans or even most alumni.

I've been to Scheman for number of receptions and conferences and it seems fine and kind of cool/retro with the wood+concrete brutalism of the whole complex, but sounds good as long as blends well with Hilton/Fisher/Stephens buildings.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Didn't the City just vote down a Convention Center at that site (not to be confused with the recent city voting down a Wellness Center! (Edit, Yes, but apparently that as 2014, not "just") so makes sense that they may be still itching to do something.
Yeah, iirc that expansion was a $40 million project half funded by ISU half to be funded by the city. If they want a new facility and still want the larger square footage that expansion would have brought, obviously that project would be significantly more expensive.

Doesn't seem like something exciting enough to "tease" on sports radio on eve of Cy-Hawk game. As in it is nich interest to people like us here but not most "fans" or even alumni.

Depends what all they announce. If you knocked down Scheman, whatever replaced it could perhaps integrate better with Hilton. They've been looking for a way to increase the premium space in hilton (as johnnys is not meeting that need and is downright claustrophobic ) for some time now (another expansion was announced a year or two ago to donors but i think that fell through), perhaps if the new building was more directly connected to Hilton that could be a piece of it? Could announce that, whatever else is being done with the new building, and an update on the concourse widening.

• Friendly
Reactions: aklineisu

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Yeah, iirc that expansion was a $40 million project half funded by ISU half to be funded by the city. If they want a new facility and still want the larger square footage that expansion would have brought, obviously that project would be significantly more expensive.

Depends what all they announce. If you knocked down Scheman, whatever replaced it could perhaps integrate better with Hilton. They've been looking for a way to increase the premium space in hilton (as johnnys is not meeting that need and is downright claustrophobic ) for some time now (another expansion was announced a year or two ago to donors but i think that fell through), perhaps if the new building was more directly connected to Hilton that could be a piece of it? Could announce that, whatever else is being done with the new building, and an update on the concourse widening.

No idea if this knocking down Scheman / erecting a hotel thing is real but it would make some sense. I haven't been in Scheman in a few years but it was well past showing its age even 10 years ago and needed to be refreshed. I don't recall specifics of the city vote that failed a few years ago but it would have added significantly more (and nicer) convention space, which the area needs in order to stay competitive.

Perhaps most interesting here is that the athletic department is getting creative in diversifying its revenue streams. An AD-dept-owned convention space and hotel will print money.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
My money's on this...

tumblr_lt139nM8PP1qkfnu9o1_500.gif

You know, for kids.

Reactions: 3GenClone

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
No idea if this knocking down Scheman / erecting a hotel thing is real but it would make some sense. I haven't been in Scheman in a few years but it was well past showing its age even 10 years ago and needed to be refreshed. I don't recall specifics of the city vote that failed a few years ago but it would have added significantly more (and nicer) convention space, which the area needs in order to stay competitive.

Perhaps most interesting here is that the athletic department is getting creative in diversifying its revenue streams. An AD-dept-owned convention space and hotel will print money.
I’m pretty sure they just finished remolding part of it.

• Informative
Reactions: 2speedy1

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

How will a convention center there work? Everyone says they will never build a parking ramp in the area because of tail gating etc. But you would have to have a substantial parking ramp for a hotel and convention center in that area, considering some of those events will be held on the same dates of athletic events in Hilton and JTS that need all that parking. I believe it can be done but it may change some significant parking areas around Iowa State Center.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
How will a convention center there work? Everyone says they will never build a parking ramp in the area because of tail gating etc. But you would have to have a substantial parking ramp for a hotel and convention center in that area, considering some of those events will be held on the same dates of athletic events in Hilton and JTS that need all that parking. I believe it can be done but it may change some significant parking areas around Iowa State Center.

I'm just a guy speculating about stuff on a message board. I'm sure the professionals will work all that stuff out.

mplueg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 27, 2009
Doesn’t matter if city voted it down x number of times in the past. Start of August it became athletics department property not any different then any other expansion now

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Help Support Us

Become a patron