How did Iowa State become a "Busch Light" fan following?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

What's your favorite beer?

• Total voters

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I used to drink a Beer called Schaffers Light. This was early 90's. It was actually cheaper than Natty. You could get a 12 pack for $2.99. We used to get a crap load and go boating to the Party Cove at the Ozarks. The beer was pretty terrible. However, after 2 or 3 nobody noticed anyway and nobody on other boats ever tried to take our beer.

Reactions: ca4cy

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
I love all kinds of beer....and wine....and whiskey....****...maybe I'm an alcoholic?

Anyway, it is REALLY cool to bag on Busch Light to show all of the other message board folks how sophisticated you are.

Bottom line....If I am playing a round of golf on a hot day, mowing the lawn, camping or sitting in church...there is nothing more refreshing than a good ole Busch Latte.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yup, same people who get the supersized meal at McDonalds and order a Diet Coke.

Ya dogg there’s nothing better than doing a triathlon and then immediately going to a CrossFit competition and then pounding some Ultras so you don’t lose all your sick gainz.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I went to Iowa State from 01-05 and no one really drank Busch Light. If you went out east to Iowa City and UNI, you saw people drinking it there. It seemed like Keystone, Natural Light, and Bud Light were the top 3 beers of choice at every tailgate or house party on campus. Natty Light and Keystone were both 30 packs and us poor college kids always bought it for the extra 6 beers at the same price. The first time I ever really heard people drank it much in Ames was when Chris started writing about it being his beer of choice.

Lastly, I will probably get torched for this, but.... BUSCH LIGHT SUCKS!!!! I'd much rather drink a shiner bock, bud or even coors light before you got me dipping into that crap.

Go State!
It is just a horrible, horrible excuse for beer.

• Agree
Reactions: KnappShack

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
I don't think it originally had anything to do with Iowa State. It was and it the most popular beer in the state.
I stock AB product on the weekends, and Busch Light is 2-1 everything else combined, unless there's a big sale on Bud Light or something.
Personally, I don't drink enough to have a preference, a lot I haven't tried or don't remember. Of the cheap college beer, Natty was by far the worst, struggled to get through that 30 pack.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I was at ISU from 01 - 05 and we drank a lot of Busch Light. A LOT.

Bud Light was saved for special occasions :D

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Will this combine be in ames saturday?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190913-103220_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190913-103220_Facebook.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 16

ZJohnson

Mar 27, 2006
Charlotte
It's what I "grew up" drinking in HS and through most of my early 20's before getting into craft. I am now a craft beer buyer for multiple bars and love craft beer, but I always have a few Latte's in fridge. Sorry, not sorry.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
During college I went to a Christmas party that had someone dressed up as Santa at it. Everyone was supposed to bring a wrapped gift - $2 or less - that Santa would later distribute randomly. One guy brings his gift and then whispers in Santa's ear. When gifts were opened we learn that Santa was instructed to give that particular present to someone 19 years old or older because it was a 12 pack of Schaefer's Light. $1.99 including deposit.

I must admit to drinking crap like that at times, but we would generally drink Bud Light when we could afford it. I really don't even like Bud Light anymore.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
HS = High Life & Natty Lite/Ice & Bud Ice

College = Keystone & Rolling Rock & Leinenkugels & Olympia & coots banquet

Immediate post college = Busch light & coors light

I have money post college phase = Sierra Nevada pale ale, anchor steam, coors light, Busch light

Now = IPA (prefer DSM IPA), pseudo Sue, seventh son brewery beers (CBus brewery), coors light, Busch light

I’ve also always loved champagne:

College: Cook’s or Andre
Immediate post college: martini and Rossi

I have money post college phase: Chandon

Now: back to martini and Rossi because I pound bottles like I’m in the VIP lounge at a rap show
So you came full circle...

550x300_-HL_NYE.png

Reactions: Gunnerclone

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
If you wanted to class up your dorm party with bottles, a case of Busch Light was almost always the cheapest way to go back in the early 90's. Pair it with some Everclear jello shots and some jungle juice for the ladies and you were good to go. #swanky

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
Same with NE Iowa. Dubuque county its just called Buschwater.

True story: co-worker went out to nice dinner at nice restaurant with her husband, a fairly Basic Iowa Boy. She ordered glass of wine, he asked for beer choices and of course all craft/IPA/import - he no likey. He said "wish I could just get a Busch Light" thus embarrassing his wife. She says "well, they'd probably have to bring it in a brown paper bag".

Waitress comes back with a tall boy Busch Light in a brown paper bag. Wife was absolutely mortified (eventually she laughed), husband was smiling ear to ear.

Excellent work by the waitress.
Way back in the day when I use to go to visit friends at UofD the beer of choice in Dubuque was Old Style but the professional drinker (Residence of Wisconsin) drank Miller High Life in glass bottles.